Z1 - Oil cooler access

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

Z1 - Oil cooler access

Post by Jet »

Gents,

Need your help. Been putting this off for ages, but has anyone ever replaced the Oil cooler? The top plate came loose, but not noticed any sort of adverse effect, drives the same, temperature the same, do I even need it?

They seem to be unique to this car, not shared with the e30, are they easy to replace, just undertray and front bumper off?

Thanks

Jet
TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: Z1 - Oil cooler access

Post by TJS »

J

I assume the "top plate" is structural to prevent twisting and leaking. I would have a chat with Aaron Radiators in Crystal Palace about a repair, they should be able to braze the cover back into place. I have used them in the past for MG and Land Rover radiator re-cores.

https://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/classic ... l-coolers/

Good luck getting it out of the car.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hi Jamal,

I replaced the oil cooler pipes on my E36 M3 a while back and, apart from the connections to the cooler itself being pretty crusty, it was easy enough to get it out and freed. You wouldn't need the bumper off, just the undertray. I would replace pipes and cooler together for peace of mind on a car of this age, togther with the 'o' rings that come at each end of the pipes. I hasten to add that on my (shed of a...) M3, I just replaced the pipes, as it was they that were knackered and I didn't see benefit in replacing a perfectly good radiator. I'm a lot more caring of the Zettie and it would get the lot if required :-)
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Cheers TJ/Sam,

Will have to find time to get a closer look