Recharging A/C Experiences ??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Recharging A/C Experiences ??

Post by Bertie »

I never considered I would use A/C in an open convertible . Yesterday I decided that 40C weather and traffic jams could change my mind . I turned on the A/C , probably for the first time ever , and received a blast of hot air .The A/C y needs, as a minimum, a new charge of refrigerant . Has any one recharged their A/C using one of the DIY kits available , or is this a job for a BMW shop ?
Cheers
Bertie ,
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Recharging A/C Experiences ??

Post by LaRy »

This is definitely not any DIY, as you in those cases will use propane instead of the correct refrigerant. Most probable it is just to fill it up again, as even up to 10% leakage per year is normal.
But it is definitely not any reason to use the BMW shop. Today, with the needed license to work with AC, I would say that all shops working with this, even small ones, is using the same equipment. They will empty the system, they will refill the system with correct specified amount of refrigerant. If it still doesn’t work, they check a couple of sensors for under / over pressure.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I had mine recharged by a local garage a couple of years ago and it cost 60 pounds Sterling. The chap in the garage was amazed by how much gas it needs, so be aware they could bump up the price if they know. DiY is not a recommended option because a 'proper' recharge checks for leaks and dries out the system before recharging - neither will be possible with a DiY kit.
Bertie

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bertie »

Thanks guys for your advice. I will investigate local A/C shops . I had forgotten the purge and dry step before refilling the system . I hope the compressor seals have not dried out .
Cheers
Bertie
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

As Motco says, it's a big system. 0.9 kg refrigerant , that is double compared to newer cars.
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

Not really a DIY job.
I got my car A/C done at a local Tyre & Auto Centre a couple of years ago - A/C refreshed, evacuated, tested & refilled (inc lub oil & leak dye) - got a great discount deal which cost me £20. The A/C is still blowing ice cold! :)
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina