Driving in France

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Driving in France

Post by leahandsteve »

Going to France in the Z3 in August.

Can i just get those sticky beam deflector things for the headlights or do the headlights have to be adjusted by the dealer?

On my old E36 i was told the lights could only be adjusted by the dealer.

Thanks.

Headlights

Post by Guest »

Like the E36, the Z3 headlights cannot be adjusted for RH dipping, but - like the E36 again - it is easy to blank off the offending part of the beam.

This does NOT make the dipped beams goto the right, but simply stops the LH component. You will therefore lose most of the dipped beams, but ther is no choice, unless you want to upset a lot of Frenchmen - and me!

BMW supply a set of headlamp masking foils under part number 63.12.9.071.687 with alcohol wipes to remove any adhesive residue.

The important part is the alcohol wipes, as any hydrocarbon solvent (petrol, white spirit etc) will damage the polycarbonate headlamp cover.

If you look at the headlamp cover glass, you will see small 'corners' of two rectangles in front of each outer light unit. The set to the offside (ie LHS as one looks onto the headlight) is the set to blank off on a UK (RHD) car.

For many years, however, I have used 50 mm wide PVC insulation tape, cutting it to size and cleaning the covers after removal with Rain-X, whichis mainly alcohol. Many people are afraid to use naythign without a BMW badge on it, but it's cheap and it works. The choice is yours.

I will place this in the Z3 Knowledgebase for future reference.
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Excellent, thanks very much Mike. :)
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Halfords do european travel sets which includes the headlamp masks & magnetic GB badges for about a fiver. It's what I used on my Eurpoean tour
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster

France

Post by Guest »

Not a lot of people know, but France now requires all cars to carry first-aid kits, spare bulbs, a fire extinguisher, and - since the 1st of July - a fluorescent yellow waistcoat.

When the UK motorist is finally required to also carry useful things such as this, there will no doubt be an outcry about dictatorship from Brussels etc, but it's about time drivers in the UK got out of thinking any emergency can be handled with a credit card and a mobile phone.