Z3 Boot Lid

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ant52z3

blank.gif

Z3 Boot Lid

Post by Ant52z3 »

Hi

Just been to a breakers for a boot lid... problem...

The wiring to the third brake light and boot lock which goes through the lid doesn't seem to simply unplug. The only way of removing seems to be to cut the wires to the main loom. I don't fancy doing any splicing any suggestions???

Thanks
Anthony
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

It would be best to cut it somwhere inside the boot and then just use insulated inline bullet type crimps from Maplin or RS, leave your self as much spare cable as you can when you cut.
BMW do a repair loom as this cable is prone to breaking at the hinge point but it is expensive and appears to have crimps to join it to the main loom.

See here part 1:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=10

Crimps

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... &source=15

Regards

Ade
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

why won't it pull through?? Is it due to connectors?? Most should have demountable pins so you can remove the connector just make sur you make colour and pin location to put it all back.
I may be wrong but if it doesn't fit the connectors where fitted after the wiring was put through this must be able to be reversed???
Ant52z3

blank.gif

Post by Ant52z3 »

Looking at the oem bmw pic it should unplug. Maybe will have to remove the third brake light. feeding the wiring back through for the new boot may be a pain tho.

Anways the boot at the breakers is scratched a fair bit and dinted so would need a re-spray...

Any one got a topaz blue boot in good nick? LOL

Cheers
Anthony
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

What's wrong with you current boot??
Ant52z3

blank.gif

Post by Ant52z3 »

Has the holes for the luggage rack on the one I have. Looks a bit crap when the rack if off with the plastic hole plugs in. Also I think the source of my recent boot leak has been through the luggage rack holes.
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

do the wires sereously not unplug from the boot lid?.... are these deliberate design flaws simply to generate workshop time???

-Why do I keep answering my own questions?, of course they are.

There are lots of things like this on BMW's for some reason.
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K