Hood Rubbing

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hood Rubbing

Post by mich »

Over the past few months I have noticed that the nap is being worn off the Z hood, mainly in a couple of places as shown in pic [not my Z] It is due to rubbing when the hood is down and will only get worse as time goes by, my question is this:
Is adjustment provided to limit the DOWN position of the hood frame so that the material will not be quite so squashed??
I realise that I could put towelling or similar in-between the folds when lowering but what a hassle.

AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

Mines the same :( :( but i think it's just wear and tare the roof i still the original and as such has worn over 11 years!!!!
Going to have it replaced soon but would be interested if anyone has experience in avoiding the problem,to prevent the issue on the new roof
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

Ive experienced that too.

321bhp (Terry) very kindly sent me some black roof fabric off his old top, and I just cut out some patches and glued them on to the wearing surface with 'Stormsure' from ebay.

Works fine, and you can't really see the patches anyway unless you look hard. It was a good repair.

The roof is 10 years old + now, so it's fair wear and tear. I think it only wears through the bottom layer of fabric anyway. The roof is a laminate of various textiles.....

I have a little fabric left if anyone wants some.
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Mines the same also, wouldn't mind some of that fabric if there is any going :D

I will have alook at the glue you mentioned.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

PM me your address, I'll send you some, and then you can send on and so on...
cowboybebop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cowboybebop »

Mines also the same place... but i noticed on my old Zed which wasnt an electric powered roof, there was no rubbing
wonder if this is just a problem with the powered hoods?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mines a manual hood and there is very slight rubbing where the fabric has the high spots over the hoops, ie lighter areas. To be honest I think its pretty much unavoidable and the Zed 3 seems to be one of the better cars for hood wear. The hoods on the MINI cabs seem to look pretty awful after a short time with rubbing marks and creasing, same goes for the latest VW Beetle. At work I get a 2000 Mazda MX5 parking next to me and the hood just isn't a patch on the Zeds, its like a plastic type material and splits at the edges where is folds which seems a common problem.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

TitanTim wrote:Mines a manual hood and there is very slight rubbing where the fabric has the high spots over the hoops, ie lighter areas. To be honest I think its pretty much unavoidable and the Zed 3 seems to be one of the better cars for hood wear. The hoods on the MINI cabs seem to look pretty awful after a short time with rubbing marks and creasing, same goes for the latest VW Beetle. At work I get a 2000 Mazda MX5 parking next to me and the hood just isn't a patch on the Zeds, its like a plastic type material and splits at the edges where is folds which seems a common problem.

Tim.
I think that that the later Mk 2 MX-5's (commonly referred to as the MK 2.5) was fitted with a better hood fabric like that on the Z, and it also has a glass rear window.

Early MK 1's were a bit poor IIRC.

I don;t know who make the fabic for the Z3 hood, but it is pretty good and hard wearing. I can;t confess to being an expert on cabrio's.

They have certainly come on a bit compared to the Moris Minor and 2CV hoods!