engine revving on its own

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Stevie64

Z3 roadster 2.8

engine revving on its own

Post by Stevie64 »

Moved to correct forum - please read the instructions on the Knowledgebase! MF

Hi all, my engine on my 2.8 Z3 has just starting to rev on its own between 1750 and up to 2750 revs. Any ideas please. When warm it ticks over normally then goes into a mind of its own, up to 2750 and back down to 1750 revs. any help will be appreciated. Cheers
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you try the search engine above as this is a well documented problem. Type in "unsteady idle", "cam position sensor", or "ICV" and click search for all terms.

Good luck.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Stevie64

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stevie64 »

Thanks for reply. I think first port of call will be cleaning ICV
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

1) Clean ICV
2) Check for split hose / leaks
3) Replace cam position sensor.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

If all that fails.............................Exorcism !

:lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Ballie

M roadster S50

Post by Ballie »

I had the same problem. Turned out to be my injectors. I had them replaced under warranty. Try some redex injection cleaner. Might help.
Image Proud to be British!
Stevie64

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stevie64 »

Sorry for placing in wrong forum.
Just an add on to my original question, most of solutions seem to be for cold running problems, my Z3 runs perfect until it gets up to running temperature, and then the revs go crazy, I dont wish to sound ungrateful for responses, but i'm not to knowledgeable on mechnics of a car. Cheers
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Stevie64 wrote:.....but i'm not to knowledgeable on mechnics of a car. Cheers
Join the club :wink:

to quote Benjamin Disraeli "to be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge". :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Also have a check to make sure that the throttle is closing off properly - you should be able to operate the throttle linkage from under the bonnet (mind your fingers!) - if it is properly closed off, then I would expect to start looking at all the components that supply fuel air mixture - ICV, MAF, Lambda, injectors, and ECU. Cam position sensor would seem unlikely if it is running smoothly - this tends to cause uneven running (at best) and non-running (at worst).

The reason I suggest the throttle itself is as having had the carb and other ancillaries off my other car, I eventually found my sticking throttle was due to the extra bit of throttle cable catching and stopping the throttle returning to the fully closed position - the simplest things often cause the most head scratching... :head:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Stevie64

Z3 roadster 2.8

idle

Post by Stevie64 »

thanks for responses. Cleaned ICV and TB No better. So I got Z3 on machine today. Came up 2 faults. 1 coolant temp sensor. 2 ICV. Recommended to try CTS first so ordered from BMW. Here's hoping!
phb10186

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by phb10186 »

If it's not the ICV, then check it could be one of the leads running to it, or the airbox sensor.

Is the air intake ducting all ok? I had a 2 inch hole in mine when I took it out, and made the car run terrible.

ICV is the correct area to look

'Replace cam shaft sensor' the generic 'Fix-all' for BMW's
1998 2.8 M52TU, pre-facelift, hard top, montreal blue, tan interior, 91K
Stevie64

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stevie64 »

WEY-HEY, BINGO, JOBS A GOOD-UN. Fitted coolant temperature sensor (less than £12 at BMW) 10 minute job. Had Z3 back on diagnostic, showing no faults, running sweet as a nut.
Thanks again for all responses, I was expecting a lot more than £40 and a bit of time to get it sorted