Final Drive Unit 1998 Z3 1.9

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Final Drive Unit 1998 Z3 1.9

Post by Brian H »

Hi All,

I have been a member for a while but this is my first post. I Picked up my first Z3 in November last year and I have enjoyed reading through pages and pages of info and found loads of useful hints & tips from re-coding my alarm keyfobs to putting my headlamps in the oven :shock: .

One of the posts that caught my eye was the dreaded spot weld failure in the boot area, after inspection I found that I had three broken spot welds :bawl: .

I took my car to the local dealer in Perth, after speaking to the service manager he arranged for an inspection by the BMW UK Technical Manager.

A few weeks passed and the inspection took place but unfortunatily the bad news arrived :head: , they were unable to help with this problem. Not satisfied with this I contacted BMW UK direct, I gave all the details along with pictures of the failed welds, BMW UK issued me a case number looked into the problem.

Today I received the news that I wanted, they are going to repair the car and pay for 100% parts and Labour as a gesture of goodwill :D :D :D .

I look forward to many more hours of happy reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thats great news

I hope my recent thread was of assisance :wink:

Its very interesting:

- your car is much older than mine and they still offer FOC
- your car is a 1.9 proving not just a "big engine" issue

Thanks for letting us know.

I think there are some people on here who have been refused on age grounds who will be very interested in this.

Try and get some documents of the repair from BMW if you can as I did. All helps others to give examples when/if they have issues.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Foggy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Foggy »

Jonttt, I read your recent thread with interest as I, like Ardchyle, have an even earlier Z3 1.9 pre facelift (1997). Though thinking the same “It’s a big engine thing”, I did take the opportunity to check my spot welds, but fortunately they appeared clean and rust free (but for how long?).

Ardchyle, thanks for that information, and thanks for taking the time to tell us of the bad news and then the good news. Please let us know how you get on. As Jonttt says all supporting information would be useful for the rest of us (should we ever need it).
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Jonttt,

It was after reading your thread that this all started, I am now just waiting to get the car booked in. I will update when I have more info.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Got a call from the dealer yesterday to organise the repair, the car is going to the body shop at the end of march should be in for approx 1 week.

Popped into the body shop today to see if is going to be possible to replace all the rear bushes whilst the rear axle is removed to carry out the work, got the go ahead to do this :lol: :lol:

Three days on the trott I've had the roof down and loving it!
paul46rider

BMW other

Post by paul46rider »

any updates as yet mate
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The Z3 went to the garage yesterday, work starts on Monday for approx 1 week. When I spoke to the receptionist at the body shop she commented that they had done a few of these. :shock:
Animal

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Animal »

Can you point me to the original post on the spot weld failure please, I have done a search but cant find it.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Not the original but recent and very relevent :wink:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19264
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
paul46rider

BMW other

Post by paul46rider »

Ardchyle wrote:The Z3 went to the garage yesterday, work starts on Monday for approx 1 week. When I spoke to the receptionist at the body shop she commented that they had done a few of these. :shock:
cheers for the reply mate, hope o speak to you soon

Paul