Dash instruments not working any ideas please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
helipilot

Z3 roadster 2.0

Dash instruments not working any ideas please

Post by helipilot »

Hi all, got in the car this morning and none of the instruments are working but all the warning lights / indicator lights are okay, any ideas about what this could be would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Try (after disabling the underbonnet alarm siren) unplugging the battery for 10 minutes.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I had this twice with mine in fairly close succession about 2 years ago. All of the gauges were reading zero, but the odometer was working fine. I didn't have time to think about it the first time and used my satnav as a speedo - it had cleared by the following morning. The second time I pulled all the fuses for the instruments one at a time and it started working again. It is either an electronic glitch or a loose connection in the instrument cluster, but it will be a pain to track down if it is as intermittent as mine.

It may be possible to get a digital speedo in km/h by putting the odometer into self-test mode if you don't have a satnav. Might be worth trying this anyway as it will tell if it is just the gauges and not the sensors - the gauges in the zed are slightly odd in that everything is measured digitally and then put through an ADC to give the analogue display. Self-test mode is described in the knowledgebase on here.

Oh, and to qualify estocks post above, you only need to worry about the alarm siren on cars built in 1998 or earlier with the separate fob type alarm.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
helipilot

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by helipilot »

Did the battery disconnect for 10 min like Estocks suggested and now all is working okay, thanks for the help !!!
parkesp

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by parkesp »

I also had this problem and it seemed to be a loose fuse. It was at night so I just gave a little push down to the fuses in the compartment under the bonnet-just to make sure they made contact. It worked. Never came back but I m sure you could locate the fuse easy enough. Pat
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

This has happened to me tonight. Turned off the car to deliver a letter and then turned on engine and no instruments. Had to drive 15 miles by guess work.

Anyway, where are the fuses for the instrument panel? Under the bonnet or are there fuse boxes elsewhere?

I wonder if there is someone somewhere puishing buttons that cause intermittent faults to occur globally? Or is that paranoir setting in?

Merry Christmas to all.

Peter.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The ones I pulled were all in the main fusebox in the engine compartment. Almost all the fuses are in there.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
helipilot

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by helipilot »

Hi Wessex
Did you manage to find the cause mine have gone again !!! and will not come back, noticed the warning lights on the gauges are okay just the needles dont move.
Any more ideas welcome !!!
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

have had this happen twice in the last couple of years.

Second time i thumped the top of the dash and it's been fine ever since, nearlly a year now.
diddykong157

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by diddykong157 »

I have heard of chaffed wires behind the instrument cluster! Worth a look to check!

1. Disconnect battery
2. Remove 2 torx screws holding the cluster in
3' Use a suckker to pull the cluster out, its a snug fit.
4. Remove cluster and connectors and inpect wiring.

You could also change/swap any blown bulbs, clean the connectors with electrical contact spray.