coolant change on 1.9

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ms.smally

blank.gif

coolant change on 1.9

Post by ms.smally »

Hi guys

After doing a search I have found some useful tips, but the only step by step I could find was for the 2.8 engine. Does anyone have a basic guide to flushing and refilling the coolant on a 1.9?

I am fairly competamt so it doesnt have to be too detailed, just a guide as to where the drain plugs are and the correct way to flush and bleed the sytem.

Thanks in advance
Helen
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I had to do this a few months back when i changed the radiator and thermostat.

the drain plug for the rad is under the expansion tank on the right (nearside)

i would personally take the undertray off the car, crack the drain plug, and remove the bottom hose, this lets more kaka out of the rad quicker, you can flush better then.

re-filling is a faf, fill the system with antifreeze and water, i run it with the expansion tank cap off for a while and keep topping it up, not to the top though., then put the cap back on to pressurise the system and take the bleed plug/air vent out of the top of the rad, next to the cap.

bleed the system out of air until water comes out of the hole. this takes a bit of time. check the expansion tank level frequently. best go out for a drive, re-check and bleed if necessary

:)

good luck
Still modifying
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Similar

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Coolant changes on the 1.9 engine are, as Haynes would say, 'Similar.'

The radiator drain plug is in the same place, but that for the block is at the back of the engine. There is a bleed screw near the thermostat - they are about 15 mm diameter, with a lareg cross head.
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

so I should be looking tolocte two seperate drain plugs?

I have the blue one at the bottom right of the radiator, can anyone give me guidence towards the other one?

Thanks again
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Drain Plugs

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - It'sgood practice to replace the platic radiator plug, and the sealing washer on the block drain plug - which is at the back of the block, on the driver's side.
ms.smally

blank.gif

Re: Drain Plugs

Post by ms.smally »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Yes - It'sgood practice to replace the platic radiator plug, and the sealing washer on the block drain plug - which is at the back of the block, on the driver's side.
so the block plug is accessed from below then, theres no way it can be seen from above?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Block plug

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you do not have air con, the drain plug should be visible and accessible from above - have a look for it.
ms.smally

blank.gif

Re: Block plug

Post by ms.smally »

Mike Fishwick wrote:If you do not have air con, the drain plug should be visible and accessible from above - have a look for it.
thank you again. I do have air con, so I guess its a creeper job....
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

I forgot to mention, I am changing the thermostat, will I still have to drain the block or can I just flush it through with the thermostat disconected?
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Yes just remove the undertray and backflush the block thro the thermostat hole in the block. That's what I did
Still modifying