Moving seats £1600 to fix!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hardupteacher

Z3 roadster 2.8

Moving seats £1600 to fix!

Post by Hardupteacher »

Took my recently acquired approved BMW 2.8z3 to dealership to see if they will fix seats under warranty. Bill comes to £1600 and they are applying for approval! I would rather they give me half that to put up with it!
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

wow, whats wrong with them exactly??
Hardupteacher

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hardupteacher »

Slight movement back and forward on both. Think the replacement bushes would fix it but they want to replace the mechanism.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

The ones they replace them with will fail just as fast :|
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

One hour labour and a £10 part.... talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.......

Is your Zed still under warranty???.....ah just saw the 'used approved bit'.....
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi, I have just had fitted by my son in law a set of seat bushes from Doug Whalen. $20 inlcuding post.

Not something I would do myself but if you are half handy and follow the instructions 2 hours max will see it out.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

No way, Id rather you brought the part and popped round my place, I'd fit them for free. Honestly, dealers, rip off. I'm yet to get my bushes done, but i'll be ordering them soon, just so busy at weekends now the sun is out....car cleaning etc.

Johnz3, could you give me the URL for Doug Whalen's website
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

i did this at the weekend and took us 2 hours from scratch with no previous idea. if you watch the video and read doug's instructions its an easy job.

£1600?? what a bunch of jokers!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I found a German Pfennig coins chocked in each my seat rails! They must have known about the problem in the factory (MY1997)!
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

indizee wrote: Johnz3, could you give me the URL for Doug Whalen's website
Here you go: http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/index ... ducts_id=8
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

estocks wrote:I found a German Pfennig coins chocked in each my seat rails! They must have known about the problem in the factory (MY1997)!
weren't they built in The US? lol
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

As I posted earlier did mine last night. Just come back from first drive and cannot believe the difference. Not only do the seat bushes stop any movement they seem to tighten up the whole mechanism.

Well worth doing and a bit of an eye opener when you see the state of the original bushes
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

The BMW approved fix is to replace the complete underside of the seat; all the mechanisms, all the electrics, everything, hence the price. And yes, the new bushes will wear out in no time anyway.

Obviously they won't fit unapproved parts like Whalen, so there is no way you can get the job done properly under BMW warranty.

A.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Alfie wrote:Obviously they won't fit unapproved parts like Whalen, so there is no way you can get the job done properly under BMW warranty.

A.
You could talk them into giving you the old parts, then do the Whalen fix and sell the new parts on eBay. :idea:
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Sorry to have to say this, but to me it looks like the dealer asked for the £1600 job to be approved becasue they don't really want to do it at all. If they ask BMW to approve £1600 they will most lilely say no and its easier to tell the custromer, "sorry its not us its BMW".

If BMW approve then go get it done. Sure the OEM bushes will fail again, but not for a while and you probably won't own the car then anyway. If they say no, create a fuiss and havethe dealer replace just the bushes as a gesture of goodwill. Come up blank then go Whalen and DIY, I did it and it really is not that hard.

Si.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

All you guys having problems with your seats I may have an answer for you but please hold fire until next week until I get some feedback then I will offer up a solution.

Watch this space. :)
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

If you search you tube there is a guy on there showing you how to replace the bushes, I followed his instructions and replaced the bushes on my seats. It was straight forward. :D
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

If anyone needs a set of Whalen bushes drop me a PM as i have a spare set
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Tiggerr

Z3 roadster 1.9

moving seats £1600 to fix

Post by Tiggerr »

£1600!!! absolute rip off. As others have done, buy some Whalen bushes and have a go at fitting them it's not difficult and the difference is amazing. If you search here and on youtube there a informative posts that will guide you through the process.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

£1600 is only a rip off if you are being asked to pay for it yourself. As Alfie says, the official BMW fix is not simply a case of the dealer replacing the bushes - they replace most of the seat base and the runners and these parts are expensive.

I have obtained some of Doug's bushes and will have a go at fitting them when I get a chance. My drivers seat moves rather disconcertingly under braking and it makes my bottom nervous.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
vzh7gk
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by vzh7gk »

I have Doug's bushes, just need to find the time to get the car to my garage...

Cheers,
Graham (G4FUJ)
Prescott marshal and Hill Controller
Found another Z3 so back here after a long break :) 1999 1.9, Palmetto Green
1 Morgan 4/4 (selling in Spring) and a Land Rover 90 (keeping forever)
diddykong157

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by diddykong157 »

shantybeater - I could do with a set. PM sent
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

The whalen bushings do a great job. Did the job on my best friends 1.9 at zfest '09 in Cincinnati Ohio. My '00 isn't exhibiting symptoms yet but I bought a set in advance for when that problem rears it's ugly head. Oh and yes every Z3 roadster was manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina USA!
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

amancuso wrote:Oh and yes every Z3 roadster was manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina USA!
Maybe there is a BMW Part number for a pfennig then? :lol:
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Just fitted the Whalen bushes to my driver's seat this morning.

Took just under two hours, including getting the tools out and packing away and a 10 minute coffee break. Hardest part was getting the cable under the seat unplugged. It turned out to be locked in the socket with a sliding plastic mechanism that I'd never seen before. Apart from that take it slow and carefully and it's an easy enough job.

And the verdict..... completely fixes the problem.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Anyone else have a spare set as mine is getting really annoying now.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Yup I have mate
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
DougW.

blank.gif

Post by DougW. »

I must say that I'm a huge believer in the free enterprise system; it's what makes the world go around.

But let's be frank; your new "solution" is quite simply the same basic item that I've been machining and selling for eight years now, offered for sale at a little more than half my usual price.

The installation videos that you've posted show one of my customers installing my bushes. But that's fine; I have no right to the videos, and I had no hand in the production of them.

At this point, you are at least the third person to jump on the bandwagon since I began offering the bushes, but no hard feelings.

Best of luck to you, mate!
Hardupteacher

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hardupteacher »

After a bit of tooing and froing between local dealer and dealer I bought from the seats are being repaired under warranty. Just need vw to stump up the £1400 to fix the cpommon ESP fault on my golf that is 3 months past 3 year warranty.