after 2 years searching i got them

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

after 2 years searching i got them

Post by Canman »

got a delivery today of my complete roll bar kit in beige . been searching high and low for these for 2 years. i got them from FAB BMW recycling which is way down south somewhere. i spent most of the afternoon cleaning the plastics as they were very dirty. pleased with the finish now though and cant wait for time to fit it. oh and yes is all on my kitchen table :D any hints,tips or advice on fitting welcome. i do have the single bar fitted now which i only put on last autumn. so will be selling that if anyone interested and will throw in the seat belt turrets which are cut ready. :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

ain't it good when your dedication pays off?! :D
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

HI Canman,

I fitted the exact same kit, in black, last week.

It took me just under 4hrs, very sore fingers, and if you see my thread you need to strip your car.
It is just fiddly with lots of screws and bolts, but is well worth it. Im glad I got mine within 2 weeks of ownership. If you need help, ask.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

indizee wrote:HI Canman,

I fitted the exact same kit, in black, last week.

It took me just under 4hrs, very sore fingers, and if you see my thread you need to strip your car.
It is just fiddly with lots of screws and bolts, but is well worth it. Im glad I got mine within 2 weeks of ownership. If you need help, ask.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
thanks, i read your post at the time and a great insight. yes you got lucky with finding one but have seen black ones come up a few times, even thought of having black as i thought i would never get a beige one , without buying new. cant believe BMW ever made them without roll bars, shame on you !

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Some more photos of fitting if you look at my posts in this thread: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3439

There should be no need to change the lateral trim panels (this bits with the speakers in) if yours are already beige.

It will probably be easier to take the new storage box as is than fit the new lid and hinges to your old one - that way you can leave the liner and everything in place.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
badboyblue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by badboyblue »

Don't forget to change the key barrel for the cubby lock from your old set to the new one. Only adds about half an hour to the job but is very straightforward.
Daz2626

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Daz2626 »

Gonna have to treat yourself and get a new wind deflector now Canman :wink:
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Were the roll bars optional in Europe? Over here they were standard after 1997 model year.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

amancuso wrote:Were the roll bars optional in Europe? Over here they were standard after 1997 model year.
Same over here. Something to do with the American litigation culture in the event of a rollover prevented them being fitted to early models.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

estocks wrote:
amancuso wrote:Were the roll bars optional in Europe? Over here they were standard after 1997 model year.
Same over here. Something to do with the American litigation culture in the event of a rollover prevented them being fitted to early models.
Eh? What? They were certainly NOT standard in Europe as early as 1997 and I am not sure that they were even standard post-facelift, though a lot of post-facelift cars did get them specced as an option, there are post-facelift cars that came without them. What is true is that from 1997 on, all European cars that did not have them fitted at the factory could have them retrofitted.

Cheers R.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Robert T wrote:Eh? What? They were certainly NOT standard in Europe as early as 1997 and I am not sure that they were even standard post-facelift, though a lot of post-facelift cars did get them specced as an option, there are post-facelift cars that came without them. What is true is that from 1997 on, all European cars that did not have them fitted at the factory could have them retrofitted.

Cheers R.
I thought they were standard in 1998, and the brackets were not fitted to the chassis between 1996 and 1997.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

estocks wrote:I thought they were standard in 1998, and the brackets were not fitted to the chassis between 1996 and 1997.
If they were, I wouldn't have spunked the best part of a grand retrofitting them to my 01/99 car. :wink:

From 1997 on, the chassis has the mounting holes to bolt the brackets to, but the brackets are not there. The easy way to tell is by the width of the storage box - the wider box occupies the space where the brackets would go.

Cheers R.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

They were a added option on mine ..... Option # 395 - Roll-Over Protection, as listed on my spec sheet