Another Newbie, Questions

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BigAl

blank.gif

Another Newbie, Questions

Post by BigAl »

Hi All

Another newbie to the Z fratenity here,first question is concerning colours, I'm going to look at a Z3 tomorrow its a lovely red colour but not the usual bright red colour,its darker and I think metallic the dealer says its called Sterene red but as I cannot find any listing of this colour is he mistaken, second question for now at least is regarding the sound a Z3 makes as I'm not overly concerned with outright performance I'm sure a 1.9 would be OK but I'm looking to get a six purely for the aural accompiment, as I'm finding it difficult to locate a 2.2 it looks like I'll end up buying a 2.0 do they sound just as "fruity"
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

2.0 is the worst as a motoring proposition in my view. Fuel consumption pretty much the same as a 2.8 with no more useable power than a well maintained and sorted 1.9.

in fact given the choice between the 2.0 and 1.9 (and i did have the choice when i bought mine) I would take the 1.9 any day - its more nimble than the ruddy great lump of the 2.0

if you want the noise of the 6 pot, go for the 2.8.

2.2's are facelift models and command a price premium

test drive whats out there and make up your own mind on what sounds best. personally, over 40mph on busy roads you wont be able to hear much of the 6 pot in the cruise as there is a lot of wind noise - at least thats what i found when i was doing my research and test driving the 12 or so i went to see over a 4 week period. if you can get a decent 2.8 with headlining though they have better soundproofing with the hood up so you would be able to hear the 6 pot better.

oh and unless you're buying a car with £1K's worth of decent audio fitment you really wont want to hear the standard stereo anyway - even if it is a harmon kardon setup :lol: :lol: :lol:

if this is going to be an occasional car and you have another for work etc bear in mind your insurance will start again at zero no claims...
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

groove65 wrote:2.0 is the worst as a motoring proposition in my view. Fuel consumption pretty much the same as a 2.8 with no more useable power than a well maintained and sorted 1.9.

in fact given the choice between the 2.0 and 1.9 (and i did have the choice when i bought mine) I would take the 1.9 any day - its more nimble than the ruddy great lump of the 2.0

if you want the noise of the 6 pot, go for the 2.8.

if this is going to be an occasional car and you have another for work etc bear in mind your insurance will start again at zero no claims...
IMHO I agree about the 1.9 vs 2.0 comments but I'm not sure that some of the 2.0 owners will :lol:

The 2.8 is a very useable engine capable of very relaxed cruising through to very spirited driving with reasonable consumption across the whole range. Its also available pre- and post- facelift with the models produced between Sep 98 and Mar 99 having the pre-facelift body and the later M52TU twin Vanos engine. AFAIK all the facelift models have the later M52TU engine.

I was in the same position with the insurance but my wife has been a named driver on both our other policies. Direct Line gave her the 60% discount but she has to build up her "official" NCB from scratch. This helped as we have to have all the cars insured for Class 1 business use and commuting for work.

Have fun on the test drives :D'
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The colour is probably Sienna Red as per this listing

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_colors.htm

It should say on a sticker on the suspension turret under the hood (but it will be in german :wink: )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

Mine is sienna red. Not many about!
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Go for a Z3M, you won't regret it.
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

think i'll get my tin hat on ready for the 2.0 owners - i can already hear the cries of "burn the heretic" :lol: :lol:

seriously though - get what YOU like and what gives you the most pleasure

if thats a 2.0 go for it !! life's too short and all we can give you is our opinions - you will instinctively know when you find that "right" car for you
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Sienna red is one of the most gorgeous colours.............. next to steel grey and ............................... and silver of course! :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

whiteminks wrote:Sienna red is one of the most gorgeous colours.............. next to steel grey and ............................... and silver of course! :D
You forgot Estoril Blue :D

Post by Guest »

Diamondj wrote:
whiteminks wrote:Sienna red is one of the most gorgeous colours.............. next to steel grey and ............................... and silver of course! :D
You forgot Estoril Blue :D
and Boston Green :D
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Never mind blues and greens, you forgot PINK :!: :!:

Image :devil:

Post by Guest »

Titan wrote:
Never mind blues and greens, you forgot PINK :!: :!:

Titan.... I think that is ni-on impossible !!!!
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Snoops wrote:Titan.... I think that is ni-on impossible !!!!
That's almost a subliminal typo..
Did you mean "neon" impossible ? :lol:

Post by Guest »

Titan wrote:
Snoops wrote:Titan.... I think that is ni-on impossible !!!!
That's almost a subliminal typo..
Did you mean "neon" impossible ? :lol:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

What about Chameleon?
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Whoops - I must apologise to BigAl
His thread is being hijacked and I'm partially responsible.
To answer your question, pink ones certainly get you noticed!
You will enjoy any engine size but I would recommend creating a "wish list". Test drive the 1.9 and 2.2 and decide which engine size you want.
When you've decided on the engine size, then you can start targeting your search for a car that ticks as many of the other boxes on your list as possible.
Inevitably it will be a compromise since it is rare to find two Zeds with identical specifications and colours.
I would advise patience and perseverance (if you can manage it!)
Image :devil: