Service Light Reset - Success and Failure - Any ideas?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Service Light Reset - Success and Failure - Any ideas?

Post by Zed Carer »

Background:

I've had the Z3 2yr 1m, done 10,700 miles, not used a drop of oil and still had 2 green lights showing. Last year it was due a brake fluid change and the clock came up - I changed the brake fluid when I fitted the new discs and pads last August.

Yesterday I serviced the Z3, oil + filter, checked the air box, checked the calipers / pads, etc. Last night I searched and found the instructions for resetting the service lights. So this evening I found a suitable piece of wire, turned the ignition to II and shorted out Pin 7 for 5 secs - turned the ignitions off and on again- still had 2 green lights. Waited 10 mins and did it all again - same result. OK 3rd time lucky :roll: and the result:

Still got 2 green lights showing :head: but

The brake fluid clock has reset and isn't showing now :P'

Anybody got any ideas :?:
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I think the fluid light turns off when you reset for <10seconds. Try using a running stopwatch to ensure your timing is correct.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Im having the same problem with resetting my Oil Service light. No matter how many different timings I use under 10 seconds, it wont reset.

I understand that the ignition needs to be at position II, is this the full turn to the stop before the engine starts with all the dashboard lights on?
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

estocks wrote:I think the fluid light turns off when you reset for <10seconds. Try using a running stopwatch to ensure your timing is correct.
I used 5 secs as I was using these instructions LINK that I came across last night when searching on here. I did use a watch rather than the "one elephant, two elephant" method.

The only thing that I can think of having had another look at the instructions is that I didn't put the top back on the Data Link Connector before I turned the ignition off.

I was more puzzled about how I managed to reset the clock but not the service lights :puzzle: as I didn't think that this would be possible just shorting out Pin 7.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Odd how you reset the inspection lamp in 7 seconds.
Grounding pin seven (7) for approximately twelve (12) seconds will do an inspection service reset.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

I think that if it's due an inspection next, rather than a service, the service reset will not reset it...
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

idont think im doing anything right. Ni manner of combinations of getting my oil service light reset has worked.

I'm beginning to think that my Pin 19 isnt for ressetting. And yes, I am using pin 19.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

19 is GND no? 7 is reset?
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Ah, thanks , i see what I have done there.

:head:
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Reset

Post by Mike Fishwick »

You have to remove the wire link whie the ignition is turned on - then switch it off.

The reset takes effect when the wire link is removed.
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Hooray! At last I managed to reset, well, everything.

I did the Oil service first, using the combo:

Ignition on, plug in short, unplug short, off ignition.

I think i had a few attempts to get the right timing all between 4 and 9 seconds. I think the lack of use of the 20PIN connector has made the female pins less conductive, So I scraped them all clean.

Also reset the service time clock, as it had a full service.

All nice and green row of lights. Thanks for All post helpers.

Now to get the damn INPA working.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

indizee wrote:Hooray! At last I managed to reset, well, everything.

I did the Oil service first, using the combo:

Ignition on, plug in short, unplug short, off ignition.

All nice and green row of lights. Thanks for All post helpers.
Same here except I set up the short, then turned on the ignition and removed the short after 5 seconds and that didn't work. A bit more searching on the internet and decided to try a longer period to see if the ECU was looking for a reset for the service that was due next rather than the service it had just had - a 10 sec period brought up all 5 green lights and I had already got rid of the brake fluid clock yesterday. :D'

Thanks to everyone for the advice and guidance.

As an added bonus stripped down the CD changer again :!: and even that's working :roll:
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

I got a reset tool off ebay, think it was less than £10 (from China), simply plug in and hold the button down until the light on the unit illuminates. It seemed easier than risking trying to short out the light with a bit of wire. Probably does exactly the same job, but reduces the risk of doing it wrongly.