Will an 8X18" wheel with an offset of ET20 fit a Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ms.smally

blank.gif

Will an 8X18" wheel with an offset of ET20 fit a Z3

Post by ms.smally »

Hi
I know there is a lot of information on here about wheel fitment, but it is a topic I know very little about and wondered if anyone could offer some specific advice about these wheels.

The wheels I have are 18" with a PCD of 5X100 and a bore size of 73.1mm. I know that the Z3 has a PCD of 5X120 and so they wont be a direct fit, but before I shell out £150 on adapters I wanted to check that I will not be wasting my cash.

The tyres on the wheels currently are 225 40 18 and the wheels are 8" wide with an offset of ET40.

From what I can tell and 8" wide wheel should be OK between ET35 and ET45. With the adaptors I will have ET42. Can anyone confirm that this will fit?

Your advice is very much appreciated on this one.
Helen
XxX
Last edited by ms.smally on Wed 19 May, 2010 19:01, edited 3 times in total.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Don't do it.. Adapters will change the offest, and you could end up rubbing on the bodywork.

There are plenty of correct wheels available for Z-3s. Just get some of those!
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

come on guys,
I'll make it simple. Will an 8X18" wheel with an offset of ET42 and 225 40 18 tyres go on a Z3????
someone must know
flames247

M roadster S50

Post by flames247 »

Yes they will

*edit*

I also echo the above & below posts and would recommend correct wheels and not adapted ones.
Last edited by flames247 on Tue 18 May, 2010 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Helen,

Centre bore will be 72.5 so providing you can get the correct spigot adapters they should fit regarding the ET.

My original BMW alloys were 7.8x17 fronts and 8.5x17 rears ET41 and swapped these for 8.5x18 ET43 but fitted 7mm wheel spacers to make them ET36 to bring the wheels out a little. To be honest I would try and find an alloy with the correct centre bore fitment and PCD.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Will an 8X18" wheel with an offset of ET42 fit a Z3

Post by yalden »

ms.smally wrote:Hi
I know there is a lot of information on here about wheel fitment, but it is a topic I know very little about and wondered if anyone could offer some specific advice about these wheels.

The wheels I have are 18" with a PCD of 5X100 and a bore size of 73.1mm. I know that the Z3 has a PCD of 5X120 and so they wont be a direct fit, but before I shell out £150 on adapters I wanted to check that I will not be wasting my cash.

The tyres on the wheels currently are 225 40 18 and the wheels are 8" wide with an offset of ET40.

From what I can tell and 8" wide wheel should be OK between ET35 and ET45. With the adaptors I will have ET42. Can anyone confirm that this will fit?

Your advice is very much appreciated on this one.
Helen
XxX
Helen,

I note that your wheels are 8J x 18" ET45; you've stated that with the adapters fitted they'll be ET42 - quite clearly this is wrong.

Be very careful when adjusting offsets etc as this could otherwise turn into a nasty mistake. The narrowest hub adapters I have ever found are 20mm, in honesty you won't get any thinner as they'd fail to recess the head of the hub bolts.

Assuming you buy 20mm hub adapters, your offset will become ET25!

Having done a few quick checks, your wheels should fit without too many problems. But the wheel will be close to the edge of arch on the front, so you might want to consider how much you plan to lower the car by and buy the appropriate tyres to suit.

I have wider wheels front and back, both with lower offsets than ET25 and I have no problems at all - but I've been careful on my tyre choice to ensure I don't catch the arch!

You'd also need to ensure that the centre bore on the adapter either suits the Z3 hub, or that you can get a spiggot ring to make up the difference. Similarly you'll want the hub extension on the adapter to match the centre bore of the 5x100 wheels!

Chris
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

thanks guys. Sorry about the calculation error, as stated, I dont really understand how these things work :oops: hence the post.

Yes, the spacers are 20mm and are being custom made to have the correct bore size on each size, so no spigot rings are needed to keep the wheels hubcentric.

The wheels are ET40 so am I right that with the adapters they will become ET20?

I am expecting them to be a tight fit, but that is fine, so long as they dont catch all the time. I'm not lowering the car so the tyre profile should be OK as is (I think!)

Thanks forall the advice.I know it is more simple to buy the correct fitment wheels, but these would cost me around £700 that I just dont have. TBH the £150 for the adapters is bad enough ATM.

The car is black with red leather and I REALLY want a setof 18" wheels in black with a red rim and seeing as I have a set in my possession, if I can get them to fit for £150 then I am happy, I just dont want to buy the adapters if they arent going to work.

Thanks again guys, really invaluable help this time
Helen
XX
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

ms.smally wrote:thanks guys. Sorry about the calculation error, as stated, I dont really understand how these things work :oops: hence the post.

Yes, the spacers are 20mm and are being custom made to have the correct bore size on each size, so no spigot rings are needed to keep the wheels hubcentric.

The wheels are ET40 so am I right that with the adapters they will become ET20?

I am expecting them to be a tight fit, but that is fine, so long as they dont catch all the time. I'm not lowering the car so the tyre profile should be OK as is (I think!)

Thanks forall the advice.I know it is more simple to buy the correct fitment wheels, but these would cost me around £700 that I just dont have. TBH the £150 for the adapters is bad enough ATM.

The car is black with red leather and I REALLY want a setof 18" wheels in black with a red rim and seeing as I have a set in my possession, if I can get them to fit for £150 then I am happy, I just dont want to buy the adapters if they arent going to work.

Thanks again guys, really invaluable help this time
Helen
XX
Makes sense Helen, I hope it works out for you, and please post pics of the fitted wheels as I'm intrigued to see how they will look!
No zed at the moment but always on the lookout!
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Photos of wheels??
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

Photos of the wheels fitted on the car. Why not?
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

zedder3 wrote:Photos of the wheels fitted on the car. Why not?
Because they're black with a red rim? :colourful:
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

OXO wrote:
zedder3 wrote:Photos of the wheels fitted on the car. Why not?
Because they're black with a red rim? :colourful:
LOL. Fair enough. I back down!
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Mine are black with a Silver rim just paint the silver red and will give you an idea what there like zedder :)
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

If they look as good as the black/red rims on the Z4 below, I'll be supremely jealous!

zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

billz wrote:Mine are black with a Silver rim just paint the silver red and will give you an idea what there like zedder :)
Very nice billz. Are those dotz alloys?

yalden - what make are those wheels on the Z4? I like!
ms.smally

blank.gif

Post by ms.smally »

thanks guys. I am ordering the adapters today. They are being custom made and should take 3-5 days to be done. I will post some pics as soons as I get them fitted. :colourful: (excited now!!!)
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

rota grids? ummm do it!! :twisted:
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
zedder3

blank

Post by zedder3 »

shantybeater wrote:rota grids? ummm do it!! :twisted:
lol agreed!

'starts to save for a set'..