Bmw parts online

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jollyassassin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Bmw parts online

Post by jollyassassin »

Anyone used bmwpartsonline? I need a cam position sensor on the exhaust side & i phoned bmw parts dept.............£89 inc vat :shock: So i thought id checkout the inter web & found bmwpartsonline, they want £25 inc vat, a massive difference. Well thats got me thinking, Whats the difference in quality if any. They say that its german made,see here.
http://www.bmwpartsonline.co.uk/Product ... ft-Sensor/
Are bmw just ripping us off or are they selling superior parts. Has anyone used bmwpartsonline & if so how did you find there service?
Atb Jolly.
hornel Z3M

blank

parts

Post by hornel Z3M »

BMW are just ripping you off, the parts look genuine and about the right price.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Jolly - How do you know it's the exhaust cam sensor, (& not say the inlet cam sensor) ?

Mine runs ok, (though I accept sensor detrioration can be gradual and hard to notice). My Peake R5/FCX-3 gives code Table 19 Code 12 "Exhaust camshaft position sensor".

BMW indy last week on phone told me it's near guaranteed the inlet, (not exhaust) sensor that fails on M54 2.2i.

Despite having the Peake I may wait to get indy opinion & perhaps on back of better Iny provided Diagnostic too, (such as GT1 /autologic or equivalent).

Some say avoid 3rd party sensors I also found this discussion(note comments re lack of "o" ring with the vemo sensor !)

Anyone have experience re Vemo Cam sensors ?

Without wishing to threadjack - Any thoughts on my Peake data ?
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
jollyassassin

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by jollyassassin »

I had the same problem as the guy in your link. I had the inlet sensor changed a few months ago & it cured the problem :) Ive since had another problem with the car juddering through the gears at around 2000 rpm. I was willing to take a punt at £25 for an exhaust sensor but thought £90 was a little too steep. I purchased the exhaust sensor on Tuesday evening & it arrived Thursday morning, which is pretty good going. It has an Oring in the kit (something the bmw part dosnt) I plan to fit it tomorrow, so fingers crossed that it works. Tbh i have done quit a bit of internet research & most of the stuff ive read does point to the exhaust sensor,but if it isnt then it was only £25 & ill just have to book it back in with my indy :D
Atb jolly.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Am sure you would be able to sell it for minimal loss in unlikely event its not that part.

Good Luck
elijah

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Bmw parts online

Post by elijah »

jollyassassin wrote:Anyone used bmwpartsonline? I need a cam position sensor on the exhaust side & i phoned bmw parts dept.............£89 inc vat :shock: So i thought id checkout the inter web & found bmwpartsonline, they want £25 inc vat, a massive difference. Well thats got me thinking, Whats the difference in quality if any. They say that its german made,see here.
http://www.bmwpartsonline.co.uk/Product ... ft-Sensor/
Are bmw just ripping us off or are they selling superior parts. Has anyone used bmwpartsonline & if so how did you find there service?
Atb Jolly.
Hi peeps. I'm wondering if bmwpartsonline really do sell genuine bmw parts and is it really worth buying from them? As you know, my friend would be doing some replacement of the worn-out parts on his car and he is looking where to buy some high-quality replacement parts or even better if we could find some performance parts. Any opinions or feedback about the site would be helpful.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I bought an inlet cam sensor off E-Bay, part looked identical to the original one and though it cured the flat spot @1500rpm it gave me problems everywhere else including stalling and non starting.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has bought cam sensors from here as I'm still saving for a BM one :(
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

bmwpartsonline wrote:All of our BMW parts are sourced from leading names including Sachs, Meyle, Jurid, Lemforder, Febi, Wahler, Beru, NGK, and Vemo.If a part is not yet on the catalogue we can order it for you from any of the major OE suppliers.

All of our BMW parts carry a minimum one year guarantee from the date of purchase against defects in design, materials or workmanship.
So they are not BMW parts, but some of them may well be made by the same people who make the BWM parts.

http://bmminiparts.co.uk/ sell genuine BMW parts at discounted prices.

You pays your money and makes you choice...

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

BMW make very little themselves. They contract out most parts to approved suppliers such as Lemforder, ZF, Sachs, Bosch, etc..

There are contractual restrictions placed on those suppliers so they cannot sell the same exact part under their own name, but these restrictions go away after a period of time or when contracts are renewed. I have no issue whatsoever taking part from the OEM suppliers when they can be found. Same part made to the same spec , just minus the BMW logo and many £££s.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

jollyassassin,

How have you been getting on with the Vemo exhaust cam sensor (pulse generator) ?

Have had fault code read at indy & it shows as inlet cam sensor.

Keen to avoid paying £88 for a BMW item

I read on another site that OEM are made by Siemens VDO but this is speculation on basis they make the ECU.

Any thoughts from others on sourcing reliable 3rd party cam inlet sensors would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Now sourced. Went for the Vemo having had recomendation on here from jollyassassin via PM, (thanks again), who fitted a Vemo exhaust sensor without post fitment issues.

Spoke to Danny from bmwpartsonline who confirmed VDO Siemems don't list these & this he seemed to think original BMW part likely to be a Hella item (offered to source for just over £50)

In the end I went Vemo as Danny stated he was confident re the product & agreed to refund/exchange if I had problems. So far so good. Great service & recommended. BTW I have absolutely no association with the supplier & normal price was paid.

I have also been told the Febi exhaust sensor has been replaced with a newer Febi item & since others in past allegedly gave mixed reports.

HTH someone in future :)