new car maybe and a bit of research.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

new car maybe and a bit of research.

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Hi.
Just Joined. couldn't find an introduction section on the forum so i thought i would post straight in here.

Names Matt.

was looking to buy a z3 facelift model and placed a bid on one ending on ebay. just recieved a second chance offer on the car so thought now was a good time to go a bit of research.

the car in question:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEDWX:IT

i know i wanted a facelift model and with a bigger engine, but not too big. had anough of fuel in my v6s.

i know absolutly nothing about z3s, so please no roasting the new guy. i have only ever owned vws. after owning 6 golfs in a row thought i was time for a change.

does the car in question seem a good deal in the current market?
from my limited knowledge it seems quite nicely specced. heated seats, sports seats, full leather bits of chrome ect. not sure if i like it all but i will make a few changed as i go, if i get it. taistful of course.

few questions.

common problems to look into?
whats fuel like in the real world? my last two cars were a v6 4motion and an r32 so i hope for better.

anymore info i should know?

thanks for your patience. Matt
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Seems like a good buy? if you got it for around the price it reached?
Sports models are sought after, and a 2.2 is a nice size.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Hi Matt Welcome to the forum.

First off lets clarify what the car is:

It seems like a nice 2.2 sport with the "right" options (being air con and 17 inch split rim staggered alloys, side airbags, may be more can't tell from pics :rtm: ).

The 2.2 sport is probably the most popular Z3 and so holds its price very well.

A mint 50,000 miler with good service history would bring c£6,500 private and up to £8.5k from a garage.

So with that mileage, presumably OK service history (ie not FBMWSH but enough to show its been serviced) and what looks like decent condition then I would say its worth c£5k (probably a bit more in summer but the 100k is a big mental barrier but nothing for these cars, USA ones regularly do 200k plus).

In short I'd be interested if the price was right especially if 3 month warranty with it (these cars really are valued on condition now)

budget c£350 to refurb the wheels. The chrome vents are popular and expensive so you could swap these and get some cash out of it.

Regards fuel, really depends how you drive it, they are not fantastic (you won't see 40mpg, but they are not bad so expect c25-35mpg) ps much better than the R32 :wink:

In general the main things to look out for are rust on the front rear arches. almost everything else is pretty easily fixable so long as the engine runs well.

If you keeping it for a while I would potentially factor in new dampers/springs (the sport runs on a Mtech suspension but 100k will probably be "tired" if still original). Check tyre wear at least to make sure its even especially on the back which are not adjustable nd could be an indication of previous damage :wink:

Otherwise you can read this thread for general generic Z3 buyers tips

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17194

You can also download the brochure and price list for that car from here (you can check out what options its got) - make sure that air con works and if they say it just needs a regass then get them to do it as a compressor is c£400 (quite common to get holes in the compressor)

Z3 2001 Brochure large file 73mb

Z3 2001 price list

Good luck, its certainly a car I would be interested in at the right price (ie the right side of £5k, closure to £4k the better ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Hi i have had a 3.0 z3 since end of october and im more than happy with it ,only minor probs easily fixed at home and a worn seat bolster so far. Round town i get 24- 26 MPG and on a run all the way up to 33- 34 MPG so a 2.2 should be better. Ive had lot of vw,s my last one being a mk1 golf with 2.0l 16v engine on bike carbs and only 800kg!!! But im really enjoying the z3 and rear wheel drive is just great if you have a heavy right foot. :P
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

TaffZee wrote:Seems like a good buy? if you got it for around the price it reached?
Sports models are sought after, and a 2.2 is a nice size.
thanks for the warm welcome guys.

well todays the day i go an pick up the little summer fling.

the price is close to the end price, bit of negotiating and im hoping to get it at the screen price.

i have had a look round and the 2.2 sports seem to be less in volume than the others. weather people keep them and not sell them i dont know.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Good luck,enjoy, and look forward to the pics and a first impression report :)
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Jonttt wrote:Hi Matt Welcome to the forum.

First off lets clarify what the car is:

It seems like a nice 2.2 sport with the "right" options (being air con and 17 inch split rim staggered alloys, side airbags, may be more can't tell from pics :rtm: ).

The 2.2 sport is probably the most popular Z3 and so holds its price very well.

A mint 50,000 miler with good service history would bring c£6,500 private and up to £8.5k from a garage.

So with that mileage, presumably OK service history (ie not FBMWSH but enough to show its been serviced) and what looks like decent condition then I would say its worth c£5k (probably a bit more in summer but the 100k is a big mental barrier but nothing for these cars, USA ones regularly do 200k plus).

In short I'd be interested if the price was right especially if 3 month warranty with it (these cars really are valued on condition now)

budget c£350 to refurb the wheels. The chrome vents are popular and expensive so you could swap these and get some cash out of it.

Regards fuel, really depends how you drive it, they are not fantastic (you won't see 40mpg, but they are not bad so expect c25-35mpg) ps much better than the R32 :wink:

In general the main things to look out for are rust on the front rear arches. almost everything else is pretty easily fixable so long as the engine runs well.

If you keeping it for a while I would potentially factor in new dampers/springs (the sport runs on a Mtech suspension but 100k will probably be "tired" if still original). Check tyre wear at least to make sure its even especially on the back which are not adjustable nd could be an indication of previous damage :wink:

Otherwise you can read this thread for general generic Z3 buyers tips

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17194

You can also download the brochure and price list for that car from here (you can check out what options its got) - make sure that air con works and if they say it just needs a regass then get them to do it as a compressor is c£400 (quite common to get holes in the compressor)

Z3 2001 Brochure large file 73mb

Z3 2001 price list

Good luck, its certainly a car I would be interested in at the right price (ie the right side of £5k, closure to £4k the better ;-)
thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.
seems funny when you mention air con as a desirable on a car that potentially has not roof.. :lol: in the golf world its either a sunroof or aircon or both for about £1000 extra.

i have never kept a car on its standard wheels for very long so they may be powdercoated and used as winters. dont suppose you have a wheel thread on here for inspiration do you? some nice ac spits look on the cards though at some point before winter.

not sure on the chrome yet will have to have a look when i get there, from the pics it seems to somewhat loose the cars lines.

fuel wise i was hoping closer to 40mpg. you may be shocked but i managed to get 35-40mph out of the R, with a light right foot. which is most of the time :oops:

do bmw still sell msport suspension for the z3? or are they available elsewere? might look into coilovers if the dmapers or springs arnt upto the job. i had H&R's on my r32 and they seemed more comfy than the standard set-up, but bmw engineers seemto know there stuff in the handling dept so dont want to play around to much. vw dont so its okay to play around with coilovers, Arbs ect just to get them to go round corners.

i had a good read through the links thanks for them. once i get the car, il have a look at the spec list and get some pictures up. after being detailed obviously.

do they have a readers rides section on here for inspiration. you car looks stunning for the signature..

thanks
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

jayson f wrote:Hi i have had a 3.0 z3 since end of october and im more than happy with it ,only minor probs easily fixed at home and a worn seat bolster so far. Round town i get 24- 26 MPG and on a run all the way up to 33- 34 MPG so a 2.2 should be better. Ive had lot of vw,s my last one being a mk1 golf with 2.0l 16v engine on bike carbs and only 800kg!!! But im really enjoying the z3 and rear wheel drive is just great if you have a heavy right foot. :P
i was tempted by the 3.0 or the 3.2m. but i thought i would get for show rather than go this time.

i always had mk2s, few standard then one running abf one running 1.8t s3 lump. 270bhp in a shopping trolly was fun. sold it to buy a mk1, couldnt find a good example and ended up with a 4motion instead, not very fun, thought i would buy another my2 and equip it with an s3 engine. then sold it a month ago as i didnt have the passion to do it all again. :( so bought a z3 instead. hope it doesnt dissapont. or i might have to get a mk1 aswell for the show season. dont you miss the dub scene?
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Hang_em_high wrote:Good luck,enjoy, and look forward to the pics and a first impression report :)
thats not very confidence inspiring you have a boxter in your sig? :lol:
how does it compare as i have driven the 2.7 boxter but never a z?
Riyca

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Riyca »

[quote="matt_topazz3] not sure on the chrome yet will have to have a look when i get there, from the pics it seems to somewhat loose the cars lines.
[/quote]

I have a Topaz blue Z and looking to get the chrome side grills , so if you dont like them , drop me a pm and we can do a swap :wink:

Hope the wether is as sunny where you are today , cant beat buying a soft top on a sunny day ! ( I got mine when it was under 6 inches of snow....) just dont be tempted to put the roof down unless you have got the rear window nice and warm first :twisted:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Matt congrats on the purchase, I'm sure it won't disappoint, my brother went from a Z4m to Z3 2.2 sport and enjoys it more for summer fun :wink:

There are a few "hangers on" (excuse the pun Hang'em) who have sold there zeds but enjoy contributing to the forum still (they will be back with a zed one day and they know it :D ).

You'll have plenty to get your teeth into modding your Z to make it "yours":

There is loads of history on here and you can get some inspiration from the Gallery section were there are some great journals and pics of members cars.

Some initial thoughts from me (you've already touched on most of them):

- with c100k on the clock and assuming still on OEM suspension it may be a little tired. Drive it for a while and see what you think but its common to both want to improve the handling (even just refreshing with new OEM but most go aftermarket) and lower the car c30mm all round (its surprising what a vast visual improvement a 30mm drop makes ;-)

- the wheels you have are pretty sought after OEM so you could sell on to fund replacements or keep for winter as you say. IMHO AC Schnitzer are the wheel of choice as they where OEM options when these cars were new but they are very expensive (new). You can with patience pick them up 2nd hand and they are reasonable to refurb (my type II race set me back £750 fully refurbed with branded tyres but took me 12 months to source). Just make sure you are aware what offset range you can use (they are basically e36 fitment) but you can / should get an offset or use spacers to pull the wheels out by c15mm from stock (to reach the arch line;-) ET35-ET45 is usually the range but check yourself (8.5's front and 9 or 9.5's rear ie staggered like the ones you have on). Note that Z3 are VERY tempremental to tyres, both brand and pressures (they can tramline a lot with the wrong setup). Falken 452's are the tyre of choice at the moment. don't go wider than 235's at the front though (225's recommended). Some people fit 19 inch but they are too big for me, the old adage biggest OEM + 1 inch works for me so 18inch are my preference. There are some good looking aftermaket wheels though that are a lot cheaper than Schnitzer new that suit the zed.

other polpular mods are:

- front strut brace
- ///M wing mirrors (nb ///M parts are expensive and rare 2nd hand though)
- ///M side gills (especially if you don'tlike the chrome which are always saleable)

There is loads more you can tinker with (head unit, ARB's, pads, etc....) but the most important thing is to just enjow the car. The 2.2 makes a lovely noise :drive

Hopefully we'll see you at some meets this year, you can look at loads of pics but can't beat seeing the cars in the flesh :wink:
Last edited by Jonttt on Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Riyca

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Riyca »

[quote="matt_topazz3] not sure on the chrome yet will have to have a look when i get there, from the pics it seems to somewhat loose the cars lines.
[/quote]

I have a Topaz blue Z and looking to get the chrome side grills , so if you dont like them , drop me a pm and we can do a swap :wink:

Hope the wether is as sunny where you are today , cant beat buying a soft top on a sunny day ! ( I got mine when it was under 6 inches of snow....) just dont be tempted to put the roof down unless you have got the rear window nice and warm first :twisted:
77Si

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by 77Si »

Hugely jealous! :twisted: Not picking my 2.2 Sport up until the 5th of Feb! Grr
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Jonttt wrote:Matt congrats on the purchase, I'm sure it won't disappoint, my brother went from a Z4m to Z3 2.2 sport and enjoys it more for summer fun :wink:

There are a few "hangers on" (excuse the pun Hang'em) who have sold there zeds but enjoy contributing to the forum still (they will be back with a zed one day and they know it :D ).

You'll have plenty to get your teeth into modding your Z to make it "yours":

There is loads of history on here and you can get some inspiration from the Gallery section were there are some great journals and pics of members cars.

Some initial thoughts from me (you've already touched on most of them):

- with c100k on the clock and assuming still on OEM suspension it may be a little tired. Drive it for a while and see what you think but its common to both want to improve the handling (even just refreshing with new OEM but most go aftermarket) and lower the car c30mm all round (its surprising what a vast visual improvement a 30mm drop makes ;-)

- the wheels you have are pretty sought after OEM so you could sell on to fund replacements or keep for winter as you say. IMHO AC Schnitzer are the wheel of choice as they where OEM options when these cars were new but they are very expensive (new). You can with patience pick them up 2nd hand and they are reasonable to refurb (my type II race set me back £750 fully refurbed with branded tyres but took me 12 months to source). Just make sure you are aware what offset range you can use (they are basically e36 fitment) but you can / should get an offset or use spacers to pull the wheels out by c15mm from stock (to reach the arch line;-) ET35-ET45 is usually the range but check yourself (8.5's front and 9 or 9.5's rear ie staggered like the ones you have on). Note that Z3 are VERY tempremental to tyres, both brand and pressures (they can tramline a lot with the wrong setup). Falken 452's are the tyre of choice at the moment. don't go wider than 235's at the front though (225's recommended). Some people fit 19 inch but they are too big for me, the old adage biggest OEM + 1 inch works for me so 18inch are my preference. There are some good looking aftermaket wheels though that are a lot cheaper than Schnitzer new that suit the zed.

other polpular mods are:

- front strut brace
- ///M wing mirrors (nb ///M parts are expensive and rare 2nd hand though)
- ///M side gills (especially if you don'tlike the chrome which are always saleable)

There is loads more you can tinker with (head unit, ARB's, pads, etc....) but the most important thing is to just enjow the car. The 2.2 makes a lovely noise :drive

Hopefully we'll see you at some meets this year, you can look at loads of pics but can't beat seeing the cars in the flesh :wink:
thanks for the info. all taken on board. looking into wheel options aswell. i had a set of very rare 3 piece split staggered dogleg porsche rims on golf. and would really like something just as exclusive on the z. so will be looking at plenty of pics before deciding on a style.

will have a look in to the ET when i get rould to it. perfect flush with a little stretch is where itis at for me at the moment. not sure what the z3 would react like to this setup.

will look into a good set of arbs aswell..

just need some advice before i complete the purchase.

i went down to view the car on monday and i wasn't 100% happy with it. the sills which I asked about had about 6 inches of paint missing from them at the front, where they meet the arch. i have read previously its a common problem. there was also a scuff on the back bumper. the front bumper had a bit of overspray on it and the front didnt sit 100% at one side, nothing major just very slight mm gab difference. im guessing a blow over the bumper at some point as it looked original parts wise ect with no other sign of accident damage. ie new bolts or parts ect. all the original engine bay looked untouched also. he said he would put the sills right with either chips away of a quick localised spray. as the sills were not damaged or rusty, and i agree with him when he says it would do more damage in the long run sanding the sills back and stripping all the original paint, which would never be as good as the original stuff.. and being so low down(under the car) it would never need to be 100% perfect as long as it was protected and stopped the sills form rusting away.

anyways to cut along story short. the car drove perfect and there were no further problems. the guy seemed genuine enough he said he would knock 100 off the price or get the sills done for the stated price. least he didnt try and cover anything up with a quick job. thats the way i looked at it anyway.. :?

what you be your advice.

thanks

(just had a read through, 100 spelling and grammar mistakes rectified. teach me for typing at 3 in the morning) :oops:
Last edited by matt_topazz3 on Fri 21 Jan, 2011 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sounds like your viewing it in the right way.

These cars are long fronts and so its not uncommon for the bumpers to carry scuffs etc.....

Just make sure you do a HPI.

Main think is its right mechanically and that your ok with the cosmetic issues which would be easy fixes.

nb the sills are just bolt on/off so pretty easy to get resprayed if you needed to (or even replaced worst case :wink: )
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Jonttt wrote:Sounds like your viewing it in the right way.

These cars are long fronts and so its not uncommon for the bumpers to carry scuffs etc.....

Just make sure you do a HPI.

Main think is its right mechanically and that your ok with the cosmetic issues which would be easy fixes.

nb the sills are just bolt on/off so pretty easy to get resprayed if you needed to (or even replaced worst case :wink: )
was unawear of the sills being removeable, thats good to know.
the car is hpi clear.
cosmetically it was good except obvously the sills, wheel rims and the back bumper scuff. the rest of the paintwork had been neglected shall we say. looked like it had never been handwashed(typical lady owner) so had plenty of swirls and marks.
nothing a 3 stage polish will not rectify and a weekend with the buffer.

the car will stand me at 3700, which seems cheap to for the car. and with the few issues sorted im sure i can get my money back in a few years time. the only other similar age model milliage 2.2 sport 5999. the car i would think will stand me at 4000 with the problems i have noticed sorted.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

matt_topazz3 wrote: looked like it had never been handwashed(typical lady owner)
Not typical of the ladies on this forum,
better get your tin hat on now!
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

DC wrote:
matt_topazz3 wrote: looked like it had never been handwashed(typical lady owner)
Dave.
there was only one lady that was a regular poster on the dub forum so it was okay to blaim everthing on the fairer sex..lol

may have to invest in a flame proof suit then :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Wow for £3,700 its a real bargain even adjusting for mileage (which is on the high side for a Z3 but only average for a car of this age)

So long as good service history re oil changes its nothing to that engine :wink:

They easily fetch over £6k for a 40-60k miler in summer

Unless your doing 50k a year in it your not gonna lose a lot on that when you come to sell :wink:

I'm sure some of our lady members will be along to correct your mistyping :twisted:
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

good deal

Post by peterandjenny »

sports seats and good wheels
Zbd 2 getting a new sill fitted due to a dent in it also m mirrors and hardtop respray.
you could fit the wide aero sills £180 each I think, yaldens car has them on
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

matt_topazz3 wrote:
DC wrote:
Dave.
there was only one lady that was a regular poster on the dub forum so it was okay to blaim everthing on the fairer sex..lol

1st lady has come along who regularly spends 5 or 6 hrs on a Sunday cleaning her car and has a garage full of cleaning products but you weren't to know how we cherish our cars :D

It's nice to see another member from the sunny Lancashire (well it was today and I was out with the roof down).

So have you got it yet??? We need piccies :D
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

Jonttt wrote:Wow for £3,700 its a real bargain even adjusting for mileage (which is on the high side for a Z3 but only average for a car of this age)

So long as good service history re oil changes its nothing to that engine :wink:

They easily fetch over £6k for a 40-60k miler in summer

Unless your doing 50k a year in it your not gonna lose a lot on that when you come to sell :wink:

I'm sure some of our lady members will be along to correct your mistyping :twisted:
mileage is a bit high and nearly put me off it at first. just like any other car really, no matter how well built they are. but it looks quite good for its age, no bolster wear or damaged leather whic was a suprise. all electrics work, gearbox clutch all feel great. at the end of the day i could get a 40k car and have nothing but problem, so seems worth the risk. hope im still saying that in a few years.

will be fully serviced on purchase, then i can take good care of my care of it from then on.

i only do a few miles a year so if i keep it a while it will become a low mileage example. :lol:
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: good deal

Post by matt_topazz3 »

peterandjenny wrote:sports seats and good wheels
Zbd 2 getting a new sill fitted due to a dent in it also m mirrors and hardtop respray.
you could fit the wide aero sills £180 each I think, yaldens car has them on
thats a great idea, like how the sills are separate. much better than fixed sills. as they are a pain to repair and expensive if needed.

i will have a look at the wide sills, they arnt damaged at the min just peeled paint, but might be interested at some point, especially it i lower it too much and catch them on a curb(or a cats eye) 8-)
matt_topazz3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by matt_topazz3 »

snoops wrote:
matt_topazz3 wrote:
DC wrote: Not typical of the ladies on this forum,
Dave.

1st lady has come along who regularly spends 5 or 6 hrs on a Sunday cleaning her car and has a garage full of cleaning products but you weren't to know how we cherish our cars :D

It's nice to see another member from the sunny Lancashire (well it was today and I was out with the roof down).

So have you got it yet??? We need piccies :D
i do apologise :)
where do you find time to drive it if you spend that long cleaning it :o
You seem just the right person to ask then, what products do you use to clean and protect the fold down roof?

where abouts in lancs are you from? il keep my eyes open for a really clean z round about.

i know it was really nice today, wished i already had the car could have made a dash for the A roads after work. :( ah well there should be about 3 nice days left this year now to make use of.. :lol:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Well i use AG Fabric Hood Cleaner and Protector, cleans it really well and lots of beading when it rains, which shows its doing its job, i think you might find a lot use AG.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

billz wrote:Well i use AG Fabric Hood Cleaner and Protector, cleans it really well and lots of beading when it rains, which shows its doing its job, i think you might find a lot use AG.
bill
Gets a vote from me too! Made a huge difference on my roof. Comes in a kit from Halfrauds for about £15-20 with all you need.

Otherwise the Renovo products seem to get reasonable write ups.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

matt_topazz3 wrote:i do apologise :) where do you find time to drive it if you spend that long cleaning it :o

where abouts in lancs are you from? il keep my eyes open for a really clean z round about.
No need for apology. I drive him most mornings/evenings then there's all day Saturday and Sunday :D

I live near Standish, not far from J27 of the M6.

I have used AG for the soft top too but I've currently got tent re-proofer on there and happy with the beading.

So....... have you got it yet :? :?
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

AG kit for first time - the special "stiff" sponge is worth it but you will use only a bit of the cleaner and all of the reproofer so just use tent reproofer after that which is a lot cheaper and just as good ;-)

ps make sure you've got a large bucket of clean warm water to wash away any overrun before it dries, PITA to get off if you let it dry