Wind Deflector - bit of a disappointment!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Wind Deflector - bit of a disappointment!

Post by MickJ »

Fitted the perspex wind deflector from Just Roadsters last night, tried it today with the top down didn't see\feel any difference still a force 7 gale at 30mph and above somewhat disappointed with it, not having owned a convertible before is this norm am I expecting to much? I have the seat as low as possible I am 6ft though, any suggestions?
philjwb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by philjwb »

I can't speak for the perspex wind deflector, but I've got the bmw mesh one which fits over the roll hoops and it makes a HUGE difference. Driving without it is unpleasant, with it it's awesome.
audiovideodisco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by audiovideodisco »

I have a mesh deflector and really notice the difference when I forget to zip it up....all I can see is curly red hair! :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I've had both the mesh rollhoop type and non-rollhoop type and they both make a big difference, particularly at motorway speeds. To get max effect you need the side windows up. And I'm 6ft too.

To do a proper test you need to find yourself a nice lady with long hair and take her for a drive both with and without. If the deflector is any good, she won't look like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards...

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

As has been said, I notice a huge difference but the windows need to be closed for maximum bennefit.
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

Robert T wrote:To do a proper test you need to find yourself a nice lady with long hair and take her for a drive both with and without.
What, you have to shave her hair off part way through the test??? :D Only joking.

I've got the mesh deflector too, and it makes a huge difference for me as well. With the windows up and deflector in place there's only a slight breeze through my 'fine' hair...

Ian
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

I just drove mine down the motorway with the Perspex, to me there is a massive difference than without. Only the top of my hair gets hit by the wind but that is because it sits above the deflector line. No cold neck :)
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I have the perspex deflector from Just Roadster too and am very happy with it. :)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I think when discussed before the general concensus was the perspex deflector looks better but isn't quite as affective as the mesh type, I would have thought the point its actually mesh is to aid air flow so doesn't go blowing around behind the seats. Never tried the the perspex type so can't compare but from the practicality side of it compared to BMW's mesh deflector its a :bad

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wind deflector - or lack of one!

Post by John1950 »

I have a mesh deflector which is the wrong model for my car so have to do without.
I agree, driving without is unpleasant at 40mph and above and I imagine would be very tiring on a long journey.
However, I think I've found a solution - drive with the driver's window down and the heater on. The wind immediately stops and the heater can be adjusted to how you want.
Try it - and see what you think.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wind deflector - or lack of one!

Post by John1950 »

I have a mesh deflector which is the wrong model for my car so have to do without.
I agree, driving without is unpleasant at 40mph and above and I imagine would be very tiring on a long journey.
However, I think I've found a solution - drive with the driver's window down and the heater on. The wind immediately stops and the heater can be adjusted to how you want.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Re: Wind deflector - or lack of one!

Post by MickJ »

John1950 wrote:I have a mesh deflector which is the wrong model for my car so have to do without.
Thats worth a try, will go out and give that a go shortly!
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I'm surprised that you can't tell any difference even with a perspex deflector.
I had the chance to try several over the years but have retained the original mesh one.
They do partially restrict visibility through the rear view mirror (but you've got two door mirrors to cover that problem) :wink:
There are a few perspex variants out there but Simon's are (in my opinion) the best non-mesh ones available.
If you're not happy with it, perhaps Simon would consider re-stocking it, or you could sell it.
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If your hissed off with the perspex deflector this seems a bit of a bargain

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 158#282158

Assuming you have roll hoops :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wind deflector

Post by John1950 »

So those who don't have hoops - an even better bargain...
I've got a BMW mesh type with attachment spigots at 75cm apart.
Looking to swap with another mesh with spigots at 70cm for my model.

Contact me at:
John Walker
M: 0781 281 0074
T: 02392 366031
E: jmrwalker@virginmedia.com
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

I can definitely vouch for the mesh wind deflector.
My hair is mental: With the deflector up I can see where I am going.
With it down I can't see where I am going, get whipped in the face and end up with 'dreads' Bob Marley would have been proud of! :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I did think of making a blue tinted acrylic deflector to match the car but decided against after reading various negative opinions about the BOF plastic ones.

In any case I use the standard one so rarely,even the OH doesn't insist on fitting it when she is in the car.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Tried with blower on can only say it was very marginal, wife seems to be ok but she is only 5ft, unfortunately that one would appear to have a buyer for it already but thanks for the link, when you say roll over hoops are you referring to the chrome ones or the black, which I have, may have a solution, have a #2 haircut, wear a flat cap or get a pilots helmet tally ho old boy! Looks like I'm on the look out for a mesh one now, shame really as the perspex one looks good.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

MickJ wrote:Tried with blower on can only say it was very marginal, wife seems to be ok but she is only 5ft, unfortunately that one would appear to have a buyer for it already but thanks for the link, when you say roll over hoops are you referring to the chrome ones or the black, which I have, may have a solution, have a #2 haircut, wear a flat cap or get a pilots helmet tally ho old boy! Looks like I'm on the look out for a mesh one now, shame really as the perspex one looks good.
Didn't try it with the window down though, give that a go tomorrow....
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

We have just fitted the perspect breaker and i have to admit it isnt as good as the mesh one, but it is still 100% improvement than without it. We have also just upgraded to the chrome hoops from the black ones. We will use the perspect one for summer and change to the mesh one over the winter months.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Very interesting comments ,we had a perspecs one on the z3 but on the z4 its the standard mesh type,and its rubbish,the wifes
hair took a right battering on our recent cruise,i dont have that problem :lol:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Wind Deflector - bit of a disappointment!

Post by Jamezee »

MickJ wrote:Fitted the perspex wind deflector from Just Roadsters last night, tried it today with the top down didn't see\feel any difference still a force 7 gale at 30mph and above somewhat disappointed with it, not having owned a convertible before is this norm am I expecting to much? I have the seat as low as possible I am 6ft though, any suggestions?
I have both the mesh and perspex deflector and both have pro's and con's. I am over 6' but don't have the same problem you seem to have with wind :!:

Without sounding ridiculous (which i am) some people carry more height than others in there bodies others have longer legs (this sounds silly doesn't it) so if you have the longer body your head sticks up higher and therefore you get more wind! I know what I mean but am having trouble expressing it tonight. I have long leg's ( i sound like a freak now) so my head ...ahh sod it.. wheres me beer
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

They will be comming for you soon Jamezee :lol:
Are you getting some time off for this cruise, go on you know you want tooooo
bill
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

:bawl: :bawl: stop it :bawl: :bawl:

billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

270+ miles of some of the best roads in yorkshire and the lakes, with cracking company, come on :lol: :lol: :lol:
bill
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I wonder if they would be able to change the date of the wedding to accommodate this cruise......and we could call it ' not the royal wedding cruise'
I shall drop the happy couple a line :)

MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Jamezee wrote:
MickJ wrote:Fitted the perspex wind deflector from Just Roadsters last night, tried it today with the top down didn't see\feel any difference still a force 7 gale at 30mph and above somewhat disappointed with it, not having owned a convertible before is this norm am I expecting to much? I have the seat as low as possible I am 6ft though, any suggestions?
I have both the mesh and perspex deflector and both have pro's and con's. I am over 6' but don't have the same problem you seem to have with wind :!:

Without sounding ridiculous (which i am) some people carry more height than others in there bodies others have longer legs (this sounds silly doesn't it) so if you have the longer body your head sticks up higher and therefore you get more wind! I know what I mean but am having trouble expressing it tonight. I have long leg's ( i sound like a freak now) so my head ...ahh sod it.. wheres me beer
Actually thats not daft at all, I am longer in the body and tend to sit tall in the car which could be the problem, will just have to live with it, and the wife would agree that I have a problem with wind! :wink:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

MickJ wrote:
Jamezee wrote:

Actually thats not daft at all, I am longer in the body and tend to sit tall in the car which could be the problem, will just have to live with it, and the wife would agree that I have a problem with wind! :wink:
Thank you, I thought I was going mad for a while :)
Let me know when you find a cure for the wind :lol:

Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Damm looks like we missed the £55 mesh wind breaker!

Looking for one for a 98 Z3 with the original black plastic hoops, anyone have one for sale?

A few on ebay and seem to fetch anything between £50 and £150!

Looked on a few of the parts sites but couldn't see the price for a genuine new one, any idea what we should be looking to pay?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Part No. for the OEM hoop mesh kit is 82150002109.

Price at Coopers is £198

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

I have a genuine mesh type that im about to advertise along with a black tonneau cover. Unfortunately the prices you state are what they fetch this time of year. Mine will be priced at £100 each + postage, if interested.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thats not unfortunate for you hang em!! I'd get as much as you can for it..........................................tbh i think with a little discount from cotswold i'd rather buy a new one and know its going to be the correct one for the car, the postage is free too.
Last edited by Julie Z3 on Sun 27 Mar, 2011 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Julie Z3 wrote:Damm looks like we missed the £55 mesh wind breaker!
Me to $/%/@&!*)¨> :evil:
kevgreg

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by kevgreg »

Good Post and information guys, I'll look out for a mesh type
--------------------------------------
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

guess im in the minority but i like the look of the mesh type and mine is zipped up all the time hood up or down.when the hood is up it adds a bit of privacy
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

trigg35 wrote:guess im in the minority but i like the look of the mesh type and mine is zipped up all the time hood up or down.when the hood is up it adds a bit of privacy
Helps brake up light dazzle from those people who run very bright bulbs. I found the mesh one made an improvement than without but if the ambiant temps are on the cool side I suffer from head cold on any lengthy runs I could do with the seat being lowered by a few more inches and I'm only 5' 11''.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

I would like to point out I don't have any problem with the actual wind deflector regards quality, I think it looks better than the mesh (just my opinion though) it's well thought out and made and being tinted looks good, it would seem as a poster above has stated I could do with the seat being a few inches lower as I said my wife who is only 5ft has no problem at all, I could do with trying a mesh one to see if it's any better before I buy one, but I have a feeling I will not see any difference.
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mid life crisis »

I`d like to know if someone`s got a cure for wind :oops:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I've never been worried about wind in the cabin - after all its supposed to be 'wind in your hair' driving...

I bought a mesh deflector just before Christmas time purely because of the drop in temperature (much better price in the winter!). I still get a cold left ear with the deflector, but it helps keep the warmth from the heater in the cabin. Was able to drive roof down in minus temperatures without too much trouble.

Once the temperature is a little more consistent, the deflector will be going in the boot until the winter.

Gary
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

I've never been worried about wind in the cabin - after all its supposed to be 'wind in your hair' driving...

Long past worrying about "wind in the hair ".....................if you suffer with a cold head get a woolie hat, it works for me :zmurf:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Julie Z3 wrote: get a woolie hat, it works for me :zmurf:
I have 4 hats in the Zed - 2 baseball caps (to keep the sun out of my eyes + one for a passenger), 1 beanie (for my left ear) and 1 bizarre tartan thing with ear flaps (for the minus temperatures)... I just don't like wearing them! :D
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

GazHyde wrote:
Julie Z3 wrote: get a woolie hat, it works for me :zmurf:
I have 4 hats in the Zed - 2 baseball caps (to keep the sun out of my eyes + one for a passenger), 1 beanie (for my left ear) and 1 bizarre tartan thing with ear flaps (for the minus temperatures)... I just don't like wearing them! :D
Toying with wearing my Russian Army hat, with flaps up of course!
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Hats would mess my hair up though :D
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

The saga continues, have bought a Mesh Wind Deflector removed the perspex one and fitted it, today (a lovely day to say the least) I have been out for a spin and have to say there is no difference :head: it's still a gale force 7, looks like that I sit too tall in the car (everything is as low as it can go) so going to have to live with it and buy a hat, only thing now is which wind deflector do I sell :?: one is brand new and the other is as new......decisions..........decisions....?
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

MickJ wrote:The saga continues, have bought a Mesh Wind Deflector removed the perspex one and fitted it, today (a lovely day to say the least) I have been out for a spin and have to say there is no difference :head: it's still a gale force 7, looks like that I sit too tall in the car (everything is as low as it can go) so going to have to live with it and buy a hat, only thing now is which wind deflector do I sell :?: one is brand new and the other is as new......decisions..........decisions....?

I too have had both wind deflectors in the past, and as you say there is not a lot of difference between them.

I kept the perspex one because of the better vision. But thats just a personal preference. :)
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I wonder if installing the spacer mod to increase the seat height at the front would make any difference?
ImageImage
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

mid life crisis wrote:I`d like to know if someone`s got a cure for wind :oops:
Get a Hard top :shock: