Becker Cascade Pro fitted :o)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Becker Cascade Pro fitted :o)

Post by TitanTim »

Finally got around to fitting the Becker today which replaces the Sony unit that came with the Zed :lol:

Just wanted to thank Gary (Gazhyde) for the loan of the Sony removal tools, thanks alot Gary :thumb: Jonttt regarding fitting and Titan (Terry) for the part no for the screw head caps.

Prior to fitting I removed the two radio fuses. Apart from removing the Sony mounting sleeve which was a pain in the ar$e, fitting was a doddle and ran the Becker ipod connection through to the glovebox and the Sat Nav and mic cables the same route with the Nav receiver parked in dash corner. Only problem I had was one of the glovebox latch clips broke :( luckily I had a spare knocking round. Doing the wiring for the GAL was much easier than I anticipated thanks to a previous how too on here. The mic cable was run up behind the passenger windcreen pillar trim and across the top of the screen and attached next to the rearview mirror.

I was always dissapointed with the Sony unit, no matter how much I played with the equaliser, bass, treble etc the sound quality was always thin and lifeless, plus being an older model I couldn't connect an ipod/iphone. I know many have swapped the standard speakers out and did wonder if it was these that were just poor.

Anyways as soon as the becker was fired up all I can say is what a revelation, after a little tweaking the sound quality and depth is simply superb, well pleased :lol:

I was worried the Becker wouldn't match the dash as well as the Sony as the Sony had a silver finish however I'm not dissapointed in the end result. I know the Beckers are expensive but have to say I'm glad I went for one now.

Previous Sony unit,

Becker unit,

Ipod location,

Sat Nav Receiver,

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Good job, it looks great. :D I was truly amazed at the sound difference when i fitted mine too.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks great Tim and I'm glad you had no problems fitting / wiring the GAL :wink:

I would change the display colour to match the instruments (there is a very close match in the settings)

The bluetooth phone works remarkably well even with the roof down. I've had factory fitted units in Mercs and BMW's that do not work as well!
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

('_')Z3 wrote:Good job, it looks great. :D I was truly amazed at the sound difference when i fitted mine too.
Cheers Z3, in many ways I was relieved as if it had been the speakers then :head: but yes the difference in quality is very marked :lol:

Tim.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

That looks far better and far more OEM than the Sony unit that was fitted Tim.
Nice job :wink:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

The dash looks much better than with that Sony head unit!

Glad to see your up and running. 8-)

Gary
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:Looks great Tim and I'm glad you had no problems fitting / wiring the GAL :wink:

I would change the display colour to match the instruments (there is a very close match in the settings)

The bluetooth phone works remarkably well even with the roof down. I've had factory fitted units in Mercs and BMW's that do not work as well!
Thanks Jon, I will have a play over the week as I ran out of time today :roll: Glad I bought 2 harness adapters in the end as the existing harness adapter was Sony specific and was no good for the Becker :( so having the spare to butcher for the GAL was lucky. Haven't tried the bluetooth or Sat Nav yet as need to load the maps on :roll: Overall though the sound quality is like night and day :lol:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for gthe comments guys, really appreciate it :) Thanks again Gary :wink:

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

looking good Tim.
That interior is becoming very expensive, what with the mats and all... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:looking good Tim.
That interior is becoming very expensive, what with the mats and all... :D
Cheers gookah, I know I'm just thinking that, going to have to leave the hood up permanently from now on :shock: :lol:

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

TitanTim wrote:Haven't tried the bluetooth or Sat Nav yet as need to load the maps on :roll: Tim.
The maps should be pre loaded on the memory card and its just inserted in the unit permanently keeping the CD free. You do need to insert the system CD each time the unit has power disabled to reload the languages (I think its a security feature as well as the 4 digit code :wink: ). As I don't use CD's (having the Ipod link) I just leave the system CD in all the time (as I often remove the battery from the car for storage).
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Hehe, Signal 1 ;)
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Sat nav instructions-- turn right into garage and cover over :wink:
Looks great tim, a credit to a truly fanatical Z3 owner. 8-)
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z

Post by Hard Top »

hornel Z3M wrote:Sat nav instructions-- turn right into garage and cover over :wink:
Looks great tim, a credit to a truly fanatical Z3 owner. 8-)
:lol:

Very nice, looks good TT.

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Jonttt wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Haven't tried the bluetooth or Sat Nav yet as need to load the maps on :roll: Tim.
The maps should be pre loaded on the memory card and its just inserted in the unit permanently keeping the CD free. You do need to insert the system CD each time the unit has power disabled to reload the languages (I think its a security feature as well as the 4 digit code :wink: ). As I don't use CD's (having the Ipod link) I just leave the system CD in all the time (as I often remove the battery from the car for storage).
Thanks for the info Jon, the e-bay seller whom I bought the unit off is midlo1988, seems she deals in second hand Becker Units and currently has a new Ferrari Becker Cascade Pro Unit at a buy it now of £1690 :shock: She was actually very helpful so can recommend the seller if anyone is looking to get a Becker in the future.

She sent me the latest Navteq Version 5 European 2011 GPS Maps (2gb card & system Cd), looking forward having a look at these :lol:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mad Max wrote:Hehe, Signal 1 ;)
I changed it to Signal 1 as it was on Classic FM before :shock: :lol:

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Cheers Paul :roflmao:

Thanks HT :P

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

TitanTim wrote:Thanks for the info Jon, the e-bay seller whom I bought the unit off is midlo1988, seems she deals in second hand Becker Units and currently has a new Ferrari Becker Cascade Pro Unit at a buy it now of £1690 :shock: She was actually very helpful so can recommend the seller if anyone is looking to get a Becker in the future.

She sent me the latest Navteq Version 5 European 2011 GPS Maps (2gb card & system Cd), looking forward having a look at these :lol:

Tim.
Jobs a goodun them :wink:

The F430 has the same unit with the Ferrari badge on it, god knows what my boss paid for it as an option (will have to dig out the invoice)

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks Jon, I perish the thought :shock:

Shame the Ferrari wasn't still attached to my Becker :lol:

Tim.