Vandalism Paranoia!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Vandalism Paranoia!

Post by Warrior »

So i've got the Zed, my first convertible and all I see is opportunities for careless parkers, vandals, jealous neighbours to 'ave a go'!

Here's what i've narrowed the list down to...........

Supermarket dinks and dents....easy solution, I won't be taking it to Tesco's :D

Soft Top.....just right for the local knife wielding homicidal maniac but in reality on a mid week amble the other night I spotted 3 or 4 newer convertibles within a shout of our place. Has anybody had a problem in this respect?

Stubby Aerial, which has little or no give in it and would probably cause panel damage if some lout leans against it. Should I unscrew and pocket it every time I leave the car?

Soft top down. I can remove the front of the radio, remove any exposed valuables but still feel the car is somewhat naked and ripe for damage if left in the B&Q car park if only for 10 minutes. Paranoia or justified concern? Top up all the time or go continental!!!

Traffic light etiquette. the other day I sat at the lights with a van driver alongside who was just polishing off a can of Coke. I half expected him to lob it in the drivers seat :oops: Paranoia or does this sort of thing happen?
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

I've never had any problem with vandalism of the z3, just a couple of choice comments when driving around with the roof down.

If I park the car with the roof down then I'll raise the windows to stop someone leaning in. Never had a problem so far (touch wood etc... :oops: )
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

You are a bit paranoid in my opinion :) Unless you do something to really annoy people or live in the ghetto you should be ok

Can't imagine someone sat next to you at the lights chucking rubbish in your car. If they do take the reg number down and report it. If hood is down lock and hide all valuables. Personally we put roof up 1 min job for peace of mind.

Car park dings are annoying. Try park in larger spaces away from people that can't park or have kids seats in the back. These dings unfortunately happen and are annoying as hell

Go enjoy you Z fully and if any of your concerns happen worry and resolve it then

Going by your forum name...warrior...just go kickass :D :P
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

J1SUA wrote:Car park dings is annoying. Try park in larger spaces away from people that can't park or have kids seats in the back. These dings unfortunately happen and are annoying as he'll
Having seen number of instances over the years of bad dings actually happen they almost always occur where the cars are almost a doors width apart ie large parking spaces. This is when doors get the most momentum and hit the adjacent car with the biggest force.

So I either park far away from any other cars (but how many times do you come back with a car parked next to you :head: ) or I park in relatively tight spots (that way when a door hits you it does no damage).

Just my observations and others may disagree ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Had a couple of convertibles now and not had single problem, there's so many around these days people probably just ignore them.

As for leaving the roof down while popping into B&Q thats easy to fix...put the roof up! It only takes half a minute after all!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

The trouble is Bmw Z3`s are like honey traps, you can find a empty part of a supermarket or garden centre and when you return you are surrounded. Really annoys me. :evil: I think you are paranoid like myself but it always protects my car :wink:
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: z

Post by OXO »

hornel Z3M wrote:The trouble is Bmw Z3`s are like honey traps, you can find a empty part of a supermarket or garden centre and when you return you are surrounded. Really annoys me. :evil: I think you are paranoid like myself but it always protects my car :wink:
It's all cars. Even if I park on the far side of an almost empty tesco carpark, when I come back some idiot has parked next to me... and the rest of the car park is still unused.
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: z

Post by J1SUA »

OXO wrote:
hornel Z3M wrote:The trouble is Bmw Z3`s are like honey traps, you can find a empty part of a supermarket or garden centre and when you return you are surrounded. Really annoys me. :evil: I think you are paranoid like myself but it always protects my car :wink:
It's all cars. Even if I park on the far side of an almost empty tesco carpark, when I come back some idiot has parked next to me... and the rest of the car park is still unused.
+1

I parked my beloved 330 in a multistorey and left a really tight space next to it, even though there were dozens of empty spaces some barryboy parked there ripspeed special next to it! :head: "No mate, it does not make your car look any better" came into mind :lol:
audiovideodisco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by audiovideodisco »

I had a 368 'vert a few years ago and some twunt sliced the roof outside a nightclub. :madface:

As for the parking issue, I leave my hood down if I'm in a pub car park or working somewhere I know...oh and Waitrose, obviously. ;)

Asda, Tesco, Morrisons...I drive straight past. Sainsburys, at a pinch but will park right out back away from any vehicles but you guessed it, when I get back it'll have two cars parked so close I need a tin opener to get in it! Grr.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

With the Range Rover I started to park on the separator line, so there wouldn't be enough space either side for parking.

Guess what..

The twerps still cram their rustboxes in. :head: