So why is it we don't drive an MX5?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Post by Guest »

What is it that makes us glance at an MX5 on the road, and then turn away with a smug grin on our Face?

Do we all do it?
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

No I'm not a snob
'High G' motoring enthusiast
muckyman

M roadster S50

Post by muckyman »

Love MX-5s.
My mark 1 ended up with 245BHP and 210 torques.
Sold it.
Missed it.
Bought it back 2 years later.
Sold it.
Miss it.
May buy it back again one day.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

My friend has a lovely white R-limited Mk1 MX-5. It's white with red leather and red mohair roof.

He has just fitted a Supercharger and bought himself some custom 3-pc BBS RM split rims with mega rare MS centres. I think he'll be turning his nose up at multiple Z's anytime soon... :lol:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Because my neighbour has one and goes on club trips. I wouldn't want him to think I'm in any way impressed. :?

Oh, and my six-pot sounds so much nicer than his ordinary four-pot. :wink:
Last edited by motco on Thu 19 May, 2011 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Damn where did I leave my top hat and cane........

And yet here we all are driving a Z3......

Snobs in closets!!!! :bawl:
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

I could not do that that to hubby, he has a MX5 gleneagles sat on the drive he is doing up, new sill's and a Blue Mohair hood 8-)
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Sold my MK1 Roadster for the comfort of the Z3 ................ :arrow:

I miss her and will be buying her back when it goes on the market.
Will not sell the Z though ........................ :)
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

My bro-in-law has an MX5 on an 04 plate, and is coming on our euro tour next fri in it. must say i think its a great car. Dont honestly think it has the iconic curves of the Z3 but, as a roadster it has what it takes.
Good acceleration, good handling , great interior.
One of the best selling roadsters on the road. that says something !
So i dont look down my nose at them as i would rather have an MX5 than no roadster at all.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

errrm, because I wanted a Zed :D

Looked at all sorts of convertibles, but just couldn't find anything as good looking.

Drove an MX5 a few years back and it was a great drive, but just not the same feeling as my Zed.

No snobbery with me!
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Owned an '93 Mk1(NA) 1.6i SE(2)..........

MX-5 IMO is a perfectly adequate car.

I have also driven a brand new Mk1 owned by a family friend when it launched.

Despite the years that seperated my driving experiences of the 2 cars, I was more than aware of the looser feeling of the car I owned which had covered an indicated 80k miles.

Just as with other makes/models cars can go off if they are not kept on top of -wear to suspension/steering parts changes the driving dynamic.

I certainly dont look down my nose at MX-5 drivers. Indeed I see more seemingly sorted & enthusiast owned MK 1 MX-5's than I do tidy Z3's. When I owned the MX-5 it was top down nearly all the time unless it was raining. I felt enthusiast MX-5 owners would look in disapproval if I was caught top up on a dry day. In the Z3 I tend to feel less self concious of opinions from fellow owners & often leave the top up on chilly days. Perhaps this is in part due to me getting over the rag top novelty factor having owned a couple of such equipped cars.

Z3 owned may only be a 2.2i but it's faster & more effortless than the 1.6i MX-5 prior owned, (despite currently awaiting an exhaust cam sensor).

To be fair to the MX-5 I want quite as fussy re maintenance when I owned it so it may have benefitted from some tlc.

I dont think there's a lot between the 2 in the bends in standard guise, despite many slating the Z3 over freqently journo favoured Mk1 MX-5.

Ironically whilst both are obvious modern, (or rather semi modern), classsic 2 seaters I personally had a greater & more rewarding driving ownership experience when I owned a 1986 MK1 AW11 MR2. Sourced for just £900, (10 years ago), it felt very urgent in higher revs, handled like a dream & I felt more apart of the car than I did with the MX-5 or I do with the Z3. Last MR2 claimed by many to be even better to drive & an all together more modern ownership proposition - relatively speaking.

Despite all above the Z3 feels more solid than either MX-5 or MR2 & is by far the more comfortable & refined car to drive any significant distance unless its traversing bumps & potholes at speed on bends. To be fair this tightness has improved of late due to new OE ARB drop links, lower Z3M wishbone bushes & rear anti roll bar bushes, though replacement shocks/mounts & better tyres will no doubtr help further.

Would love to try a later shape MX-5 with a chassis based on the RX-8, that car being the nicest car I have owned in terms of behaviour & fun in the bends mixed with some comfort.

I don't look down my nose at MX-5 drivers. I accept make &/or model loyalty can cause both prefences &/or predjudice. I am sure some MX-5, Boxster, S2000, Elise, Caterham & Z4 owners etc may look down at Z3's &/or owners........Many enthusiasts simply enjoy driving & enjoying our chosen cars & respect the sensible quality choices & prefences of others.
Last edited by AW8 on Thu 19 May, 2011 23:06, edited 4 times in total.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.

Post by Guest »

Sheep springs to mind..........................Well my opinion is just that..........mine, based on shopping, owning trialling and then making a decision.......................and the grin coming from knowing I made the right choice.....

P.S. (Robin)

Opinions do not make you a snob, and i am an onest working class oik who done good, n proud of it. And IMOAO there is no one better than me!!!

Fiat Barchetta anyone? similar question (ouch) :head:

Post by Guest »

AWB, there is nothing wrong with S2000's, can't beat a bit of Play Station, It was the only one i tried that i would have bought over the Zed had the prices been right.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

S2000 certainly has an enthusiast following. S2000 appeal for me is very strong. I have no doubt it is probaly a more involving drive than the Z3 due to higher rev's required & in play on song plus the tail conduct.

I like the look of the S2000, albeit the I think the Z3 has the classic edge edge with it's more flowing curved lines (in places reminiscent of the 507).
Hardupteacher

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hardupteacher »

Only experience of mx5's are the ones who have drivers that do everything in their power to piss you off and egg you on for some kind of race.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Robin wrote:No I'm not a snob
:lol:

I love mk1's, there is a yellow one in the area which has widened arches and seriously dishy rims, looks sooooo cool. The later models look a bit weak to me but I guess its because I love big HP, if they had 2liter turbo models with 250hp+ i'd find them more attractive

S2000s I've got time for, very beautiful cars but they need more power than stock (preferably a turbo) for my liking, and the interior is TERRIBLE especially the digital dash which looks like its out of star trek or something
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

yalden wrote:My friend has a lovely white R-limited Mk1 MX-5. It's white with red leather and red mohair roof.

He has just fitted a Supercharger and bought himself some custom 3-pc BBS RM split rims with mega rare MS centres. I think he'll be turning his nose up at multiple Z's anytime soon... :lol:
This sounds awesome, had some rm's on my old dub, pics please
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Love the MX5s, I very nearly chopped in the 1er for the MX5 coupe last year, was only put off my the tiny boot, quite a bit smaller than the Z3 and just going from BMW build quality, just felt it would be a step down. I think everyone should own an MX5 at some time :) You cant knock em.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

AW8 wrote:Owned an '93 Mk1(NA) 1.6i SE(2)..........

MX-5 IMO is a perfectly adequate car.

I have also driven a brand new Mk1 owned by a family friend when it launched.

Despite the years that seperated my driving experiences of the 2 cars I was more than aware of the looser feeling of the car I owned which had covered an indicated 80k miles.

Just as with other makes/models cars can go off if they are not kept on top of & wear to suspension/steering parts changes the driving dynamic.

I certainly dont look down my nose at MX-5 drivers. Indeed I see more seemingly sorted & enthusiast owned MK 1 MX-5's than I do tidy Z3's. When I owned the MX-5 it was top down nearly all the time unless it was raining. I felt enthusiast MX-5 owners would look in dispapproval if I was caught top up on a dry day. In the Z3 I tend to feel less self concious of opinions from fellow owners & often leave the top up on chilly days. Perhaps this is in part due to me getting over the rag top novelty factor having owned a couple of such equipped cars.

Z3 owned may only be a 2.2i but it's faster & more effortless than the 1.6i MX-5 prior owned (despite currently awaiting an exhaust cam sensor).

To be fair to the MX-5 I want quite as fussy re maintenance when I owned it so it may have benefitted from some tlc.

I dont think there's a lot between the 2 in the bends in standard guise despite many slating the Z3 over freqently jorno favoured Mk1 MX-5.

Ironically whilst both are obvious modern, (or rather semi modern), classsic 2 seaters I personally had a greater & more rewarding driving ownership experience when I owned a 1986 MK1 AW11 MR2. Sourced for just £900 10 years ago it felt very urgent in higher revs, handled like a dream & I felt more apart of the car than I did with the MX-5 or I do with the Z3. Last MR2 claimed by many to be even better to drive & an all together more modern ownership proposition relatively speaking.

Despite all above the Z3 feels more solid than either MX-5 or MR2 & is by far the more comfortable & refined car to drive any significant distance unless its traversing bumps & potholes at speed on bends. To be fair this tightness has improved of late due to new OE ARB drop links, lower wishbone bushes & rear anti roll bar bushes though replacement shocks/mounts & better tyres will no doubtr help further.

Would love to try a later shape Mx-5 with a chassis based on the RX-8, that car being the nicest car I have owned in terms of behaviour & fun in the bends mixed with some comfort.

I don't look down my nose at MX-5 drivers. I accept make &/or model loyalty can cause both prefences &/or predjudice. I am sure some MX-5, Boxster, S2000, Elise, Caterham & Z4 owners etc may look down at Z3's &/or owners........Many enthusiats simply enjoy driving & enjoying our chsoen cars & respect sensible quality choices & prefences of others.
A well balanced, sensible reply
nobynom8ss

Z3 roadster 2.8

mx5

Post by nobynom8ss »

Had one my self and after three years of people takeing the mick (mainly from people that have never been in a rag top) i founnd it to be the best car i had ever had . And yes i was one of them that used to love beating a z off the lights all be it the smaller ones . One thing i do miss about the mx is that every time i passed another mx we would allways nod or flash as we passed each other .It is a sad thing that all the people that i have met on zroadster.net are top class people how ever i have yet to have a fellow z owner in leicester nod or flash back or even nod back .To me all rag top roadsters owners are all the same just on differant budgets . Any way Iam now geting off my soap box and if you are still reading this im off out to drive my z 2.8 with my new remus on looks great sounds even better. hope to see a lot of you at santa pod .be safe enjoy and if you are from leicester rember to nod or flash fellow z s
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I like the MX-5, it has stood the test of time, look how long it has been produced and the number's sold...many times more than all the Zed's I would imagine. However....I love my Zed, that's the difference :D :D
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Geoff H wrote: A well balanced, sensible reply

(Since tweaked for spelling & grammar)
Hardupteacher wrote:Only experience of mx5's are the ones who have drivers that do everything in their power to piss you off and egg you on for some kind of race.
Never experienced fiesty provocation from an MX-5 driver, (yet), albeit I would happily engage in a fun, spirited cross country trip back to back with a safely & well driven MX-5 so long as fun didn't turn into danger.

Whether in MX-5, MR2, RX-8 or the Z3 I have remained broadly speaking the same person & driver, albeit adjusting style slightly dependant on car specifics &/or route conditions.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

What is it that makes us glance at an MX5 on the road, and then turn away with a smug grin on our Face?
Because they're hairdressers receptionists cars :D
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

After years of driving "Sensible" cars 8 years ago I had my mid life crisis :shock:

I went and bought a Generation 6 Celica, I loved this car to bits, 2 ltr producing 173bhp, the handling was superb. 2 years ago I toyed with the idea of a GT Four, 242bhp, but then started looking at 2 seaters. I looked at the MX-5 and went to see one and test drove it, it was a 2 ltr, was really dissapointed with its performance. 142bhp, it seemed pedestrian after my Celica, and the Fuel consumption was poor, I was getting in the high 40 mpg with the celica (unless you kicked the second cam in) the best I could expect was 31 mpg from the MX5. I then stumbled on the Z3 and found a 1.9 for £3,500, I drove it and fell in love with it, although only 130bhp the car felt and looked like a sports car should. The only thing I didnt like was the Fuel consumption but this was secondary.

The MX5 didnt do it for me, Just a little two seater sports car with no appeal. Cant see myself owning anything other than a Z3 for a long time, and then will move onto a Z4..
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

Cos we like to live life on the edge?....not knowing when its time for the dreaded boot-weld repair :lol:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

domross wrote:Cos we like to live life on the edge?....not knowing when its time for the dreaded boot-weld repair :lol:
already done that ;-)
I like MX5s... i even considered one before i desided on a z3...
i think mx5s are more of a drives car than a z3 being lightweight and agile.. and being that mazda still sell the mx5 says alot...

Also i tend to get more waves from mx5s than z3s... im sure most mx5 drivers think us z3 drivers are the snobs and only drive them because of the bmw badge......
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3

Post by Guest »

The reason Mazda still sells the MX5 is because they lack imagination. The Z3 still exists, it has been modified improved and called the Z4.
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Evmundo wrote:The reason Mazda still sells the MX5 is because they lack imagination. The Z3 still exists, it has been modified improved and called the Z4.
Total c*ck!!

The MX5 has been through several redesigns and the latest Roadster Coupe model must be the equivalent of the latest generation of Z4, albeit a a very different price level.

The engine range is smaller and the cost is considerably less. Let's face it, you can easily pay over £50,000 for a well specced Z4 and an MX5 would be less than half that. The direct comparison between the two cars is really not a fair one.

The MX5 was originally conceived and designed as a two seater roadster and has been well received by the motoring press and the buying public alike since it was originally launched.

The Z3, by comparison was cobbled together by BMW as a parts bin special as an answer to the increasing market that Mazda re-ignited for two seater roadsters that saw the Boxster, SLK, MGF and others introduced to compete in that sector.

The MX5 is, I believe, the best selling car in that class and remains so for a reason. Based on price, it still really doesn't have any competition. Although the MGTF was re-introduced, it was essentially the same car that went out of production in 2005, the MR2 and Fiat Barchetta both went out of production without being replaced.

Finally, I do not believe that the MX5 has suffered the build problems that the Zed has. No dodgy boot welds there!!! The chassis was good from the outset and didn't need a shedload of cash throwing at it to resolve tramlining and other handling issues.

Why did I buy a Zed? I am not under the illusion that it is a great driver's car. Even if I had the spare cash, I wouldn't waste a fortune trying to resolve handling issues that I wouldn't get back when I sold it. The sound of the six pot motor is intoxicating and the open air driving experience is great. The car is compromised, but for the money, it suits me.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Cmon Reality check :wink: what a question to ask on a Z3 forum, nearly everyone here is going too slag the Mazda off, how would the Z3 stand up on a Mazda Forum, they are what they are and its all about personal preference, for me disregarding the Z3's short comings I dont like the MX-5 I much prefer the Z3 thats why I bought one.
Last edited by TaffZee on Fri 20 May, 2011 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

TaffZee wrote:... its all about personnel preference...
That's illegal, isn't it?

12 years of Z3 ownership says it all for me - nothing else gets a look in - unless it has big googly eyes. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Robert T wrote:
TaffZee wrote:... its all about personnel preference...
That's illegal, isn't it?

12 years of Z3 ownership says it all for me - nothing else gets a look in - unless it has big googly eyes. :D

Cheers R.
:oops: LOL, thats what you get when dealing with Staff all day....
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

TaffZee wrote:Cmon Reality check :wink: what a question to ask on a Z3 forum, nearly everyone here is going too slag the Mazda off,
most of the above posts have been very positive towards the MX5 . :puzzle:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.

Post by Guest »

I don't think the Z3 has issues, it has personality!

As for the MX5, it sells well because of the price, nothing else.

Quality costs, so if you want Quality you by the BMW or get a Merc its as simple as that Mazda are just cashing in on the market left by the demise of the MG, Facelifts are cheap, new models are not, hence Mazda do not bring a new one out, as they will not get their investment back.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Evmundo wrote:As for the MX5, it sells well because of the price, nothing else.
& balance, handling, reliability, character, image, enthusiast following, durability, aftermarket choices, simplicity, insurance etc.

Evmundo wrote:Quality costs, so if you want Quality you by the BMW or get a Merc its as simple as that.........
I admire & appreciate the BMW's we have but I personally don't put BMW (or for that matter Mercedes), on a quality pedestal.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Footnote ...................

I just enjoyed mine .................. Pics Link
Probably a little to much ......... :wink:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.

Post by Guest »

All these positive words about the MX5 are all very well, except you are all driving Z3 which means the MX5 did just not cut it for you and was not good enough purchase over the Zed.

Having worked for BMW, Rover and JLR and Formula Renault, I can certainly without a doubt vouch for their build quality and supplier selection is far above the others with the exception of perhaps Honda, Nissan and Toyota. Mazda went down the JV with Ford and I believe suffered both financially and quality wise as a consequence.

I think this has turned into an excellent post, thanks all for your input, it has generated real passion and comedy. I await further comment. :colourful:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Robert T wrote:

Cheers R.
Im suprised that you dont drive one of these then Robert!! :shock:

:D
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

MX-5 Owners

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I don't know why, but one big difference between Z3 and MX-5 owners is that there are a lot of the latter who actually USE their cars for more than commuting and posing!

On every high alpine pass I drive over I meet at least one - and usually a few - MX-5 owners and their cars, all of whom are friendly and return my wave of greeting.

The occupants of the occasional Z3 I come across are stand-offish, bad-mannered, unobservant, or too intent on looking 'cool' to bother with me.

Last week, as I waited at Dover for the ferry back to Dunkerque I counted no less than 24 cars gathering over the space of about half an hour - from the Dutch MX-5 club, after a tour of the UK. I have never, ever, seen such a display of enthusiasm from Z3 owners.

Does the MX-5 make its owners more adventurous than does the Z3, or are the more adventurous owners attracted to the MX-5? You tell me . . .

By the way - the MX-5 was not specially made as a sports car - no hard-nosed Japanese manufacturer would ever make such a mistake. If you look carefully you will find a mixture of older Mazda designs such as the 323 etc, combined with bits from their more modern models - just like the Z3.

Two things stand out when comparing the MX-5 and Z3 - the availability of larger engines, and a larger boot, both of which should appeal to owners who plan to go touring . . .
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Sat 21 May, 2011 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Opps!

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Double Posted!
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: MX-5 Owners

Post by Ian_C »

Mike Fishwick wrote: Last week, as I waited at Dover for the ferry back to Dunkerque I counted no less than 24 cars gathering over the space of about half an hour - from the Dutch MX-5 club, after a tour of the UK. I have never, ever, seen such a display of enthusiasm from Z3 owners.
Shame you can't get across to some the UK meets Mike, plenty of enthusiasm on show over here. This weekend's Newby Hall meet for example.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Short

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I don't wish to upset anyone, but it's typical of the enthusiasm seen in the UK - travelling relatively short distances in order to bask in the posing value of your car, and home in time for tea!
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

That was just an example Mike. Plenty of recent cruises too, here and here. IMO we have a decent mix of cruises and car show opportunities where z3 enthusiasts can get together - no different from the MX5, Boxster, MGF etc enthusiast groups really.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

But theres a group on here travelling to spain very soon? :puzzle: And in all honesty what has distance got to do with anything?? Enjoying the company of like minded people with the same interests is what its all about Mike...
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mike you do make me :roflmao: you should come on here more often, or perhaps your a closet MX5 owner :wink:

All this talk is making me want one now :P

What I wil say is, I owned the same Mazda 323 from 1985 to 2005 and the only thing it needed was a replacement battery and blown indicator bulb, it never let me down and you knew it would start every time, not many cars you can say that about over a 20 year period, good enough reason for me to get another Mazda in future.

Pics from 2005 with 60k on the clock :lol: humdrum yes, but a very reliable motor.

I really dont think Zed owners are any less enthusiastic about their motors than any other marque owners, perhaps theyre just more Mazda owners than BMW.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Bloody hell TT, that car looks brand new. :shock:
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

And to answer the question, the MX5 does not appeal to me, not sure about the shape. Bland. :?:

I would rather own an Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 V6 24V, with all its faults.
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

wow tim... should have kept it... i love the polished chrome rims!! ;-)
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Evmundo wrote:I don't think the Z3 has issues
Clearly doesn't know much about the Z3
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: MX-5 Owners

Post by Mouldy »

Mike Fishwick wrote: . . . . . . By the way - the MX-5 was not specially made as a sports car - no hard-nosed Japanese manufacturer would ever make such a mistake. If you look carefully you will find a mixture of older Mazda designs such as the 323 etc, combined with bits from their more modern models - just like the Z3. . . . . . .
I beg to differ Mike. The 323 of the time was a front wheel drive hatch and the MX5 conceived as a front engine, rear wheel drive roadster.

See here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5

One particular phrase stands out to me, which is why the MX has been a sales success through all of it's reincarnations;

In 2009, Automotive critic Jeremy Clarkson wrote:

“ The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Ancestors

Post by Mike Fishwick »

OK - I may have got the type number wrong, but the 323 etc donated various bits, the engine in particular being shared with other Mazda models.

The point I was making was that the MX-5, just like the Z3, is a parts bin special, which has obvious advantages for the maker, the dealers, and the owner. Who wants a one-off car, or one with a peculiar engine, like a TVR V8?

The MX-5, like most other cars, has to use major components from other models, which is why the price is so attractive.

On the subject of price, one reason for the Z3's price was that it had to sell for more than the MGF (then owned by BMW) which due to the previously-agreed price of its body (then made by Mayflower - makers of London cabs) left little room for reduction.

As a premium brand, it also had to sell for more than the MX-5, and as the best prediction was that no more than 100,000 models would be sold, the Z3 could not be priced at MX-5 levels. As almost 300,000 were eventually sold, BMW must ahve made a really good profit on each one!