Airbag light reset

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Airbag light reset

Post by mid life crisis »

Airbag warning light has come on, so i bought myself the reset tool from Bavarian Dominator, according to the tool its a supply voltage fault anybody got any ideas where i should start looking ? Tried just reseting it but the light came back on :head: ,MOT due soon is the light on a failure ?
Cheers Gary
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

My light came on a few months back and I'm sure it was the same fault, took a few attempts to get the light off but it worked eventually so I'd give it a couple more tries.

But then the light came back on a couple of weeks ago and it was the seat belt pre-tensioner at fault as the wire had split. Maybe the voltage fault could have been a warning that the wire was about to split and this caused a drop in voltage thats why the light activated? :shrug

I'd check the wiring to the seat belt pretensioner for splits etc, as these are normally the fault which sets the light off.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Common fault is the seat pad sensor going. You can buy a bypass unit off eBay for about £15. This worked for us

Believe this would be deemed an MOT failure. You have 2 weeks for retest but alternatively you can pull the fuse out for the light just for the test but I stress you need to get it sorted and not ignore it as until you have fixed that light your airbags are disabled and could save your life.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The most common fault is the connectors on the wiring under the seat. There is a modified harness from BMW that fixes the problem. The light will typically come on after you move the seat if this is the problem. It only takes a momentary break in the circuit for the airbag light to latch on. It can only be reset with a tool. Reset it and see if it comes back on.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It is an MOT failure.

Pulling the fuse won't work nor will removing the light.

The light has to come on and then go out to pass the test.
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

The airbag light being on is not an MOT failure.

The airbag system is not currently an MOT test item, so it cannot fail on an item that is not part of the test.
You may be advised that it is on, but it will not fail.
Next year there is talk of adding this to the test.

Check VOSA and directgov/MOT

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
LJSteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Airbag

Post by LJSteve »

My Z has just developed this problem after my very short girlfriend moved the seat yesterday. What is the 'reset tool from Bavarian Dominator' please and how do I use it - where do I put it and what does it do??
Thanks as ever
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

LJSteve,

It sounds like one of the seat connectors has pulled apart when the seat was moved. This would trigger the airbag warning.

It is possible to reconnect the connector with a bit of blind fiddling behind the seat. However you may find it easier to undo the four bolts holding the seat in place.

You will then need a airbag reset tool. I bought a Bavarian Dominator to reset mine when it came on after changing my seats.

It will list the faults with the system, so you can figure out whats wrong. It will then reset the light once all faults are resolved.

http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/page ... ent_294575

If you are any where near Swindon, your more than welcome to borrow mine and save yourself £40!

Gary
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Agree that this is not required to work for the MOT. My car just passed MOT with the light on and I specifically asked the tester if it was a problem. He confirmed to me its not required for the MOT.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Airbag light reset

Post by Brian H »

mid life crisis wrote:Airbag warning light has come on, so i bought myself the reset tool from Bavarian Dominator, according to the tool its a supply voltage fault anybody got any ideas where i should start looking ? Tried just reseting it but the light came back on :head: ,MOT due soon is the light on a failure ?
Cheers Gary
The supply voltage error can be the connector in the boot at the battery, there is a small connector on the positive battery terminal for the airbag system, if this gets knocked it can result in the error described.

HTH
LJSteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LJSteve »

Thank you all for the replies, when I have enough time to attempt the job and money to afford the tool or a trip to Swindon (thanks Gary) I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Steve