Door lock actuator

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Door lock actuator

Post by MickJ »

Looks like I have the standard problem as the nearside doorlock actuator has stopped working, I have read how to replace it in the knowledge base (very useful info ta) and that's not a problem, my question is, should I go ahead and get a replacement now or is there any mileage in waiting till I have it out and see whether it just requires a clean (as sometimes that is all things need) or is it a foregone conclusion that it is broken and needs replacing?

TIA

Mick
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

No thoughts at all?
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Door Lock Actuator

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

If I were you, I would take the door card off and see if there is anything loose or stopping the actuator from working, when you press the button. I would also, as a matter of course, test the fuse to make sure it is working properly, although I think if the fuse was at fault then the drivers side would not work either. :puzzle:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The wiring loom on the boot lid is often the cause of locking problems on just one door, it may well start working again without doing anything.
steve-1965

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

lock actuator

Post by steve-1965 »

Hi, looking at the wiring diagram the power for the actuators comes from the ZKE control unit, they are all connected in parrallel, so if one works, this rules out the control unit. The problem with mine was,

1. There are two micro switches in the actuator, one had failed.
2. The door loom plugs into the pillar on a multipin connector, water had got in and corroded the pins, hence no power to lock actuator.

I fitted an actuator of ebay and cut the plug/socket off the loom and soldered/insulated the wires.

Steve
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Thanks for replies and suggestions, will check out the options first, it had been playing up for a bit of time but usually cured itself, the other locks work fine, will check wiring in boot first.

Cheers

Mick