Ran out of Fuel, Question about system

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Ran out of Fuel, Question about system

Post by z3chuckles »

After recently reading a thread on here about how low to run the tank, my wife decided to try this anyway when it say empty it means it.

She tells me the car coughs and splutter the last 500 yards to the petrol station.

Anyway it now has a lack of umph..and I think the most symple thing to change would be the fuel filter as potentially and I have already replaced once because if the small fuel leak.

Which leads me to my question:

Does the fuel pump live in the tank or elsewhere as I want to draw through a little fuel.

Should I clean the throttle body as well

Any other suggestions re areas to clean through

! dont really want to remove the tank
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Before you spend any money, I'd check the OBD codes if I were you.

They will tell you what is causing the poor running.
Pingu
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Hi

Well Codes read, non outstanding.

Fuel Filter changed - ran pump for a few secs fuel pours out very fast! no difference when i drove.
Changed Spark plugs - as needed to be done anyway- drove no difference
Air filter - again needed to be done - no difference

There is a definite change, and it lost it higher rpm umph from say 3500 up, I know this engine has always been a little breathless, but the symptoms have only happened since running out of fuel.

any other thoughts
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

mite be worth running an injector cleaner through it...
halfrauds do it or any auto store... redex or sumit like that.... worth ago and id also suggest double dosing it

if gunk has got past your filter its going to clog your injectors..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Z3cade wrote:mite be worth running an injector cleaner through it.
I've used STP Fuel Injector Cleaner twice annually for the last three years roughly and it's always improved response and exhaust note. No negative points to note.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Well this is doing my head in and I now wonder if the problem is not related to the fuel problem, just happened to be coincidence.

My my wife brought the car home this evening, complaining that it is not starting when hot very well, but was fine this morning.

Just had a listen and it has a slight misfire, that was possibly masked by the new spark plugs etc.

I have read on here that it could be something like a cam sensor or similar as it seems worse when hot or potentially a coil pack.

I have also read that these might not always show up when the fault codes are read. Is this right?
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

A friend of mine had a similar problem, sluggish, slow to rev up and seemed like a slight misfire, turned out to be a partially blocked exhaust due to cat breaking up apparently, just a thought though I don't know how you could easily check.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic