annoying rattle

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
richardz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

annoying rattle

Post by richardz3 »

i have the most annoying rattle ever! 97 z3 roadster,it sounds like the drivers seat or behind it ?ive checked exhaust,etc if the car is parked and you shake it nothing,but when you drive there it is,as you go over bumps etc,before i pay a mechanic ,is there any ideas?.
rich
Midsomer Mikey

Z3 roadster 1.9

annoying rattle

Post by Midsomer Mikey »

Mine had a rattle at certain low revs traced it to the cat
the honey comb inside was starting to break up ,
cured by a new cat :idea:
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

As you come to the bumpy part of the road, apply the handbrake a couple of clicks to tension the cables a little (not enough to put the brake on). If the rattle goes away then you need to adjust the handbrake. It can be a very annoying rattle and is, I think, quite common.
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

annoying rattle

Post by Ci »

Yup, I have one also on my Z3 1.9 a '98 car. Thanks for the tips. My rattle is also at the back, somewhere, at low revs, when the engine is cold, going over bumps etc.
My ignorance: what is a cat? (a catalytic converter and part of the exhaust)? Replacement cat, how much did you pay?
I thought it could be a loose bracket on the exhaust, but need to explore both the cat and the brake adjustment - and other suggestions if anyone has experience of this irritating rattle. Drives me mad... :head:
Ci
Last edited by Ci on Mon 18 Jul, 2011 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

You may want to check the fuel tank mounting brackets as these can lose padding causing a full tank of fuel to be a bit squeaky/clunky when you go over bumps in the road. Another issue may be the rear shock absorber mounts, worth checking as these do tend to be a weak point in the Z3.

Cat = catalytic converter. ;)
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

I suggest you take each rear wheel off to check the springs. I recently had a rattle that turned out to be a broken offside coil spring, not what i was expecting to find at all! :shock:
Bill-

blank.gif

Re: annoying rattle

Post by Bill- »

Ci wrote:Yup, I have one also on my Z3 1.9 a '98 car. Thanks for the tips. My rattle is also at the back, somewhere, at low revs, when the engine is cold, going over bumps etc.
My ignorance: what is a cat? (a catalytic converter and part of the exhaust)? Replacement cat, how much did you pay?
I thought it could be a loose bracket on the exhaust, but need to explore both the cat and the brake adjustment - and other suggestions if anyone has experience of this irritating rattle. Drives me mad... :head:
Ci
Cats are big bucks 500 quid at least :shock:
richardz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by richardz3 »

Thanks for all your info ,I'll check em all;-)
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

I would also check the rear top mounts, my symptoms were as yours and it turned out to be a simple fix.
Try a search for "rear and mounts"

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14703

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... top+mounts

Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Any more thoughts on cause of an annoying rattle on my Z3 '98, near drivers side rear wheel - driving me MAD... As if something is going to fall off!
cheers - Ci
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

For a small car, there are a large number of things that rattle. Try a louder stereo!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Probably been said but;

Petrol tank straps can come loose? or rather they lose their padding and the tank can rattle.

Rear top mounts?

Loose spare wheel?
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Thanks for more tips on this. We'll explore more. Then stick of dynamite...
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

If it's synchronised with you revving (as opposed to the car moving) then a common little issue, causing a metalic tinkling rattle, is the lower shackle on the gearbox exhaust mount, rusting away. Specific BMW part (£5 approx) - not immediately fixable at your high street exhaust centre with stock generic brackets.

Internal parts breaking up inside either the Cat or rear boxes can usually be checked out by most helpful exhaust centres by them giving the unit in question a good shake - no rattle and it's probably OK.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Is the noise inside or outside? Like you had the most annoying rattle that seemed to be in the vicinity of the passenger door next to the seat. I tried everything, took the door cards off to check the window winder mechanism, checked that the seat was fixed OK, seat bushes, etc etc. Finally found out it was the door striker plate needed adjusting, it seems to be made from plastic so I guess over the years the constant tension on it from the door when latched has caused the plastic to deform and the tension to reduce, allowing the door to move. Less than five minutes with torx driver to adjust the plate and now the rattle has completely gone.... :D

Trouble is it was masking a slight rattle from the mechanism under the passenger seat, which as far as I can see is caused by clearance in the mechanism (not the seat bushes) and there's sweet FA I can do about it apart from getting a new seat :(

Oh well, c'est la vie.....
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Hi
No the rattle is outside, behind my right ear so I assume it is one of your suggestions re the: springs, shock absorber, handbrake cable, petrol tank. It comes when I go over a bump or I'm on a rough road surface. Narrow lanes in Dorset with high banks on either side is the ideal scenario! Wide dual carriageways can't hear it... We'll explore (Z3 '98).
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Thanks for advice on annoying rattle(s) - possible causes. Yesterday went to Compton Abbas airfield 'con rattle'. Afternoon the magician came round and went through your list of causes. Found: loose handbrake cable and petrol tank straps at top.
Result: silence. Job done. Cheers.