crankt Sensor now replaced,still not starting well, thougts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

crankt Sensor now replaced,still not starting well, thougts

Post by z3chuckles »

Does this sound plausible?

Well slowly we get there, well maybe with the crankshaft sensor.

Spoken to BMW dealer and after much thought talking and chatting to his colleagues.....we have potentially solved the crankshaft sensor problem, well maybe.

According to the dealer, the the crankshaft sensor on the M52 engine between 1996 and 98 before the TU model was of poor design and believed replaced with the upgraded part from the M52TU engine and an adaptor harness so it has the correct voltage.

He could not remember if recalled and could not find anything on their systems (and I have had a search since and found nothing) but remembered replacing a number of these when he was on the shop floor a number of years ago. My car had the original BMW sensor in situ when I tried to replace last weekend with date etc

This all sounds plausible and may resolve the problem just wondered if anyone can remember if they had any warranty work done like this in the past.

Best I can find is the link below re the change procedure, any thoughts appreciated, I have ordered both parts today and will fit tomorrow.

This diagram also show the position on my sensor which is at the rear of the engine not at the front like most!

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/05/24/83
Last edited by z3chuckles on Sat 23 Jul, 2011 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

Dont quote me on this but I do believe it was a recall.

I had the same issue but as the "work" was not carried out within the recall date I had to fork out for the new sensor and loom.

*edited for spelling mistakes* Damn wine :D
Last edited by Adam on Tue 19 Jul, 2011 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Also found out that in theory OBD1 cars had the sensor in the front at OBD2 cars in the back, interestingly my car in OBD1 car with sensor in the back.

Sure my car was a testbed!
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

OBD1 ? OBD2 ? sorry what is that?
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Adam wrote:Dont quote me on this but I do believe it was a recall.

I had the same issue but as the "work2 was not carried out withing the recal date I had to fork out for the new sensor and loom.
Same here cost £108 for both
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Ok I am falling out with the zed!

replaced crankshaft sensor per diagnostics on the Zed with nice bmw parts, still same problem not as bad though, annoying now, runs well just takes a couple of turn to fire! Rougher Rickover slightly rough, have checked all hoses and all seem ok no leaks etc.

Looking at likely problems, guessing, camshaft sensor, but was not on fault list os injector problem, any thoughts?

Found this on a previous post, any truth in this?.....

'If memory serves, the cam position sensor failing doesn't throw up a fault, because the ECU doesn't discern a correct reading from an incorrect one'
Last edited by z3chuckles on Sun 24 Jul, 2011 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

z3chuckles wrote:Found this on a previous post, any truth in this?.....

'If memory serves, the cam position sensor failing doesn't throw up a fault, because the ECU doesn't discern a correct reading from an incorrect one'
I don't think this is true, as mine currently has Camshaft position sensor (Fault 65) showing on the diags (and reappears every time I clear it, it's on the to do list).
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
z3chuckles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3chuckles »

Turns out to be, engine temp sensor and starting to fail battery, both replaced, now sorted in time for the sun!!!!
mrzwei

blank.gif

Post by mrzwei »

These sensors are a pain in the butt. Stalling, loss of low end power turned out to be the inlet cam sensor. Sorted on Tuesday and it's like driving a different car. I can recommend an indy bw mechanic in the Berkshire area if anybody is interested.
Noobmuch

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Noobmuch »

Was your initial problem that you car cuts off imediately after starting it?

Mine does that occasionally.