My modified projector headlights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

My modified projector headlights

Post by baretto »

Took a quick crappy phone picture tonight of my modified projector headlights which have custom shields and have been color modded.
Not the best picture in the world but you can see they have better output than the standard projectors and a better / sharper cutoff

jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Headlights

Post by jont »

Not really sure what you did can you explain

Regards
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

Put the headlights in the oven, dismantled the projector. Used aluminium painted with high temperature black paint to create a new cutoff shield and inserted this inside the projector. I then used 4 small washers between the front and back of the projector to space the bulb slightly further away from the lense to give more color among the cutoff (you can't see this on the pictures)
These headlights failed the MOT previously as the original beam pattern was so poor
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I'm no expert on headlight beam patterns so only going off what I've read on other forums and they fact I've had two sets of projectors and never had a problem with the MOT ........ But I thought the "tick" which you have cut off on the near side was designed into all lights so that the side of the road is lit without blinding ongoing traffic ie so you can see hazards and signs which are designed to reflect that part ofvthe beam. Are you sure your lights were just not badly setup ? The light pattern you now have does not seem right to me. My 5 series headlights are an almost identical pattern to the projectors fitted to my z3 so I can't see why they would fail an MOT unless badly setup ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster