Winter Tyres

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Phil

M roadster S54

Winter Tyres

Post by Phil »

Anyone thinking of fitting winter tyres?
If so what and are you getting new rims as well.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Interesting - not one reply to this which means I assume no one is using them.
I have 4 BMWs living on my drive, one for each family member, and 3 out of the 4 will have winter wheels and tyres fitted by the end of next week.
Everyone I know swears by them, so either everyone puts their Z into hibernation or struggles through the cold weather.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

This thread usually starts just as the snow appears... or at least it did last time it snowed.

Seems sensible to raise the question before the snow arrives. IIRC there was a big rush for them, and no one could get hold of any.

Personally, I went for a small front wheel drive car as my main driver. My 525d was absolutely hopeless in snow. Hoping the MINI should be pretty good in snow should we get any.

Have you considered a set of snow socks?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Its not just snow its any temperatures below 7C where the difference kicks in.

MikeR
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MikeR »

Hi Phil

Well, I'm now a big fan of Winter Tyres. I've just returned from a visit to my son in Vienna, Austria and although the temperatures are not that low at the moment, everyone has switched to winter tyres - it's law!!!! Last winter I took advantage of the BMW's deal for a set of winter tyres for my S-drive, X1 and what a difference they made. I was so impressed that I'm now looking to sort my Z3 out with a set of winter tyres but, like you, I'd like to know if anyone has had experiences of winter tyres on the Z3.

MikeR
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Phil,

Yes I have just bought a set of BMW alloys shod with Dunlop Ultragrip 7 runflats for the 1 Series, hoping to swap the wheels over tomorrow. The Zed is in winter storage so won't be fitting them but I would be if used during the winter months.

The 1er was completely hopeless last winter even with just an inch or two of snow it was downright dangerous on the summer runflats.

For some reason the majority of British people are completely ignorant of winter tyres or don't have a clue and think theyre just for when it snows or the more likely reason its just another expense.

If everyone fitted them, A) The country wouldn't grind to a halt with 2 inches of snow and B) We wouldn't need too waste taxpayers money gritting the roads.

This says it all :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahMDAr0ksM

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Simba901

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Simba901 »

Not got any for my zed but have got a second set of small alloys(16" smallest that fit) with pirelli winter sport on for my 328 touring. Picked the set up off ebay for £500 so bargain and i need to referb my other wheels so happy days. I have to say they do make a hell of a difference, in cold/wet/snow. There are alot for sale on ebay and on the E46 zone lot being sold at good prices. Don't get me wrong my landie is still far better in the white stuff but atleast with these on i can get home or to work with little trouble.
John
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I have no intention of fitting them to the M Roadster. It wont go out in the snow or cold. But I have fitted them, last week, to the 325 which I use for work and was just wondering how many Zs had them for the winter months.
The cars are hopeless in the slippery stuff as I have found out over the years.

Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Hi Phil,

Got these last year, had them put back on the car last week, and I have to say I am very happy with them.
They are very good in all weather conditions, but I find them especially good in the snow.

Good price too.

http://www.gtradial-us.com/gtradial/us/ ... 045&flag=3
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

buy a cheap subaru impreza for the snow :twisted: great fun :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

I'm off to pick some up for my 330d from "Spurs fan in a coupe" this week :D So no more being stuck for me I hope ;)

He said they're a little old but I'm sure they'll still be better than my summer tyres!
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Picked up some 15" style 27s then found some part worn Vredestein wintrax and some Michelin snow/winter. Much cheaper in 15s that finding some for my E46 which is running on 19s. Got it all off eBay last Feb for cheap guess lesser demand after snow has passed. Likewise with the hardtop.

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

When we lived in Switzerland we always had winter tyres on steel rims on both our cars. 325 Cabrio and 525 Touring. The winter tyres plus sets of chains prevented us getting stuck even in the most difficult conditions.

When up in the mountains I used to watch 4X4’s with low profile tyres on large alloys just spinning down the road often into the crash barriers, once through the barrier. In ten years I never had a problem with the BM’s. It is a mith about BM's being bad in the snow. It is not the cars but the tyres.

In the UK we do not have winter tyres for either of the Z’s and we run them unless there is lying snow on the ground. The ZM can be a little wayward in the cold but you just have to drive with consideration.
Last year I bought a replacement 525D Touring. Plus a set of chains. Although I did not get stuck, traction was not optimal.

This year I enquired through BMW about the winter tyre offer for the 5 series. I was quoted a price of just over £1700. However, I did not want run flats nor did I want alloy wheels but steel rims which can take a lot more battering on kerbs. This was not possible since BMW UK don’t supply steel wheels for my car.

So I bought 4 Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2 tyres 225/55VR17 through ATS and had the runflats removed which I am storing in the garage. Price including balancing, valves and nitrogen inflation was £733.34. If I scrape the alloys well that’s just unfortunate. Since I do not have a spare I bought some Halfords sealant (£9.99) and I keep a compressor in the boot with the chains. These items plus torch, shovel, rugs and a few candles and matches( a lighted candle will keep the temp inside a car above freezing if you are stuck) means I am ready . Next April I will replace the winters with the runflats

The only other consideration is the VR rating of the winter tyres means I will have to keep below 149 M.P.H in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John86

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by John86 »

Anyone as ever heard of Kuhmo KW27 tyres? Is it any good?
Otherwise which winter tyres would you advise?
Cheers