Door cards

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Door cards

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Has anyone had any experience of swapping the cloth/leather part of the door cards? When you remove the door card and look at the back the padded part appears to be attached using a melted plastic rivet thingy. My concern is how do you reattach the padded part if the plastic rivets things need to be cut off?
Cheers for any help
MikeR
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MikeR »

Hi

My original set of cloth covered door cards were removed from the door and the melted plastic bits were cut off so that the panels could be recovered in vinyl/leather cloth. Each panel was then relocated back onto the door card using a hot glue gun. This was fine until we had a very hot day when the glue tended to soften up and things started to fall apart. For me it was back to the drawing board and do the right thing - find, bid/buy from Ebay a set of leather door cards!!!!!

Hope this helps.

MikeR
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I did the same and changed the leather with some from a set of ///M doorcards with the airbag cut out. Had to cut off all the plastic rivets and replace the leather, then I glued the holes where the rivets had been cut off with a hot glue gun. Did this at the start of the year and so far they have been fine, but maybe it has not been hot enough this year for the glue to melt :roll:

Give it a try, maybe I have been lucky with the glue holding them but its cheaper than buying a new set of doorcards :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Am I missing something here? I just googled leather glue and got lots of results...
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Thanks for the replies.
I now have 3 sets of door cards, Cloth, Standard leather, and ///M leather. The ///M ones are good but not quite perfect like the others. I was wondering if you could stick very thin ply with short bolts sandwiched between the ply and the back of the leather so the threaded part protrudes allowing you to bolt the leather parts to the door card but this would still be reliant on finding something suitable to stick the back of the leather part to the thin ply!
zerolam

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by zerolam »

i used this method to fix the door card
jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jont »

I Did the same used a large Birco soldering iron and melted them then i re melted them back into place

Johnt :|
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Do those bolts with the slotted end have a particular name. They look perfect!
zerolam

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by zerolam »

i make it by myself, it is very easy to do so.