New gearbox!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New gearbox!

Post by **Z3** »

Hi all

Having a new gear box fitted by BMW on my 2.2i roadster, does anyone know if they keep the original clutch, or will they replace that as part of the gearbox? Also, will they change the gearbox oil? I know the oil is sealed for life or something similar? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I know nothing when it comes to mechanics! Sadly they found the alternator needed replacing to, is this normal for this to break/go faulty?

Thanks as always for your time in responding!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Replace clutch and oil as these will now last the lifetime of the car (or should do).

Alternators fail - that's life - nothing lasts for ever :shock: . It's not a common fault.
Pingu
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Sorry, are you suggesting I should get the clutch and oil replaced, or that BMW will do this as part of the gearbox change? The clutch was only replaced a year and a half ago by BMW!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New gearbox!

Post by Brian H »

**Z3** wrote:Hi all

Having a new gear box fitted by BMW on my 2.2i roadster, does anyone know if they keep the original clutch, or will they replace that as part of the gearbox? Also, will they change the gearbox oil? I know the oil is sealed for life or something similar? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I know nothing when it comes to mechanics! Sadly they found the alternator needed replacing to, is this normal for this to break/go faulty?

Thanks as always for your time in responding!
I would had thought that a new gearbox will have new oil, if it is a salvaged/secondhand gearbox then get it changed.

The clutch will be a judgement call, as pingu suggested getting it changed at this point and it will ensure years of service, however you mention that the clutch was only changed approx 1 1/2 years ago, I would talk to BMW and ask them to assess the clutch for wear and tear once the old gearbox is out, if they think it needs replacing then this is the time to do it as I suppose you will only be charged for the parts (and possibly a minimal labour charge for actually fitting the clutch plate etc.) as the majority of the labour cost will be covered by fitting the new gearbox.

HTH
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

As Brian says.

An original clutch would probably be worth changing, but an 18 month old one is probably OK.

The new gearbox will have new oil in it.
Pingu
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

You seem to be having a few problems for a BMW which is not that old, what kind of mileage has it done.
The first clutch on my E30 325 lasted 160,000 miles and the alternator has just been changed for the first time at 217,000, the gearbox is original and perfectly OK.
Do you trust your BMW garage?
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, my z isn't that old, in fact one of the last to be built its a 2002 (I think I'm right in saying that?) anyhow, yes I'm surprised at these parts going but the gear change was feeling funny so had her checked out, I use BMW westerly Exeter, I can't recommend them enough, front end staff are always smiling and can't be helpful enough, plus all the work I've had done has always been to my knowledge very good! (no I don't work for them!). So in answer to the question yes I do trust them, plus I think I must be one of a few if not the only one in the uk that still has his z with a full BMW warranty so I don't have to foot the bill (£3100+)!!! The car itself has done 57,000 miles so still being run in IMO? Having read a few forums on here first about gearbox oil change I was just wondering if this occurred on a new box? Thinking about it silly question but then im not a mechanic! Really looking forward to getting her back and trying her out without all the notchy gear changes of before! Should be back next week so will update when I get her returned! Fingers crossed!
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Mine and others experiences of a notchy or poor gear change, especially with the ZF gearbox has been rectified with an oil change and a clutch slave cylinder bleed. :roll:

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Frank.A wrote:Mine and others experiences of a notchy or poor gear change, especially with the ZF gearbox has been rectified with an oil change and a clutch slave cylinder bleed. :roll:
Not being a trained mechanic I can't really give an educated opinion, I do sometimes think that there are two ways to resolve these issues, the cheaper alternative (I.e oil change etc) or the BMW dealer way of thinking which is if it's showing signs of breaking replace it! Which way is the best I would suggest is open to a rather large debate? Which is better for the wallet is a forgone conclusion?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

As it's a warranty item,there is no issue.Just seems unlikely that the box needs changing at that mileage. :)

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Frank.A wrote:As it's a warranty item,there is no issue.Just seems unlikely that the box needs changing at that mileage. :)
Yes your quite right there is no issue personally, I was just making a generic statement as I would respectfully suggest that the majority of contributors and readers to this forum don't have BMW warranties on their z's? With regards to your suggestion that there is no problem with the box, well, perhaps you are correct, nonetheless I wait with everything crossed that it cures the rather unpleasant gear change I have been experiencing! If nothing else I always get the z back nicely valeted, which it's in desperate need of!
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Hi all

Just a quick update, z is going in for a new dual mass flywheel! Has anyone had a new one of these installed? Does it make much of a difference?

Thanks all
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

When BMW replaced the gearbox on my ///M under warranty they were not going to replace the clutch as part of the warranty job. The did offer to do it for just the cost of the parts.