Oil Leak!!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Oil Leak!!!!

Post by Monkey »

Arrgghh, just noticed i have an oil leak, its not too bad, but its an annoynce and concern, it drips a small drop every 10 - 15 seconds. its deffo engine oil

its from the front left (passenger side) of the engine, Sorry for the crap phone pics, i'll try and get some better ones tomorrow

its dripping from this bolt, i know this bolt isnt the issue, but thats the lowest part ofthe car. the "pipe" infront is the steering, and the blot is towards the rear of the car

close up

the line of oil on the steering is a read hearing, as it was the lowest part of the car earlier as the car was parked on a slope

Front of the bottom of the engine

the top of the engine is dry, and i as yet found where the sump plug and oil filter is, i think its either sump gasket, sump plug or a crack in the sump.
swamper

M roadster S50

Re: Oil Leak!!!!

Post by swamper »

iv got the same on the M43.....it seems that its the gasket that joins the oil filter housing to the sump.....or the oil pressure switch
part 6 and 10
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=30

had a go today to see if i could do it my self.....but after getting back ache :roll: i phone the indy and he reckons £135 parts and labour included.
i think i'll let him get full of oil...

edit might have another go tomorrow ...as we ended up going playing out in the M :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

had a proper look with a better torch, and it looks like it "could" be the drivers side, i cant get a good look at the rocker gasket that side, as the engine is "canted" (no jokes please) but there is fresh looking oil on the steering rack/wishbones below the engine on the drivers side. i need a proper look in day light and with the car jacked up.
jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jont »

I have just had the same prolem aftre 260,000 Klms 162000 Miles

I first thought it was the seal behind the harmonic balancer so I removed it to find it was the oring seal assy and gasket on the oil filter unit it was running down behind the harmonic balancer.

Not a easy job to remove the harmonic balancer but i succeeded

Its a Bit of a fidly job to replace the seal and gasket on the oil filter,the altinator had to come off and the power steering brkt assy to give you access to the 6 bolts that hold the oil filter unit.

johnT :lol:
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

jont wrote:I have just had the same prolem aftre 260,000 Klms 162000 Miles

I first thought it was the seal behind the harmonic balancer so I removed it to find it was the oring seal assy and gasket on the oil filter unit it was running down behind the harmonic balancer.

Its a Bit of a fidly job to replace the seal and gasket on the oil filter,the altinator had to come off and the power steering brkt assy to give you access to the 6 bolts that hold the oil filter unit.

Yeah it looks like a git, BMW deffinatly packed the engine tight, not that they needed to
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i take it you had to drain the oil out before you removed the oil filter unit?

Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

swamper wrote:

i take it you had to drain the oil out before you removed the oil filter unit?
yes you would, the filter is quite high up, but theres going to be at least a litre of oil in the engine that will need removing, as it will get messy. so to drain the engine first is the best way, there will still be oil in the filter engine, but alot less. and if your putting new oil in its best to repalce the filter as well. so your basically doing and oil service. get a set pf plugs, air filter and fuel filter and a basic service is done.

the oil alone will make up about half the cost of the service parts, the filters are cheap.

i've bought 5l of 5/40 and a filter for £34 delivered, the gaskets and 'O' rings from BMW are £11 inc VAT, the fuel filter and air filter will be about £5/10 each. i may also replace the alternator belt, thats £15 ish from GSF though. as you have to remove the alternator to replace the gasket. silly design i would be surprised if all of the parts cost more than £50
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

im afraid im one step ahead of you today.... :D
http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1106

jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jont »

actually guys you do not need to drain the sump, when you start take the cover of the filter, pull out the filter and put in a cup or container and mop up the excess oil in the housing with a rag.
When you undo the six bolts and take the housing of there is very little oil there .Ater you install the housing with a new gasket and o'ring unit (using some gasket goo on gasket) top up the housing and filter with new oil.

Regards JohnT
Monkey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Monkey »

swamper wrote:im afraid im one step ahead of you today.... :D
http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1106
Ohhh a challenge - i will need to do mine in sunday, and have it working before i go to work on Monday Morning
jont wrote:actually guys you do not need to drain the sump, when you start take the cover of the filter, pull out the filter and put in a cup or container and mop up the excess oil in the housing with a rag.
When you undo the six bolts and take the housing of there is very little oil there .Ater you install the housing with a new gasket and o'ring unit (using some gasket goo on gasket) top up the housing and filter with new oil.
i see what your saying, but i'd never do that, theres no point TBH - in my car at least, the oil is a good 8000 miles old, as thats the last stamp date, so i want ot put some fresh in, and i think i'll do a basic service as well, for peice of mind
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

jont wrote: When you undo the six bolts and take the housing of there is very little oil there .Ater you install the housing with a new gasket and o'ring unit (using some gasket goo on gasket) top up the housing and filter with new oil.
You can't top up the filter housing - I wish it was possible - as with the cap removed any oil in the housing is drained intothe sump. See my bit on Oil Changes in the Z3 Knowledgebase for details.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

yep i didnt drain the engine just the housing .........i need to go and pick the gasket up but im nursing a hang over :oops:

ok need a little help here.........
the non return valve is in the engine block and turn but doesn't feel like it comes out?
im this far in i might as well change the o rings on it but it really isnt going to come out with braking.....does it come out?