2.2 starting issues....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

2.2 starting issues....

Post by pedro20001 »

evening, started zed up today after being in garage since sunday afternoon and it ran rough as if on 4 or 5 cylinders. stopped engine, went to restart and just span over.tryed again, same. left for 30 seconds and started, went for a drive and all good. checked for codes but none. anyone any ideas please as this is my daily drive and don't want to be calling rac at 5 o clock on the morning after a night shift!!!
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: 2.2 starting issues....

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Have this on my own 2.2, seems to clear after a quick blip or two on the throttle.
Especially like it if I just move it off drive and back on, then turn it off to restart
it in the morning for work. Must be flooding the engine or something like that.
Now when I move it I tend to drive up the road and back and dont have the trouble.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

fitted new camposition sensor today ( febi / bilstein ) from eurocarparts , £43 with 25% off code. made a difference to driving as had been feeling a little down on power but whether it will affect starting issues...who knows!!! for the cost, i might fit the exhaust sensor and a coolant temp sensor to be on the safe side . are there any other sensors which can play up ? cheers guys.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

throttle position sensor...is one that can cause problems.
have you checked the air intake pipes?
the badness makes me do it...!

Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

2.2 starting issues....

Post by Heath »

I would have thought if any sensors were playing up it would store a fault code & show up on the code reader. I think you will be wasting your money changing sensors when they are probably ok. If you have no fault codes showing I would look at thinks like plugs, air intake, coil packs etc

Heath on Tapatalk
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

These starting problem issues can be caused by many things. However, I tend to agree with Heath. If you are geting no codes and this "rough start problem" only happens on a cold start (first start of the day) I would first check the rubber vacuum hose, down stream from the MAF, for holes and splits. They get dry and brittle with age and the holes are often on the underside where they are less visible. Most Z3s are now at least 10-years old and so any original vacuum hose is a likely culprit.