Wave goddamit, wave

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wave goddamit, wave

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I know this has been covered before, but I need to vent my disappointment at the lack of inter-Z3 waving.

When I'm on my bike, we always nod to each other - very rare to get a non-participant. When I'm in my Range Rover (first generation, not super-common these days), more often than not there's a mutual acknowledgment.

But in the Zed, nothing yet.

Unfortunately spouting off on here is futile, because just by being here I expect that you are the type of people that would wave and, no doubt, share my disappointment. Ho, hum. I guess we can all wave to each other at the Silverstone Classic to make up for all the others.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wave goddamit, wave

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's a 'nearly all Z3 owners' thing I'm afraid - to them it's just a car . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Maybe in another 10 years time when it only the true diehards...
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I always wave and usually get some kind of response, one way or another :lol:
Toony

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Toony »

I agree, it is disappointing. A bit embarrassing when there is no return of wave as well :oops:

But I am inclined to persevere for the time being, we can all wave at one another on the parade lap at Silverstone :lol:
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Got a wave from a young lady in an MX-5 tonight, made a 50+ year old feel like a twenty year old again :D
Sadly no waves from zeds recently, not even my z3 doppelganger that sometimes passes in the opposite direction as I go to work. :cry:
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I will flash my headlights if I see a Zed coming towards me and then wave, works most of the time.

Occasionally someone will wave first, and of course I wave back. :wave
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I think they're still a bit new to really have attracted the kind of cameradery (spelling?) between owners that older cars like MGs and such enjoy. I'll be disappointed if I don't get a waves off other RS2000 drivers though when it's back on the road, but I kind of don't expect it from other Z3 drivers. I tend to do a half hearted lift of the fingers from the wheel and quickly change it to 'adjusting the sunvisor' if ignored...and sometimes I wave then realise I'm not driving my Z3 anyway (it's an age thing I;m sure :D ).
Rory4711

M roadster S50

Post by Rory4711 »

Yep; quite agree with sentiments shown here. I always wave and, to date, I've never has a single acknowledgement
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I waved three fingers to a lady Z3 driver through the windscreen of my company van and got an enthusiastic wave back! Of course she was probably a fan and recognised me! :wink:
Last edited by Bonzo on Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Even the newest Z3 is now ten years old, which in today's motoring world is pretty ancient, and most are about 12-14 years old, so I don't think that age of the Z3 has anything to do with the lack of cameradie amongst most drivers - back in 1968 when I had my first Sprite everyone used to wave at each other, regardless of age of version. Even MG Midget owners were of the same persuasion, and you felt quite bad-mannered if you missed a wave before the other Spridget vanished!

No - it's the type of person who usually buys a Z3, and even those few who one spots on the most remote mountin passes ignore my wave. Perhaps it a sign of the current dread of becoming 'involved' with a stranger - and of course my car wears French plates, which (if they read the Daily Express or othe anti-EU rags) gives them an excuse to forget their manners!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm afraid Mike is right. I always try waving a Z3s in the vain hope of a response, but I have given up with Z4s. The Sprite is a completely different business - everything that is vaguely a classic waves to that, including Ford Focuses! Even had a wave from an Aston before today. I wave at Z3s when I'm in the Sprite, and that really confuses 'em. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Mike & Robert are both correct about this, in all the years I've owned a Z3 I can't remember many waves, if any. But driving a MGB Roadster you got them from all other classic cars, who even stopped to have a look and chat about cars. A different world really
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Brand snobbishness? or perhaps their Z3's are just not that important to them! Who knows? But I'll still keep waving and smiling when I see another one. :wave :)

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.