Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: ABS

Post by geminimustang »

We've got a 1997 and yes,it's on ours.
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Its just I am wanting to change the brake fluid and my local motor factor does Dot 4 for ABS systems and one for ASC systems. I know it has ASC because there is a button on the console. When I switch on the ignition there is an ABS light on the dash. So if it has both ASC and ABS which brake fluid do I use? I might be better just going for a universal one. :?:
Heath

Z3 roadster 2.0

ABS

Post by Heath »

I didnt think ASC was anything to do with the brake system, it just cuts the power (by the engine) to the wheels if you spin them.
The ASC & ABS share the same sensors but it doesnt affect your brake fluid.

Heath on Tapatalk
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Quick explanation....

All Z3s have ABS as standard. All Z3s with the exception of the S50 ///M have either ASC, ASC+T or DSC.

ASC stands for Automatic Stability Control and it applies the brakes to the wheels in order to maintain control of the car. It is very tightly integrated with ABS and uses the same pump.

ASC+T adds traction control - as fitted to the pre-facelift 1.9 - which has two modes of operation - stage one is to brake the spinning wheel thus acting as an electronic LSD, stage two reduces the power from the engine if the wheel(s) continue to spin. ASC+T does not work in conjunction with an LSD, so the 2.8s only have ASC.

DSC is an evolution of ASC and works in the same way.

I have no idea why you would need different fluid for ASC systems than ABS, but I can at least confirm that you do have both! :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Just use normal DoT 4 fluid - there is no magic about having ASC - traction control - as well as ABS - the ASC simply uses the ABS pump to apply the brake of a rear wheel which is spinning, so that the differential feeds torque to the non-spinning wheel. Of course, that additional torque may cause that wheel to also lose its grip . . .

I use ATE Dot 4 fluid from GSF - alternately the clear or blue fluid, which is handy as one can easily see when the opld fluid has been purged from the system.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Thanks for the input guys. I went for Mintex Dot 4, plus renewing front discs and front and rear pads, all Mintex.
Broke part of the brake wear sensor connector when trying to disconnect it. When I pressed on the plastic lug to release it the plastic seemed brittle and smashed with thumb pressure. Damn! I reconnected it and wrapped insulating tape round it to hold it place. I reckon it should be OK its sheilded inside the the protection box.