WILL THIS FIT????? AHHHH!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

WILL THIS FIT????? AHHHH!!!

Post by dallantan »

Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: WILL THIS FIT????? AHHHH!!!

Post by Frank.A »

Sorry, not sure if they would fit,but I certainly would not want to clean them.Not much good for someone who uses their car.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

the look like that are for a 5 series mate .......the ET is low on them to for a z3
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

oh well bought now....

....spacers here we come...

Pics to follow...
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

dallantan wrote:oh well bought now....

....spacers here we come...

Pics to follow...
I don't think that spacers are needed - more like reducers:

Assuming existing is FR 7.5 ET45 and RR 8.5 ET45 then:

For 8.5 ET20 the outer face will extend out an additional 38mm
For 10.0 ET15 the outer face will extend out an additional 49mm
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

I have just been on this websote and as far as I can gather....

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

...i "should" be ok providing a get a real dirty amount of stretch...
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ok so this is what I have found.....

,...i hope this wil be ok...

Dallan |07712 415 619

Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

dallantan wrote:I have just been on this websote and as far as I can gather....

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

...i "should" be ok providing a get a real dirty amount of stretch...
Sorry but these wheel sizes just don't appear to work for a Z3 (not that surprising as they are 5 Series wheels) without considerable arch rolling, stretch, etc.

To maintain the rolling curcumference within 3% on the rears you would need 225x40x17 (speedo error 2.62%)
The outer face extends by 49mm and usually people fit 5 / 7 /10mm spacers to normal Z3 wheels to fill the arches so you appear to need to move the outer face of the tyre back by around 39mm (49 less 10). Also not sure why 225 tyres on a 10" rim? Our Z4 has 255s on a 8.5" rim and if going to 10" I'd be looking at least 275s if not bigger.

IMHO I'd take the up the Seller's offer to return within 7 days and just lose the postage cost.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

But I will be allowing stretch in order to get them fitted under the arch...??

Other people on the forum have said this will be ok?

Have you checked the "willthisfit" website??

[DT_Photography] 07712 415 619.
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

it will be very tight .but you will need to stretch both the front and back ........ i did the same mistake as you mate ... :head: i found the front was hitting the arch when on rough roads or mini roundabouts .......
i hope they work for you with a good stretch .....
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

PCSAM: it is people like you who give me faith!!

:D :) 8-)
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

PS, PCSAM: what stretch would you recommend??
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

i sold the alloys on mate ...... and im not that good at working out the best stretch for you .... a good Tyre fitter should be able to do it for you with the car present ...
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ok dude, no worries.

I think I am going to gun for a deep stretch so I can get the car a bit lower anyways...
Dallan |07712 415 619

Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

dallantan wrote:But I will be allowing stretch in order to get them fitted under the arch...??

Other people on the forum have said this will be ok?

Have you checked the "willthisfit" website??

Yes I did use that website plus another one just to make sure. Sorry but I can't see where anyone has said that they will be OK straight out of the box and PCSAM did end up selling his wheels on and getting a set with the correct offsets. Also it's not just a case of fitting the tyre within the arch as some of the combinations with your sizes give speedo errors of 15 to 18%. I've just checked my 245x40x17 on the Z3 and the outer face of the tyre sits about 28mm in from the outer side of the arch so tyres (without stretch) on the 5 Series wheels look as if they will sit around 21mm outside the outer face of the arch - as it is lowered you could even then have clearance issues (as PCSAM found) to the inner edge of the arch.

Sorry if you don't like the answer but 5 Series wheels just do not fit a Z3 without a lot of work. Setting aside the M variants wheels from an E36, E46 or E85 fit the Z3 but even they do need to be checked. If you search you will find posts by others who have rolled their arches, etc to make odd wheel sizes fit.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Apart from the offest issues the centrebore of the 5 series wheels is also different.
I cant see them fitting, compounded by your immenenant coilovers
Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

hmmm......
Dallan |07712 415 619

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

So to summarise, you posted a thread asking if these wheels will fit, waited less than an hour for a reply and then bought them anyway. Upon being informed that they won't fit, you're now planning to add ridiculous amounts of stretch which is not only dangerous but potentially invalidates your insurance (vehicle components operating outside of the manufacturers guidelines etc.) I can understand a slight stretch but judging from the diagrams you've posted, you're planning to reduce the footprint of the tyre in contact with the road by around 20% - you can't tell me that this is safe or a good idea. It's also worth noting that if the tyres extend further than 30mm from the arches it's also illegal.

Sorry for the barrage of negativity but selling those wheels is the only sensible option!
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

i bought them on the premises they will fit as other members have confirmed.

the worst case scenario is I can sell them for more than what I have paid for them (mainly because I actually paid significantly less than the advert states).

best case scenario is that they actually do fit like other members....

:head: :head: :head:
Dallan |07712 415 619

markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

What are you doing about the larger centrebore ? do you have spigot rings to correct ?

You may get these on the front, but they will stick out and they will change the loading on the wheel bearing
Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

markrnorton wrote:......they will change the loading on the wheel bearing

does this mean it may unbalance the top mounts?
Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

OK, read most of the replies on here, some good, some ok, some wrong.

Anyhow, they will fit. I have no doubt in that. However, to the true roadster members on here, the offset is all wrong and not correct so in their eyes I'm affraid they wont fit.

HOWEVER, you're a young lad that wants stance (like me), they will fit. Youll need to stretch tyres on tho and they will be tight depending on how low the car is (dirty camber :)).

I dont think you'll need any spacers tho dude, maybe 5mm on the rear for a bit more stance but thats about it. Again same applies for the front, put them on first and see how it sits.

As for tyres, on the fronts I'd go 205/40s and for rears probably 225s at least. Try for 40 profile if not maybe 45 to allow easier stretch.

Put it this way, my wheels are 8.5j front and 9.5j rear 17s. However they are ET35, but with the spacers they turn into basically as:

Fronts: 8.5j et 15 (Hense me saying maybe 5mm spacers as technically im on a lower offset!)
Rears: 9.5j et 05 (So 15mm lower offset then yours but im half an inch less in diameter so again works out maybe you'll want 5/10mm spacers on rear).

But as said, get them on first, with the right strech alread and see how it goes. If you want a bit more filling in the arch, get 10mm spacers or 5s.
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Oh, and I get NO scraping/rubbing at all on arches :)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

JamesRowe wrote:Oh, and I get NO scraping/rubbing at all on arches :)
meh....gonna go for it anyways, especially for how much I actuallty have paid for themm...

pics a'comin!
Dallan |07712 415 619

markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

dallantan wrote:
markrnorton wrote:......they will change the loading on the wheel bearing

does this mean it may unbalance the top mounts?
No, it means you could knock out the front wheel bearings quicker

What about the centrebore ? how are you sitting the wheels on the hub ?
Still modifying
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

dallantan wrote:i bought them on the premises they will fit as other members have confirmed.

the worst case scenario is I can sell them for more than what I have paid for them (mainly because I actually paid significantly less than the advert states).

best case scenario is that they actually do fit like other members....

:head: :head: :head:
Maybe me but reading all 3 threads I can't find any other member who has confirmed that these wheels will fit.

One of the other threads HERE was about a different set of wheels:

2 X 8.5 X 18" 5X120 ET35 ALLOY WHEELS ( FRONT ) 2 X 9.5 X 18" 5X120 ET45 ALLOY WHEELS ( REAR ) that Gazza responded to saying that these would fit but that you would need to check the reduced inner clearance.
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Lower offset on all wheels and more or less same sizes......

They fit!

Yes it will put more load on, its a matter of leverage... depends how much you want stance eh? - This fact applies to all cars, inc. all the dub boys!

Centre bore maybe an issue as it doesnt actually say what they are, but being an aftermarket wheel, I doubt youll have to worry too much!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

^^^^
I'd worry alot about the centrebore, if you dont sit concentric on the hub you'll soon know about it !
I'm all for modifying, but the Z3's handling can tramline, doing this looks like it may make this worse and create and evil monster !

James, your car looks good, like the 'stance' as you call it.
Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

ANYWAYS....

REGARLDESS OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS, JAMES ROWE IS CORRECT.......

Front DARE RS (17" x8.5J) ET15 wrapped in 205/40/17"
Rear DARE RS (17" x10J) ET20 wrapped in 225/45/17"

ENJOY

Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Ha :). Been slamming and stancing cars for years to not know :).

Looks good dude! Prefer my rims ;)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

JamesRowe wrote:Ha :). Been slamming and stancing cars for years to not know :).

Looks good dude! Prefer my rims ;)

pffftttt ;)
Dallan |07712 415 619

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

dallantan wrote:ANYWAYS....

REGARLDESS OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS, JAMES ROWE IS CORRECT.......

Front DARE RS (17" x8.5J) ET15 wrapped in 205/40/17"
Rear DARE RS (17" x10J) ET20 wrapped in 225/45/17"

ENJOY

Hate to say it, your poor Zed looks ridiculous. I just don't get why anyone would fit a 225 width tyre on a 10" rim is beyond me. God forbid if your Zed was ever involved in an accident the dim view the police and your insurers would take. I just hope you fully understand the stresses on the tyre wall that is in effect now being used as the footprint :?

Sorry to rant on but a sensible wheel and tyre choice is not only for your own safety but other road users.

There are plenty of good looking alloys with correct fitment for the Zed.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How about a pic of the rear stretch
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Strangely the rear doesn't look that stretched?!??!!

And Titan Tim: its called "stance". Regardless of your comment, it is purely down to personal opinion.

In my eyes, I'm not a fan of most modification although I particurly like this (hope that's not a problem).

Also...good job it is strictly a show car and covers 1000 miles a year eh??

Dallan |07712 415 619

baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

I think it looks great, well done.
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

As Ive mentioned to you Dallan already, there are different sides to z owners. Its the same for S2000 owners, my stanced and slammed S2k was disliked by some owners but loved by many others and mainly by owners of a different car.

I am probably one of the youngest (at 23) on this forum as an active owning member, Id say the average member here is possibly 40+? (Don't fire me down if I am so wrong). Its the same opinion as my Dad has, they don't get why they would do it but at the moment abit like in the 90s for body kit max power style, at the moment is very euro and stance which I love and clearly so do you.

Ive got 9.5js with 225s and 8.5js with 205s. I skid the car, I drive hard in it, its the 3.0 not the 2.2 so its a faster car, I fully understand the stresses and pressures on the tyres and tyre walls. If you think 225 on a 9.5j is stretch, go have a look on the dub forums stetching 155s on 8js or something like that. :nerd:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I often wonder if any of these complex wheels have been tested to satisfy the German TuV etc. If not - as I suspect - I would not like to drive hard on them. I have managed to crack steel wheels before, but for something such as this, probably cast in some Chinese peasant's back yard, the fatigue life is probably quite short.

Still - who cares about such niceties - fashion rules over function these days . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ha...quite probably a poor manufacturing design. Only will be driven on these approx 200 miles a year in comparison to the other 800 miles on standard wheels!! Aha :P

Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Oh well I have Schmidt Space Liners so im alrigh :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It’s probably an age thing but I don’t understand what all these 40-year old youngsters are talking about with terms like “dub”, “stretched & slammed”. Reminds me of when my youngest son followed the latest fashion at the BMX park by taking the brakes off his BMX bike! Anyway, must put on my comfy M&S cardigan and tartan slippers, listen to the Archers and have a morning nap.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Del wrote:It’s probably an age thing but I don’t understand what all these 40-year old youngsters are talking about with terms like “dub”, “stretched & slammed”. Reminds me of when my youngest son followed the latest fashion at the BMX park by taking the brakes off his BMX bike! Anyway, must put on my comfy M&S cardigan and tartan slippers, listen to the Archers and have a morning nap.
This is by far the best post I have seen on this forum!! Hahahaha

Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

it looks nice ........... I even have a small stretch on my rears ( for my 1.9 ) but they are on the 3.0 now ......and im in the 40+ mid life crisis team ....... :lol: its nice to see the cars done differently buy the young ones :evil: ........(insurance must be a killer ) ...... kids today ehhhhhhhh :shock: :wink:
JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Insurance is a bit of a crapper :)

This is what I'm into, for those not getting it, this was my old s2000 that was in Fast Car mag last summer with a 5 spread feature:

I miss that car :(.

My z3 on 9.5js and 8.5s with low offset and some stretch.

:). Its all fun! As said, mines the 3.0 and I use it correctly :)
Last edited by JamesRowe on Thu 13 Sep, 2012 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

I pay £350 a year :) and I'm 25.
My mini I pay £300 a year.

Dallan |07712 415 619

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I often wonder how these 'stance' cars manage to get over some of the more rabid speed humps etc which are spreading over the UK these days. Are they taken to shows on trailers? I remember a Golf GTI rolling road day, when some of the sorry efforts of the 'Slammed tothe floor' brigade could not even manage to get over the rollers!

That yellow S2000 looked very pretty, but the average speed hump would probably take the spoiler off, and the body sills too.

On my occasional visits to the UK I understand why people buy 4X4 'softroaders' . . .
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I quite like it but wouldn't drive it everyday, it would be to impractical. Nice to have as a show car though, I like the look of zeds that have been slammed and stanced and them wheels really suit a zed :D

How would you go on with the MOT with the wheels poking that far out of the arches? Would it fail because of it or would you just fit different wheels for the MOT?

And watch out for the VOSA womble vans, they are impounding a lot of cars at the moment that have been lowered and have stretched tyres. Apparently they have the power to pull you over and impound the car :shock:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

G8jka: thanks for the advice. This is my show car as I currently have a mini cooper and a company car for day use :D :D

I also have a guy that "does MOT's" and just to be safe, I have a spare set of wheels anyways :)

Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

My Z has a full ledgit MOT in the exact form it is now, with the same wheels on. Not someone I knew before, a garage Id never visited in my life. Called up, booked an MOT.

It failed on ball joints, got that done and passed. Stretched tyres (amazing or not), ISNT illegal. The regulations are, aslong as the tyre tread is within the wheel arch its legal. So you can have the widest rim, the most stupid stretch in the world and the rim out 2" from the arch but aslong as the actual tyre tread is in the arch, its MOT legal.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

In France we don't see stretched tyres, as we have the tyre and wheel sizes listed in the registration document, which must be carried at all times - if the gendarmes see a car with different sizes from those listed, the car is towed away and impounded until it has been reverted to standard spec - all at the owners expense.

At least it keeps the lunatic fringe in check - they now tend to fit their old Peugots with big amplifiers which simulate the sound of a turbo dump valve opening, which may be pathetic, but not illegal!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As a fully paid up member of the old farts club I am genuinely intrigued at this “stretching” as I can’t see the obvious benefit of putting tyres on a rim for which the tyres are too small/narrow. I wonder if this is one of those scenarios that perhaps started in the urban areas of some US cities amongst young drivers, who wanted the wide rims but couldn’t afford the tyres & arch modifications, with the result that a whole “new look” emerged?

Conversely, I remember playing around with original mini coopers (s) years ago when the “flared wheel arch” was used to cover the wider wheels/spacers. This arch modification became a fashion item to such an extent that youngsters would incorporate the flared arches on their minis but without the wider wheels/tyres/spacers!

What goes round comes round.