Z3 3.0 or M?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
JamesRowe

blank

Z3 3.0 or M?

Post by JamesRowe »

OK, was thinking, is it worth the change?

I have the facelift z3 3.0, I kind of prefer the facelift but would prefer the power of the 3.2.

However, will there be a massive difference? Lets take into account the 3.2 has a heavier diff, the engine is much heavier then the 3.0s due to being completely different metrial for the block. So after taking into account the weight, would it be that noticeable?

ta :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Z3 3.0 or M?

Post by Gazza »

In everyday normal driving.........No

When you press the loud pedal..........Hell Yes !!
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

225 bhp versus either 321 or 325 bhp depending upon which ///M you get!

Or to put it another way, 170.5 bhp/tonne versus 225.3 bhp/tonne, so yes, you will notice the difference!

See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=35286 for more tech info (I'm still compiling this).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

In any case be aware of the rear subframe situation. I've looked on two M roadsters the last week in Sweden and on both the spot welds were gone. :bad

Per
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

To be fair this could happen on an abused 3.0 as well, so worth looking in any case.

I don't want to hear how much faster a Z3M would be. :D As I chose not to buy one as I thought an M badged car sat on my drive might be too tempting compared to an unbadged 3.0 (it's been mistaken for a 1.9 by non Z3 owners :shock: ). The 3.0 felt fast when I first got it, but you soon get used to it...
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

and the chassis is stiffer on the M :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

and the m should hold its value more.

The 'BEAST' 666
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Swamper and Badman (living up to your name there) stop rubbing it in. :D

Zedonist, I of course realise I have the most inferior model and my poor attempt at trying to disguise it as a more desirable model have obviously failed. :D

This is the fastest car I've ever owned as well...(sheltered life you see).
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

swamper wrote:and the chassis is stiffer on the M :wink:
I cannot work out if the wink is in gest or not, where/how is the chassis stiffer?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Zedonist wrote:There not stiffer, they just tear themselves apart with all that unchecked power, get a 1.9, you will not have to weld the boot up then!! :wink:
Not my in experience :shock:

boot welds
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You can't beat the rear end of an M 8-)
The M is a savage beast in sound and stance..
Don't forget a standard S50 produces around 305bhp where as an S54 is more likely 325bhp

Having had a 2.8 pushing 3.0 power the M is faster for sure but there's not that much in it in everyday use..

Insurance and fuel costs are higher too.. But in my opinion worth every penny :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Brian H wrote:
swamper wrote:and the chassis is stiffer on the M :wink:
I cannot work out if the wink is in gest or not, where/how is the chassis stiffer?
Like all Z3s, the M roadster’s suspension is made up of MacPherson struts in the front and semi-trailing arms in the rear. However, compared to the six-cylinder Z3 roadster, the M roadster included modifications such as wider front and rear tracks (by 0.4 inches), reduced ride height (by 1.1 inches), modified front suspension geometry, firmer springs and shocks, thicker anti-roll bars, stronger semi-trailing arms and a reinforced subframe.
When the M roadster switched to the S54 engine (2/01 production), the chassis was upgraded to the even stiffer springs and shocks developed for the M coupe.
:wink:

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

I had a similar dilemma. The way I saw it:

3.2 M is faster, looks more aggressive

3.0 is more economical, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to insure, feels safer to leave parked up at train stations etc but most importantly less than half the price!

I didn't consider depreciation. A 3.5 grand car hasn't got a lot more to depreciate, but an 8 grand one has. The percentages for the m will be lower but actual cash lost? Nothing in it I'd say.

Having said all this if I could afford an M I would have got one :D
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

my insurance just come in at £229 with all mods declared.
the maintenance is going to be a bit dearer with inspection 2 coming in about £400 but TBH the rest of the parts come in round about the same price as the 3.0.
parking her up......i agree...but i was just as careful with the 1.9 i had.
the price of them isnt that far away from the 3.0s if you hold out and know what your looking for....you could quite easily buy a 3.0 and then start putting your own styling on and then quickly be in the same money as an M.
as for depreciation ..well yep its going to go down in money....but that only matters if your planning on selling it....if your keeping it for ever then who cares.
the 3.0 is a fantastic bit of kit...i know iv chased them round the EVO.....and they are quick....but you need to try both first and make your mind up if its worth paying the extra for the M.....and more importantly are you going to use the extra that you get out of an M?

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

im a 3.0 virgin ( only had it 3 or 4 weeks) moved up from a 1.9 :shock: :shock: loving every smiles per mile of it 8-) would i have an M .dam right i would , but i would have to get one with TC.... i would play tig wit the trees if it didn't have it :roll:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

as you say PCSAM the TC is very handy if you have the S54....but the price of them is very hight with the rarity value.

the 1.9 is a great car...had one my self.....loved it :wink:

Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

I must say I didn't consider anything else but an S50 Z3M when I bought it 7 years and 70k miles ago, and have had nothing but great driving experiences in that time. It has lost about £1k per year in depreciation, which I consider to be a bargain, certainly compared to other cars I own, and have owned, and apart from the dreaded Vanos failure a couple of years ago it has been cheap to maintain and run, with an average of about 25mpg (about 7mpg on track days! :shock: )

I chose not to buy an S54 because I didn't want the traction control. The S50 has an LSD, which suits my driving style (as fast as conditions allow) perfectly - the rears only light up when I want them to - there is a huge amount of grip to play with, and I don't need nannying! :twisted:

I've seen a lot written about the differences between the S50 and S54, and the rarity value has certainly increased the value gap in the last few years, but my opinion hasn't changed - an S50 for me every time!

I've never driven any other Z3, so can't really compare, but although the M has enough power, I have never thought it had too much, and find it hard to believe less power is more fun. If the M was unbalanced I could perhaps understand comments about the purity of the 1.9, but with virtually 50/50 weight split I have never been concious of a large mass of engine up front, and for me it is as good as it gets - just enough 'edge' to keep me on my toes, but generally completely planted and predictable.

I intend to keep mine until it falls to bits, or I can no longer get in and out of it!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

JamesRowe wrote:OK, was thinking, is it worth the change?

I have the facelift z3 3.0, I kind of prefer the facelift but would prefer the power of the 3.2.

However, will there be a massive difference? Lets take into account the 3.2 has a heavier diff, the engine is much heavier then the 3.0s due to being completely different metrial for the block. So after taking into account the weight, would it be that noticeable?

ta :)
In relation to the original questions..

Is it worth the change? YES :D
Would there be a noticeable differents? OH YES...!
The power delivery is totally different.. And brutal :twisted:

If its affordable then go for it.. But and a BIG BUT, find a good one..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Would i swap my 3.0 for an M the answer is a straight no. The 3.0 can keep up with and sometimes out run Porsches and makes it very hard for the Ms around the Evo. I can not justify spending that sort of money when all i am going to get is an extra .5 if that, per second 0 to 60.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

JamesRowe wrote:OK, was thinking, is it worth the change?

The 3.0 is a terrific Zed. Oodles of power, not much slower than an ///M and cheaper to maintain. As a compromise it's win-win all the way.

But if you want the power if the ///M - get one. Scratch that itch. Good luck
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)