Roof leak question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Roof leak question

Post by TAV »

Ok, so I have a drip on the passenger side pillar by the latch and through research found it was the plug seal, coming unstuck (see pic I found on web). I poured a little water in the hole/groove, and sure enough I saw it appear, running quite freely through the seal.

My question is, to anyone who has delt with this problem, what type of glue sealer should I use?

Want to get it done asap so I'm not greated with another small swimming pool in the footwell. (had to soak it up with a sponge, then leave dryer on it for an hour or so).

Thanks in advance

Z3 1.9 Facelift / Atlanta Blue

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Roof leak question

Post by Southernboy »

3rd time since yesterday !! The somewhat circular area on the inside where the soft top makes contact with the windscreen pillar needs a patch of rubber cut to suit and glued to that windscreen area. I went to the local tyre shop and scrounged a piece of inner tube. I cut out a matching shape, and after slightly roughening the patch and the windscreen rubber surface, I used bicycle puncture repair glue to attach the rubber patch. It procides a decent seal now between the soft top and the windscreen frame, and has also sealed that plug. The leak is because of a gap between the soft top and that area. If you close the roof and latch it, have a look to see if you can see any light between the two. If you sit inside the car it is more easily detected with a light outside the car. That plug should not be an issue if the two surfaces are mating tightly, but while you're applying the rubber patch, you can also use some bicycle glue to seal that up if you choose.
Obviously once the patch has bonded, trim the edge to match the windscreen pillar edge with a sharp trimming blade, wipe off any excess glue etc etc... Job done.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

PS. The rubber patch you make must cover over that central plug all the way to the edge... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Thanks for reply.

I can't see any gap, no light coming through. before trying your method (which makes perfect sense btw), I will tighten the clasp and glue the plugs broken seal and see if that stops it first.

I have a decent water proof cover that goes over just the roof. Last night at 4am, I was woken up by the sound of heavy rain on my window, so I quickly got dressed and went out and put it on the car. Too late, footwell was a pond :lol:

Still don't know what type of glue to use? (don't think the tyre repair stuff would work in that situation).

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Look at the plug..If the water is coming in there, there has to be a gap between the roof and the windscreen frame.. Also, a decent contact glue will work, or remove the plug, squirt a little silicone in the hole and shove the plug back in...In any event, the water is getting between the two surfaces.
Also, tightening the latches will only put strain on them, and will not fix the problem....Others have tried that route already, without success..
"Normal is overrated"

TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Yes, its definatley coming in through the plug seal. If I pour a little water in the drain hole behind it, I can see it suddenly appearing on the edge of the plug.

I think I will take it out and try some silicone. If it still leaks, I will try the rubber cover you suggested. Will do it tomorrow as clouds are looking nasty atm. Better pop the cover on.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good luck mate..tell us how you get on.
"Normal is overrated"

Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Easily fixed with silicone sealant - I used Glanville Silicone Sealant from Halfords. Did passenger side over 2.5 years ago and no problem since - drivers side just done. I didn't need to take plug out - just dried it out with hot air blower and squeezed silcone in all the way around the plug using fine nozzle. Problem is just with age - plug is compressed from above by hood top and from below by the window edge - something has to give eventually. Take care not to block the weep hole at the end of the drainage channel.
kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kamagloire »

my roof leaks something rotten. worse on the drivers side and blows straight into my face at 80km.
I've only just bought my z3 after thinking about the enjoyment of my TR7 V8 from 10 years ago.
the z3 has a very similar gearbox feel to my beloved triumph but is clearly a better, more reliable car.

the leaky roof is the only olde english car feel the z3 offers, so I just live with it. mind you, now I'm in sunnier australia, living with it is a bit more viable. as my mg loving brother says, "that character people speak of in their classic cars is all the things that go wrong with it" wet carpet is a problem, the rest is just water :)
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

I put up with my roof leaking for ages, cleaned the drain holes, glued the triangular plugs, adjusted the hood latches, reset the seals and played with the shims - after 18 months all i needed to do was to adjust the 2 glass run bolts under the bottom of the door to allow the glass to sit a little closer to the roof and all sorted!!! wish i had found this earlier!!!!!
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Stormsure Wetsuit Repair Glue in Black ........................... Perfect ...... :D
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kamagloire »

have to take my earlier comment back as I was being unfair on the car.
turns out I wasn't putting the hood up properly and now it's all snug and about 98% bone dry - more like 45% before, so you can tell how much it's improved my driving experience. brilliant!
JJG

blank

Post by JJG »

Just out of interest what was it that you were not doing properly when closing the roof ?