Hi All,

Bored today so smurfed the interweb and found the following "bargain" Z4

2009 BMW Z4 23i SDrive 2dr Auto Roadster 2.5
2009 (09 reg), Convertible £5,050
Private Seller
• 15,000 miles
• Automatic
• 2.5L
• Petrol Fabulous folding hardtop Z4 in best colour combination with lots of additional extras.Automatic,paddle gearshift. Deep Sea Blue with Ivory White … More details

I decided to email the seller asking a few questions such as when the MOT will be due, service history etc and got the following reply:

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy 2009 BMW Z4 S DRIVE23 I AUTO!
Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Portimao, Portugal (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in your name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days.Final price is GBP 5,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in Portugal is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Portugal.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.
I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a well known company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.

Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.

Thank you!

I then went onto Autotrader to have another look and the ad had been pulled; so hopefully it's not "sold" and no one will have been ripped off for £5k
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z4 ad on Autotrader - now pulled by seller

Post by TitanTim »

If someone did fall for it, they would have to be as daft as the seller!!

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Fenlander

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Fenlander »

I agree, the bit that is rather odd in the reply is :

).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in Portugal is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Portugal.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.

If that didn't make someone thinks thrice I don't know what would! £5k is way way below the prices they go for at the moment.

Let's hope they haven't managed to rob anyone however daft they are
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Sounds like the share investment boiler room scams. The buyer has to arrange for their monies to be electronically transferred somewhere like Estonia only to get a useless certificate and in this case a set of car keys as well. Presumably you wait at least 10 days before getting suspicious about the non-delivery of the car by which time the monies have been transfered around the World several times and disappeared.

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

These are pretty common adverts and we have had some "fun" with some over the years
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Perhaps you could scotch 'em with C.O.D. and see what happens :lol:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Or "I fancy a holiday. I could fly out, spend some days in the sun, collect the car and drive back."
Pingu