so what to do ?????

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Tez

blank

so what to do ?????

Post by Tez »

So after 3 weeks of trying to find out what the rattle is with my Z3 i finally got the answer i thought it was and its not good.

Three different mech's have had a look at it today and all agree its Big end Shell bearings, total cost of repair £1800 + parts = £2200 appx. :( :( :(

So now i have to decide what to do, for sure i'm not going to spend that sort of cash on it, just not worth it for a 1.9 1999 model, so i can either sell it as it is, the problem might not be whats been said but something smaller ????? i dont know, or i can break it down for spares.

The car apart from that is really good nick, brand new stainless exhaust fitted 2 moths ago, new rad and battery a month ago, new roof 2 years ago, the interior is fantastic condition, the seat are also very good, even the drivers ! its a shame to break it because someone with some time could make this a nice motor again.

If i sell out right what can i get for it ???? it has loads of M stuff on it and has on-board computer, parriot full hands free bluetooth and top of the range JVC cd/radio head unit fitted.

So people what do i do ?????
PCSAM

blank

Re: so what to do ?????

Post by PCSAM »

would it not be cheaper to pick up a 1.9 engine for it ..... I have seen them go cheap ......
you could go down the strip it for parts .... you would probably get more cash on stripping it then get another zed ....... they are so cheap at the moment . I sold my 1.9 (upgraded to a 3.0i) for a lot less than I wanted for it :cry:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

How about sourcing a replacement engine? Not sure if you have a m44 or m43 engine but circa £350 + fitting maybe an option?
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Sorry to hear about your Zed - likewise, I'd say new engine is your best option unless you fancy having a part dismantled car on your drive for the next 12 months :head:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

I suggest you upload photo's,the area you're located and a price you have in mind.Plenty of people on this forum capable of repairing this themselves.Sorry you've been so unlucky after investing in your car.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Did they check the oil pressure? This is about the only way to be sure of a bottom-end problem.

Unless the engine has been run with no oil, about the only way this can happen is if the small 'O' ring inside the filter has been damaged - has it been replaced when the filter is changed?

Get the oil pressure checked before doing anything major. It shoud be 2-4 bar on a hot engine at idle, rising to 4-6 bar at higher speeds.

It isw also possible that the noise is caused by the oil pressure relief valve spring having weakened, allowing the valve to open rapidly, and then close.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Tez

blank

Post by Tez »

Oil change was done a short while ago and i have checked it on a regular basis and it dont seem low, regarding the seal i have no idea ??? if it was changed, i have thought about getting a used engine, however there around £400 and then another £300-£400 to fit that makes around £800 and you dont know if its any good until its in, i also have to take that into account, to be honest if i got £1500 i would take it and bit the bullet as they say, i am sure someone out there could get it back as it was cheap, if your a mech that is LOL !
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

M44 engine available for £.300.00 from the 1.9 which Alexanders got in last week for breaking..I believe it has a similar lieage - aprox 50k...Might be just what you're looking for..and flog your old motor for afew £££'s to offset the cost..??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Cash-loss wise surely taking a hit on an engine is the way forward - if you want rid for 1500 then ebay it 'buy it now' / best offer and it should fly off the shelf if the rest of car is mint and the advert is good.
Last edited by chrisp_1 on Sat 17 Nov, 2012 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

An engine swap is a lot easier than most people think - you could probably do it yourself with a friend (or a local forum member). If you were local to me, I'd help.

And, although I don't know any details about the car, my instinct says you may get a grand for it as-is, if you're lucky. There are too many cheap Z3 out there that don't need an engine swap/rebuild.
Tez

blank

Post by Tez »

Its gotta go, the Mrs has had her word !

Now posted in the for sale section :(
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

geminimustang wrote:I suggest you upload photo's,the area you're located and a price you have in mind.Plenty of people on this forum capable of repairing this themselves.Sorry you've been so unlucky after investing in your car.
The journals on the crank shaft may not be as bad as you think, It would be quite cheap to buy a new set of shells to put in, if you did the work yourself! Probably about £60 for OEM Shells, but you should definitely look at the oil pump to check that it is working okay, before buying any shells.
The Zed willbe worth more without the rattle, and it might persuade the Mrs to keep it. :)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

An engine swap will take a day to complete. It's certainly a good option, and will save £££'s in time and effort. If you open up the motor, you will likely find the problem, but you'll also find that since you've opened it, you may as well do this and that and that etc etc etc...which ultimately becomes really expensive.
Anyhow, personally, I would do a straight swap.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

There's a few engines on EBay - some with 3 months warranty (which is all you equally need to make sure it's ok) and one with 80,000 miles for £230. I would certainly consider that route. Having had most of the ancillaries off, a DIY swap with a handy mate looks very feasible.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

cry :bawl: :bawl: