On going cold start problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

On going cold start problem

Post by kp »

Hi there help needed Cold start problem over the last few winters . The car has been in a few times for diagnostics but they can't find nothing wrong with it.If you leave it over night it in the winter when is cold it doesn't like starting in the morning I have changed a few things on the car like battery alternator, starter motor,and air flow meter ..the car seems to start fine in the mornings if I start it before I go to bed it seems to reset something ..can anyone help thanks :head: :head:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: On going cold start problem

Post by Del »

I had a similar issue when I bought my car in June 2011 which got much worse as the colder weather came in the winter 2011/12. Like you it was only a problem on the first start of the day when the engine had been sat cold for a lengthy period.

I investigated a mass of possibilities and plugged it into diagnostics which only showed unspecified occasional misfiring on all 4 cylinders.

In the end I stumbled on the fact that my M44 1.9 engine seems to be a little sensitive to oil changes and the type (viscosity) of oil. The service light system, in my opinion, is not very good for cars that do say 5,000 miles pa as this could result in engine oil festering in the sump for 3 years. Added to this I suspect a lot of lower mileage Z3s have suffered from lots of short trips where the engine does not get fully warmed up. All this leads to the engines getting a bit “gummed up”. My problems were quite bad in cold weather with the car failing to fire up at all once or twice. I was also getting a bit of hydraulic tappet ticking where one or two were presumably a bit “sticky”.

Despite the previous owner assuring me he had changed the oil, I drained it whilst good and hot and replaced with Mobil 1 0W/40. Also made sure I changed the filter and renewed the important three rubber seals. The immediate difference was remarkable and the problem was 99% cured apart from the occasional slightly lumpy start. I have since done 2 quick succession changes using less costly 5W/40 fully synthetic oil (and new filters each time) and the problem has completely disappeared along with the hydraulic tappet ticking. Engine now bursts into life in all weathers and purrs quietly.

I have since heard other experts say that BMW engines are quality, bullet proof units that respond well to good, regular oil changes.
kp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: On going cold start problem

Post by kp »

Thanks very much I have the same engine ... I have taken your advise and just finished an oil change hopefully it might be ok in the morning