Well I Never.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Chiefy

blank

Well I Never.

Post by Chiefy »

I am gradually working through my 98 1.9 having bought a bit of a project. I run it once a week and as the weather has turned colder, although it starts straight away it more often than not runs quite rough for up to about 30 seconds. After that it runs fine and performs well. Having read several threads on here about changing the oil to a high quality 0/40 making a difference to this problem in some cases. So I did exactly that and I am gob smacked at the difference. After 40 years of motoring I was a bit sceptical but there you go - nice simple fix.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Well I Never.

Post by Del »

I was also gobsmaked myself when I cured this problem. I've never had any other car react so well to a good oil change. All I can speculate is that the M44 engine must have some fairly narrow oilways to supply lubrication to the 2 camshafts and 16 valves, and they must be prone to getting a little gummed up and restricted.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Hi Chiefy, What oil did you have in it before??!!! :-?
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:Hi Chiefy, What oil did you have in it before??!!! :-?

Crude..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

gookah wrote:

Crude..... :D
Chip fat :lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

To be honest I dont know - it was the oil that came with the car. Servicing by the previous owner has been a bit basic and altbough there is a bill for the last service the grade of oil and quality was not specifie. It looked reasonable when I drained itbut the new oil definitely did the trick - I thank those of you who pointed me in the right direction as I would never have thought of it. New oil is Valvoline fully synthetic 0/40. Always used Valvoline in my motorbikes and reckon its a damn good oil.