removing carpet behind seats

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

removing carpet behind seats

Post by martyb »

hey guy in the next im going to attempt to replace the rear shock top mounts to hopefully stop the annoying squeaking from behind my head.

I know the mounts are underneath the carpet behind the seats but being fairly inexperienced i need all the help i can get. Iv seen a guide how to replace the mount but it just skips the removal of the carpet and I am wonderring how to do it without damaging it. I noticed there are black circular studs do these get pried out first?

iv searched the topics although if theres any pics or info iv missed would be greatful for the help.
jont

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: removing carpet behind seats

Post by jont »

Hi
Yes you will need to peal back the carpet to get access to the top mounts, then undo the two nuts on each then jack the car up then remove the shocks.
It's quite a easy job.

regards Johnt
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

To remove the carpet, have a look along the edge just below the rear window. You will see 4 black plastic push-in plug holders. Use a strong fork to push under them, and then lever them out. Once you have done that, the rest is a matter of peeling / pulling the carpet out.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Thanks very much.

Ohh n I confirmed it was the mounts earlier after bouncing the car hearing the squeak I then held the mount down and got the auld man to bounce it and noise had cleared up.

Seen mounts on eBay im just about to order hope these will be suffice quality.