anyone got stuck in the snow?!!!!!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

anyone got stuck in the snow?!!!!!!!

Post by pedro20001 »

wow, what an adventure driving back from derby to tamworth last night in the snow! 35mph max and then couldn't get up the drive. I guess 245's are good in the dry but not so good in the snow! had great fun sliding around but then got stuck :oops: has anyone else had fun in the snow?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: anyone got stuck in the snow?!!!!!!!

Post by g8jka »

Nope, zed has been tucked up in the garage all week. If it came out I wouldn't be able to get it up the drive in the snow anyway :shock: and even if I cleared it then I wouldn't be able to get up the slope to get out of the estate :head:

And it's got no lower dash or console in with wires hanging everywhere at the moment so it wouldn't be going too far even without snow :(

Although it took me 5 attempts to get out of my mates street last night in my mums mini :oops:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What snow? There was a light dusting last night, but not enough to close the airport, and only a mild inconvenience to scrape off my colleague's car, and most of that had gone by the time I went out today, so the zed hasn't seen any. We had more in Belgium last week. And as for cold, it's positively tropical here compared to the -18C we had in Santa Fe the week before! You'd think we'd had a Siberian winter, not a few flakes of white stuff, the way we deal with it! I remember one trip back from Croydon a couple of winters back - we left the office at 4pm, it was 8pm by the time with got onto the M25, and 1am when we checked into a hotel for the night, having got as far as Banbury - we completed the journey in a matter of hours the following day - all because the local authorities had failed to grit the A-roads leaving the motorway - the motorways themselves were clear but for 2 miles of standing traffic at every junction. :head:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

A lot of blame must lie with car manufacturers who insist on fitting tyres which are designed for illegal speeds but are absolutely hopeless on the slightest amount of snow.
I use winter tyres for around five months of the year and they have tremendous grip but surely new cars could be fitted with tyres which are usable on an inch of snow.

Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

You have to ask the question, is the zed a winter car?

Answer no!

The 'BEAST' 666
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

S50 on winter tyres - a 4x4 Z3 (well, nearly!).

The best fun you can have with your clothes on! :twisted:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Kim drives ours on a daily basis and so far for the last 3 winters she has never got stuck and only takes around 45 mins longer, she is always telling me she wouldnt have a 4x4 as she sees more of them stuck than any other motor. Its around 9 miles to her work. Last winter i was closer than her to home thick snow and i got in an hour after her as the Astra i have is absolutely crap in the snow.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Badman gee wrote:You have to ask the question, is the zed a winter car?

Answer no!
My wife drives hers every day, whatever the weather. In my opinion its not the car, its the drivers who cant cope with a tiny bit of snow. Any car is fine, you need to adjust to the conditions.

is the Z a winter car, Yep.

Mick.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Exactly - the average Brit thinks that he should be able to drive like a looney regardless of the conditions, any problems NEVER being his fault! Thery expect the local authority to cover every road in salt and grit, and never think about improving their technique, or fitting suitable tyres.

I always remember the winter of 1984, when I emerged from a ship's engine room to find Devonport Dockyard deserted - with two inches of snow the largest naval base in western Europe had surrendered, and sent everyone home.

With total chaos at the gates, I left things for an hour, then ventured out, picked up my wife and (eventually!) daughter, then drove home to the edge of Dartmoor in our Golf GTI, without spinning a wheel more than half a turn all the way, passing many people who thought that the answer was to burn holes in the snow with wheelspin.

I have since driven the Z3 on snow-covered mountain passes, and found that it responds to tyres and technique in the same manner as any other car.

The problems found in snow-covered roads are caused by the people with little idea and worn or unsuitable tyres.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

We had about 15cms on Friday and left the Zed at home and walked to work, best place for it to be honest. Glad I did as well as walking back home after work the town was gridlocked. Fitting suitable tyres and adjusting your technique is all well and good but useless if all the roads are blocked with sliding vehicles. My biggest worry is not getting stuck but being smacked into and with the Zed worth peanuts now it will easily be written off. More heavy snow forecast for us today but will be using the Zed tomorrow. Will be interested to see how the all season tyres hold out :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

The M used to be a complete nightmare on Falken 452s in the snow and ice - no matter how careful or skilful, it either went absolutely nowhere or headed for the nearest hedge! I don't know if traction control would have made a difference, but certainly without it in these conditions there was no effective way of getting the car to drive sensibly.

Then 3 years ago I changed to winter tyres for 3 months of the year, and the car was transformed - I now go out looking for the icy hills and snowy lanes. Looking at the tread pattern it is difficult to understand how they can transform the grip, but traction, handling and most importantly braking are improved beyond recognition. I can't recommend them highly enough. They need to come off again for the other 9 months as they are not so effective when it gets warmer.

The 452s have been great, but I've ordered a set of 453s for the change back in March - has anyone tried these yet?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Im running winters on my 3.0i and its not been a problem , and cannily no snow for me :shock: the mountains just a few miles away are nice and white . but they keep snow on top for most of the year :D last winter with my 1.9 i found the grip (as I do with the 3.0i) fantastic on winters , I lived in Germany for 10 years and by law you have to change to winters . and the country goes on as normal during its more harsh winters .... the UK is a joke now...
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Badman gee wrote:You have to ask the question, is the zed a winter car?

Answer no!

Most definitely YES!

Some of us have little choice.

Drove to and from Chester on Friday for work and experienced no problems whatsoever.

Haven't washed the car in over two weeks and 1,460 miles. It is absolutely "minging" :wink:

Regards

Peter
zibomb

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by zibomb »

It is a winter car. Ive managed to drive around Oxfordshire even through untouched snow so having to plough at the same time and its been fine. The big difference is having winter tyres, ive got conti winter contacts. The car feels alot more controllable then the all weathers I ran last year.
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Its my only car so have to use it everyday. Not got stuck yet though and im on summer tyres. Worst part is getting the key in a frozen lock. Have to pour warm water on it then its good to go. I really need to get central locking installed!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

On the topic of frozen locks, my original dealer spec. list has an item that says:-

S314A FRONTSCHEIBENWASCHDUESEN BEHEIZT Described in English as:- "Door mirror, driver lock, heated"

It's only a fairly ordinary S reg 1.9 and I wasn't aware that the lock was actually heated. Did BMW fit some sort of heated lock system to Z3s?
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

surely it would only be heated when the ignition is on like the mirrors are? in which case it's no good to me because I will of already got into the car by then
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

It's a winter car for people with one car,

If not its a summer, occasional use car.

For me having it as a weekend, occasional use car adds more excitement to the drive.

Using it every day would take away the passion of owning it.
Plus you will never keep a daily drive in pristine condition.

Not without throwing money at it now and again.

The 'BEAST' 666
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Lets just get a grip ( excuse the pun ) it will all be gone by the end of week!
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Heaven forbid, I would never force Zelda to go out in the rain, let alone snow! All that mucky salty gritty water being spashed up her nether regions would give her a nasty rash. No, she is a dry weather lady and loves me to slip into her and take her top down, even in winter time if it's dry. I take my time, get her warmed up nicely and then she gives me such a thrill when she thrusts, squirms and slides. :shock:

We could never do that in the snow now could we!

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

dont like taking my girl out in the rain let alone that white stuff :P
Bazza
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

It's a car for Gawd's sake!

They don't melt or shrink (although they may rust) :wink:

You park them up and leave them, things start going wrong.

Regards

Peter
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Bonzo wrote:Heaven forbid, I would never force Zelda to go out in the rain, let alone snow! All that mucky salty gritty water being spashed up her nether regions would give her a nasty rash. No, she is a dry weather lady and loves me to slip into her and take her top down, even in winter time if it's dry. I take my time, get her warmed up nicely and then she gives me such a thrill when she thrusts, squirms and slides. :shock:

We could never do that in the snow now could we!

Bonzo.
ooo er Missus - I miss Spokey ;)
Pingu
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Puts a whole new light on snowDRIFTING 8-) Controling your rear end in adverse weather conditions is definitely an art!!

Almost 12 o'clock midnight and it has snowed solidly since 12 o'clock mid-day. Mora safe in the garage, but have the same probs getting up the drive with the Merc, so parked up on the verge about when it started, just in case!! otherwise no hope of Sandy getting to work, I'm OK, cos I've got the Landy! :)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

As I said earlier, they are for using.

A couple of photos from today

I admit that I can't wait to wash it though :)

Regards

Peter
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Just noticed that it looks as though my car was parked by Stevie Wonder :roll:

Regards

Peter
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Here's ours before I set off this morning. Took me half an Hour to desnow the cars. I don't know why I bothered though seeing the others driving about.

I didn't take the zed today, It is the one on the right.

Brian
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

wow, some good responses; my zed is my daily driver and has to do a 54 mile round trip 3 days a week. I am constantly amazed how some people drive in the snow with no regard to speed, braking or other road users. I must admit winter tyres seem appealing and the cost could be ofset against my insurance excess :) what tyres do people recommend? cheers all and happy driving, looks like the snow is going to stick around for a few days more
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Bonzo wrote:Heaven forbid,... No,...she,... loves me to slip into her and take her top down,.. I take my time, get her warmed up nicely and then she gives me such a thrill when she thrusts, squirms and slides. :shock:

Bonzo.
edited for my amusement, you should write '51 shades' buddy :D

BTW, it's been snowing at mine for most of the last week and looks set to continue for the next 2 days at least, never above 1C either.. I had the car on a flat road opposite the house when it started to come down and judging by the pantomine I had getting it onto the drive where it is now burried and stuck, anyone driving a Z3M in these conditions needs their head looking at. I've got Pirelli P-Zero's on fair enough but even if I could get it off the drive I'd only take it to the garage at the farm, I wouldn't put it onto the filthy, salty road outside for love nor money.

That's my 2p :roll:
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

I got stuck today, not in the z though. Would have hoped to take the z out for serious play time but it needs rear brakes amd as it's hiding under 6in of snow atm new brakes are not going on just yet.

That said I'm certainly in the 'cars there to be used' camp. It certainly will get used in all weather with some vigour when I get the brakes on!

Back to getting stuck, I had to dig myself out of my works car park today in my E220 coupe, those cars seriously suck in snow, I suspect the Z would be excellent in comparison. ;)