Wing Mirror - can it be fixed?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wing Mirror - can it be fixed?

Post by eyerisk »

Hi,

So bandaged wing mirror removed and carefully stripped, the internal casting has cracked and snapped so the bolt fix and washer will not work...!! I am looking for some advice to see if anyone thinks it can be aluminium welded or does anyone know of any other possible solutions??

I am going to tackle respray on the base myself but need to sort inner casing first.....any help advice would be really appreciated.

Pics below....

Bracket show crack point

Base

Casing

Thanks

Ian
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Wing Mirror - can it be fixed?

Post by BonBon »

Is not a problem if you are comfortable with a botch job.
I did it with "Magic steel" (two part putty) - I recall doing it to stop vibration of the rear view image
I stuck the inner part of the mirror casting to the spring.
Here's a pic
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Yes , It will weld...................had mine done when some nice person broke mine in Asda carpark! Looks horrible as its pretty nasty alloy but its held up for over a year, just wont take too much abuse as it won't pivot as it should.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

This guy already made a lot of Z3-owners happy:

http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

For those of you whose German is as bad as mine, here is a link to the page in English (translated by Google).

Looks like they produce replacement mirror inserts in plastic, with a small metal part for the hinge. Certainly looks like it could be worth investigating.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Quite a few of Dutch forum-members bought his products and are very satisfied with it.
woodsta888

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by woodsta888 »

Yes it can,

Try my fix. It's permanent and allows the movement of the mirror base still. The spring should be OK as the rust on it is from the collet, few whacks with a hammer should shake the rust off.

If you want to go further than myself you could drill out the centre of the bolt on a lathe to channel the wires correctly.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ix#p319059

Best

Woodsta
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

HBmw3 wrote:This guy already made a lot of Z3-owners happy:

http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html
This looks like a really good fix (even better translated), there has certainly been a lot of time/effort and money in to making this solution.
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Surely it would be easier and cost effective to buy a new or second hand one, by the look of that mirror housing it has seen better days. :wink:
woodsta888

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by woodsta888 »

Easier- yes but not cost effective. Second hand ones are quite expensive. A second hand one will still be 10+years old so you take a gamble in the condition of the innards lasting only a short time. Fix with Stainless steel and tidy up the base. Is much cheaper and will last longer.

Depends if you are practical or not as to whether you'll find it easy. Those who aren't spend the money. Saw some new ones on ebay a while bach at £157 each or £300 each from the dealer. You wont find many cheap second hand ones. Then you need it to be the right colour.

The base is a small area to paint so any blemishes don't stand out like on a panel. Seen some good DIY basement refurbs on here done with paint from a can.
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

Thanks for all of the responses....

1. The Putty Job I think is my best option at the moment
2. Might go for the plastic insert these look really good !!
2. The bolt option will not work as the internal casting has split from the base, thus the bolt would only hold the spring in position.....I did look at this originally
3. To buy primed version only £180 plus paint.....unless you are handy with a can, which I am not. To pricey for me
4. Plus I think my passenger one is in a similar position ready to go......so double it £400......I could have a new set of wheels.

I will take some pics whichever option I go for.........although my modified cubby box from Southern Boy currently winging its way from SA might take priority when it arrives. Aftermarket Hoops ready for the bin any time now !!

Cheers

Ian
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

So went with the putty fix, bit of dremmal action to smooth off the sides and drilled out the centre so the wires still go though. It no longer swivels but am pretty pleased with the outcome. I just need to spray the base which I am going to have a crack at.

Ian
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Master with the Dremel :lol:
Last edited by BonBon on Sun 07 Apr, 2013 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Great job :thumb:, hope it holds for you.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I need to refurb my aluminium window base but can't find the number of the gasket that sits between the mirror and the aluminium base. Anyone out there know it?

Ta
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I can confirm wing mirror still holding and had no probs whatsoever.

I still need to spray the base, but it's on my list to do.

Cheers

Ian
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

freds dad wrote:I need to refurb my aluminium window base but can't find the number of the gasket that sits between the mirror and the aluminium base. Anyone out there know it?
The only gasket I can see is part #4 below and it goes between the base and the door - for a RHD Z3, 51.16.7.001.039 (left) and 51.16.7.001.040 (right) - click the pic for more details:

Outside mirror - BMW parts catalog

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Thanks Robert. I did come across this but wasn't sure if it was the gasket where the mirror sits on the car or between the mirror and base unit.
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I know what you mean, I am taking mine to bits tonight re prep for the spray job so will take a pic and post it in the thread, I am pretty sure it will show the pt number you need.

Cheers

Ian
jimmy501

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jimmy501 »

eyerisk wrote:So went with the putty fix, bit of dremmal action to smooth off the sides and drilled out the centre so the wires still go though. It no longer swivels but am pretty pleased with the outcome. I just need to spray the base which I am going to have a crack at.

Ian
Ian,

what putty did you use and where did you get it from in the UK?

Thanks
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Either will do it - I used the latter
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

Ive just ordered the bit from germany from the guy who has made the mirror insert in plastic.

The base, insert and new bolt and spring came to £111quid which is reasonable and you know it is new and not off a secod hand car which possible will encounter the same issues that caused mine to break.

I will let you know what it is like once I have it.

You never know it might reduce the inflated secind hand prices a bit if there is a reasonable new alternative.

Craig
nellee

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nellee »

Hi from a brand new member, I've just found this thread and wondered how many people have used the German spiegel solution and are the products any good, I've just spoken to them and thy said the solutions are for left hand drive cars and the angles may be a bit off, any info would b appreciated as I need to fix my passenger side one as its wobbly
Thanks
Paul