New mot rules

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New mot rules

Post by **Z3** »

I've read a few news stories recently reference the change to MOT standards.

Has anyone else heard about these changes and what they are?

For example I've read that a failure will be if your air bag is past it's expiry date? How long do air bags last on z3?

Also that any warning lights on the dash will be a failure?

Anyone able to clear this matter up?
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: New mot rules

Post by Boysie »

I heard there were changes happening as of this april?
All i heard was, some advisories are now failures :head:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I have not heard of any real changes coming in from April, but anything is possible. What will now result in failure (from 20 March 2013) are the various items which were added last year, and which have so far resulted in advisories - these are now reasons for failure, and include warning lamp operation for main beam, brakes, steering, and stability control.

An obviously defective, missing, or deployed airbag , seat belt, or tensioner - or an SRS warning lamp showing - has been a fail since January 2012, as have any similar problems with ABS or Electronic Stability Systems. It does not state if this also applies to Traction Control systems, which could be argued as being stability control systems.

It is all spelt out on the MoT website - transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

There is no mention of airbag sell-by dates, so long as they are operative.

The regulations apparently also apply to vehicles which were fitted with airbags - and catalytic converters - before they became a mandatory fitting. This means that all those who ditched their catalytic converters in the quest for power, and airbags in favour of smaller steering wheels, will now be facing a failure. There will also be lots of whining from the Golf GTI owners who removed and smoothed over their side indicators in the name of fashion.

Although on the pre-facelift Z3 the passenger airbag was an optiional extra, this should not constitute a failure, but one never knows how the regulations will be interpreted. If it is operating the SRS warning lamp it could be removed or disconnected, and a suitable simulation resistor fitted. In such a case no-one would ever know, until you have an accident, when your insurer may reduce the pay-out for any injuries tothe passenger.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
yetibaines

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by yetibaines »

Mine's going in for its MOT in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know if anything pops up...
Yeti :)

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Having just had a looked through the very lengthy MOT testing manual and the “beefed up” bits I would agree with some of the points made by Mike above. Some highlights I spotted were a beefing up of the electrical and lighting checks generally including warning lights and the wiring system backing up the warning lights e.g. ABS & ESC. Suspension including “inappropriate modification” (whether this would include excessive lowering etc. I could not say) and checks on Cats where they should/would have been originally fitted.

Also the use of black & white number plates for cars registered after 1/1/1973 - have seen this on previous forum posts.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

My '98 1.9 passed today with no advisories. 8-) :lol:
It is un-modified apart from Cobra Sports exhaust. There was nothing I knew of which was of concern, but have felt that way in the past and have ended up with a few massive bills.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The 'Inappropriate modification' clause may refer to modifications by headbangers, such excessive negative camber, rim width, spacers, or lowering until the tyres touch the edges of the wheel arches. It does, however, open the door to a later tightening of the definitiion to also include non-original wheel and tyre sizes.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!