My Z3 search

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

My Z3 search

Post by Russ1959 »

Not been on zroadster.net for a while, well since I sold my Z4 18 month ago but now I'm back because i'm looking for a Z3, thats if I can sell my Chrysler Crossfire. I have it advertised on Pistonheads.
I'm after a 2.8 or 3.0. My old Z4 was a 3.0 so I know how good the engine is but what I would like to know is, is there much difference with the rest of the car as regarding maintenance?
Are the springs prone to breaking like on the Z4 and roof motors prone to rusting and seizing?
I also thought they were all electric roof's but i saw a video of a Z3 with a manual roof.
The only thing I dislike is the plastic rear window which I would have to live with.
Is there anything else I need to look out for?

I'll keep you informed on my search.

Russ
2005 Toledo blue Z4 Roadster
barbancourt

Not specified

Re: My Z3 search

Post by barbancourt »

Good luck with your search, mate (I'm saying "mate" because we are on a UK site even though I'm a yankee :D)

My Zed has a manual roof, FYI. Yeah it's slightly more effort, but it's also faster to operate.
ImageImageImage
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The Z3 roof is hydraulically operated - tell us more about that of the Z4 rusting etc!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I think the roof pump problems on the Z4 were with the earlier models whereby water leaks could see it getting submerged and rusting etc.

I have a manual roof on the Z3 so less to go wrong although they seem pretty reliable.

There isn't that much that goes wrong on the Z3 but as your looking at cars over 10 years old i.e. getting on a bit then potentially all sorts depending on how well or not its been looked after :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The Z3 roof is hydraulically operated - tell us more about that of the Z4 rusting etc!

As TitanTim said the pump can get submerged in water if the rear drain holes aren't kept clear.
The pump is on the left side of the car and the drain hole on that side is a mare to get at to keep clear.
Also they don't give you any notice of packing up, they just give in.

Russ
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Russ1959 wrote:As TitanTim said the pump can get submerged in water if the rear drain holes aren't kept clear.
The pump is on the left side of the car and the drain hole on that side is a mare to get at to keep clear.
I take it you mean the Z4 here, as you'd need to have a boot completely full of water in order to submerge the Z3 pump - it positioned above the left rear wheel arch. The 'leccy roof was a £500 option on certain Z3 models, and I think standard on others. They are pretty reliable and it seems to be wiring faults that cause problems rather than the pumps, with a relatively rare hydraulic and mechanical problem thrown in.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The Z3 roof is hydraulically operated - tell us more about that of the Z4 rusting etc!

Robert T wrote:
Russ1959 wrote:As TitanTim said the pump can get submerged in water if the rear drain holes aren't kept clear.

I take it you mean the Z4 here, as you'd need to have a boot completely full of water in order to submerge the Z3 pump - it positioned above the left rear wheel arch. The 'leccy roof was a £500 option on certain Z3 models, and I think standard on others. They are pretty reliable and it seems to be wiring faults that cause problems rather than the pumps, with a relatively rare hydraulic and mechanical problem thrown in.

Cheers R.
Yeah as above was refering to the Z4 :)

I take it that the Z3 doesn't suffer from roof failures like the Z4 then?

Russ
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Russ1959 wrote:I take it that the Z3 doesn't suffer from roof failures like the Z4 then?
The majority of roof problems on the Z3 seem to relate to the roof microswitch, wiring leading to the microswitch or brake pedal switch (which also serves the brake lights). These are pretty cheap to repair if you do have such a problem. We have had one case of an hydraulic fluid leak and two cases of the top of the hydraulic ram shearing off that I can recall. The Z3 roof is very simple in operation, as it is not fully automatic, requiring you to undo the handles and raise the front portion slightly before the motor can be used to lower it - as such it is very reliable. The manual roof has a gas strut in place of the hydraulic ram.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc