Cobra doesn't fit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Cobra doesn't fit

Post by geminimustang »

Finally had the Cobra fitted.
1). Sits too low and can't be raised as the exhaust hits the chassis but doesn't bang or rattle when driving so that's good.
2). As the eBay seller showed the exhaust on his car sitting nicely in the cut-out of the bumper,i guess he has one of the deep bumpers that a couple of guys have tried to sell on here recently.
It's a real pity cos it sounds great if a little loud.Can't live with it as it looks awful so it's got to be replaced when the pennies allow.
Anybody who has a use for it,give me pm. :head:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Cobra doesn't fit

Post by Brian H »

Your right that does not look good, I would email the seller and try and get your money back as this is not fit for purpose, the bumpers you mentioned are no deeper they are just profiled differently.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Bought twelve months ago,far too long to return.The seller provided enough photos to sink a ship so i had no reason to doubt he was selling in good faith,i.e.he took it off because it's loud. Trust me,it's loud,a roar that i actually really like but it's early days.Maybe in a day or two,i'll hate the sound but at present,i just hate the look.Garage offered to mod for £100 but it really needs a zedder with a welding kit who is maybe making some kind of track car,fun car,low exhaust car.I'll replace it soon enough.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The usual Ebay problem . . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Is it my imagination or does it look deeper at the top than the bottom, if so cant it be turned round.
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The rear silencer probably needs to be a flatter, oval shape. If the rest of the section fits fine i.e. the flange with the front section and the middle hanger – you may be able to economically amend things by just buying a generic stainless rear silencer. For the two “hanger bars” required for the rear silencer there are ones that can be strapped on, as welding facilities are not always available to DIYers. I had a Longlife system fitted last year on my 1.9 (M44) and I’m happy to measure the dimensions of the rear silencer if you require – you would then have an idea what to search for.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

No,it can't be turned around due to the pipework welded on the other end of the box.Mike is correct,usual eBay problem.To be fair to both myself & the seller,photographs were provided of this exhaust on a 1998 1.9 M44,ours is a 1997.On his,the exhaust sits perfectly.The seller provided me with a receipt from UK exhausts showing he paid nearly £300 for this exhaust.I checked the Cobra web-site and this is the exhaust for our car.It's unsightly,an unfortunate purchase which will be replaced.No great harm done but a lesson learn't.I'm more puzzled as to why it doesn't fit.Did something alter on the z3 1.9 between 1997 and 1998 regarding exhausts?
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Del wrote:The rear silencer probably needs to be a flatter, oval shape. If the rest of the section fits fine i.e. the flange with the front section and the middle hanger – you may be able to economically amend things by just buying a generic stainless rear silencer. For the two “hanger bars” required for the rear silencer there are ones that can be strapped on, as welding facilities are not always available to DIYers. I had a Longlife system fitted last year on my 1.9 (M44) and I’m happy to measure the dimensions of the rear silencer if you require – you would then have an idea what to search for.
Del,i think you're onto something with the back-box.The pipework from the flange to the back box requires a more severe bend and the hangers would then need to be shorter.Any photos,measurements of what you have would be appreciated.Maybe for little money,i could get ut of jail yet!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Emailed Cobra with photos and asked for their input.Will update.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

geminimustang wrote:To be fair to both myself & the seller,photographs were provided of this exhaust on a 1998 1.9 M44,ours is a 1997.
I am not aware of any changes to the pre-facelift 1.9 in that area between those dates, so if it was genuinely fitted to another M44 Z3, it should fit. Complete boot floor and the rear silencer are the same part numbers. Was the seller's a UK spec zed? Any chance we can see one of the pics?

What exactly is the box fouling on? Under that side of the car you only have a small well - the spare wheel and battery are on the other side of the car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

The pipe work touches the chassis where the OEM exhaust has a large flat to provide clearance.The Cobra has a small flat and actually touches the chassis but doesn't bang or rattle,it just firmly lies up against it.There is plenty of room for the back box to sit higher but the shape of the pipe work has it sitting too low.Without major cutting and rewelding,which the garage wanted a very fair and reasonable £100 for,I'm stuffed.I'll post pics of the donor car and maybe it's owned by a forum member who can shed some light.If I purchased from a forum member,please be clear,I accept it was sold in good faith and I'm not blaming anybody but myself and a dose of bad luck.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

And this was the donor car.I'm sure someone will tell me why this exhaust fits this car but not mine?? :head:
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

geminimustang wrote:The pipe work touches the chassis where the OEM exhaust has a large flat to provide clearance.The Cobra has a small flat and actually touches the chassis but doesn't bang or rattle,it just firmly lies up against it.There is plenty of room for the back box to sit higher but the shape of the pipe work has it sitting too low.Without major cutting and rewelding,which the garage wanted a very fair and reasonable £100 for,I'm stuffed.I'll post pics of the donor car and maybe it's owned by a forum member who can shed some light.If I purchased from a forum member,please be clear,I accept it was sold in good faith and I'm not blaming anybody but myself and a dose of bad luck.
Steve,
On the latest Cobra which I fitted, the connection to the cat is a rotating flange and the connection between mid and rear is a slotted insert which you can then twist before clamping to get the alignment. I recall yours were both flange connections but cannot remember if they were both rotating ( I have deleted the photos you sent me can you re-post). Do your hanger brackets sit properly because it is them and their rubber connectors that determine height. You may recall I changed the different length rubbers a few times.
Colin
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Hi Colin,flanges are welded and don't rotate.The pipework is hitting the chassis and won't go higher.The garage put the car back on the ramp and we got underneath.The pipework rests up against the chassis,can't go higher and the hangers look perfect but for some reason,the exhaust is too low.Hoping Cobra can throw some light.Thanks for all your help,appreciated.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Puzzling :puzzle:and challenging - would love to have a look at it - any chance of some photos of mid pipe arrangment.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Jonco wrote:Puzzling :puzzle:and challenging - would love to have a look at it - any chance of some photos of mid pipe arrangment.
Image Image

Colin,Cobra can't offer an answer without seeing the car.Here's a couple of photos showing the back-box connecting to the centre pipe.For me,it's the back-box that's all wrong.If i can sell it to someone who'd use it to modify themselves or maybe use it on a track car,i can move on and decide what to do.Simply,it can't stay on,sounds great but spoiling the look of a road car.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Kkrisss,hope this shows the issue?