Brake fluid change warning symbol

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Brake fluid change warning symbol

Post by alec.m »

Just booked an MOT for next week and now the clock symbol has come on notifying the brake fluid needs changing. Anyone know if this will fail MOT? Thanks
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Brake fluid change warning symbol

Post by TitanTim »

Don't see how it can unless braking is compromised.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I didn't know there was a brake fluid change warning facility - is it something only put on newer Z3s?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Del wrote:I didn't know there was a brake fluid change warning facility - is it something only put on newer Z3s?
Its a little clock symbol on the dash binnacle that lights up after 2 years, thats if it was reset after the last brake fluid change.

Tim.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks, fingers crossed.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The rules aren’t totally clear. Firstly they state that a “brake fluid warning lamp being illuminated or inoperative” will be a fail. However, the rules also say if a car shows a “warning message” instead of a “warning lamp” it will not fail. :roll:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Del wrote:The rules aren’t totally clear. Firstly they state that a “brake fluid warning lamp being illuminated or inoperative” will be a fail. However, the rules also say if a car shows a “warning message” instead of a “warning lamp” it will not fail. :roll:
I've forgot about the new rules...................oh it will fail then :lol:

Tim.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Del wrote:The rules aren’t totally clear. Firstly they state that a “brake fluid warning lamp being illuminated or inoperative” will be a fail. However, the rules also say if a car shows a “warning message” instead of a “warning lamp” it will not fail. :roll:
Agree - rules are not clear on this issue but you can make an enquiry through https://www.gov.uk/contact-vosa

The farce is that you can clear the service light with a simple shorting wire whatever the quality of the fluid in service.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Surely the warning lamp would be for fluid loss - this is just a reminder that it needs changing. Oh forgot there`s no logic in life these days.
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

If you get one of these you'll be able to reset the service indicator yourself - plus airbag fault kode:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Profi-Service-Ai ... 3f2506eb89

I have one and it works just fine 8-)
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I cannot see any reference to a brake fluid change interval indicator being a fail in the MOT handbook,

There is reference to brake fluid warning lamps,

Information:
A brake fluid warning lamp may be a combined lamp for other aspects, such as worn brake pads or parking brake applied

Method of inspection:
Check that the brake fluid warning lamp is not illuminated or defective.

Reason for rejection:
A brake fluid warning lamp is illuminated or inoperative..

This refers to the light that illuminates if the fluid level is low, (as per cars without time based indicators) not the reminder to do a brake fluid change, and is just the same as a 'service-overdue' indicator is not a fail..
Unless someone can point this out in the manual where it says otherwise.....

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd be astonished if the tester even saw the symbol, as it's not actually a proper warning light. Even if they did, and even if they knew what it meant, it can't be a fail because it's only a reminder, not a warning. It would be like failing a car because you'd put a post-it note on the dashboard to remind yourself to change the fluid when you got home.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'd be astonished if the tester even saw the symbol, as it's not actually a proper warning light. Even if they did, and even if they knew what it meant, it can't be a fail because it's only a reminder, not a warning. It would be like failing a car because you'd put a post-it note on the dashboard to remind yourself to change the fluid when you got home.
^^ Agree, All the other lights on the dash are amber light advisory, red light warning.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks everyone. Chances are they won`t notice or know what it means anyway. I`ll leave it, see what happens and report the outcome.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Mine passed MOT last week with it 'on'. I've got it booked in elsewhere to have an Insp II and brake fluid change. The issue is that a warning lamp will stay on when car is started, but the advisory service lamp indicating a time for a brake fluid change will not - it is not a warning light so should not be a fail.
I presume yours goes out when car is started?
Cheers
Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

That`s good news Andy. Yes mine goes when you start up so I`m in the same position as you. I have some other work that needs doing soon so shall have fluid done at the same time.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Mine passed last time with the clock symbol illuminated.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Passed with no problems. Took it to Halfords autocentre, they did a fair MOT and was half price so only paid £27.42 - Result. Thanks for all the contributors to this thread.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

alec.m wrote:Thanks everyone. Chances are they won`t notice or know what it means anyway. I`ll leave it, see what happens and report the outcome.

The symbol was on my car, for a while not knowing what it was until I was reading someone's post. More knowledge gained for this great site :cheers