Service advice....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Service advice....

Post by dallantan »

Can anyone please advise me re: my 2002 2.2i.....

Do I just need spark plugs, filter and oil change?

It's done 57k...
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Service advice....

Post by Southernboy »

Air filter, oil filter & oil, plugs, service light reset for a "basic" service, apart from the list of "check" items...Tyres / pressures, brakes, brake fluid, brake disc wear, power steering fluid, coolant & coolant hoses and their connections, handbrake adjustment, undercar stuff like steering linkages, hoses, fuel and brake lines, callipers, corrosion / rust etc etc....lightbulbs (some of them work, but are black inside the glass and don't give the light they should - especially brake and tail lights for some reason). Coolant hoses give no warning before popping...they just burst...so a regular check is essential...just sqeeze the hose along it's length and feel for any "soft" spots - especially close to connection points..any soft areas are likely to get you stuck on the side of the road with coolant spewing all over the engine and since it's generally hot at the time, you're stuck there until it's cooled down...It's a real B of a situation to be in...I know...it happened to me recently..and I ended up replacing all the coolant hoses with OEM new...The worst part of it is you won't notice anything until it's probably close to serious...if you're driving, you won't see any steam until you stop, and the temp guage won't respond to the overheating as quickly...once you stop, everything becomes apparent...the guage goes off the scale, steam starts escaping from under the hood..and the stench of coolant steam permeates the air and cockpit...finally your heart ends up somewhere under your foot, and you know you're deep in it....so, coolant hoses are V important....only check them while the engine is cool.. :shock:
Have fun doing the service... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Nice one.

How much oil do I need?
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...for a 6 Cyl you'll need around 8 - 9 litres...depending on how well you drain the old oil...
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Des it matter if I mix oils ever so slightly?
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

I have some castrol magnatec 5-30 but is says it for ford cars?

Can I use this?
Dallan |07712 415 619

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

You can mix oil.I usually use one brand of oil for the oil change and then use any brand,same viscosity, for top up between servicing.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:Air filter, oil filter & oil, plugs, service light reset for a "basic" service, apart from the list of "check" items...Tyres / pressures, brakes, brake fluid, brake disc wear, power steering fluid, coolant......handbrake adjustment, undercar stuff like steering linkages, hoses, fuel and brake lines, callipers, corrosion / rust etc etc....lightbulbs (some of them work, but are black inside the glass and don't give the light they should - especially brake and tail lights for some reason).

Apart from all the service items, did you mention checking the coolant hoses ?
Southernboy wrote:..... coolant & coolant hoses and their connections, Coolant hoses give no warning before popping...they just burst...so a regular check is essential...just sqeeze the hose along it's length and feel for any "soft" spots - especially close to connection points..any soft areas are likely to get you stuck on the side of the road with coolant spewing all over the engine and since it's generally hot at the time, you're stuck there until it's cooled down...It's a real B of a situation to be in...I know...it happened to me recently..and I ended up replacing all the coolant hoses with OEM new...The worst part of it is you won't notice anything until it's probably close to serious...if you're driving, you won't see any steam until you stop, and the temp guage won't respond to the overheating as quickly...once you stop, everything becomes apparent...the guage goes off the scale, steam starts escaping from under the hood..and the stench of coolant steam permeates the air and cockpit...finally your heart ends up somewhere under your foot, and you know you're deep in it....so, coolant hoses are V important....only check them while the engine is cool.. :shock:

Oh yes... almost missed it.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

So checking coolant hoses is quite important then :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...having a bit of a hose are we???? :roll:
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think it's always worthwhile checking the general condition of the car before a journey, especially if the car isn't in daily use.

Things like tyres.pressures, oil levels,water,washers etc
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Just to confirm.....

....7-8l of oil?
Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

:wink: 8 litres will do it..
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Southernboy wrote::wink: 8 litres will do it..

For real?!

It's only a 2.2....
Dallan |07712 415 619

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You'll need around 6.5l of engine oil. So get yourself 7 ;)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »