Auto box 'M' mode

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Auto box 'M' mode

Post by Alan W »

My 2.8 facelift has and auto box and next to the gear selector is a little 3 way switch which at default sits in Economy setting. Select Sport and its clear what thats for i.e holds the gearbox back from changing up and burns loads of fuel (but is lots of fun!). But what I can't fathom out is what the third 'M' mode is for? I was driving along the motorway in Sport and switched to M and it just changed up and felt like I was back in Economy mode... until I came of the slip and came up to a give way, then as I went to pull away it felt like the car was still stuck in top gear and wasnt very responsive. Maybe if someone can explain the purpose of 'M' and I will have a better understanding, but at the moment unless I am missing something it actually seems quite pointless :roll:
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Auto box 'M' mode

Post by Robert T »

At a guess, 'M' is for Manual and you have to change gear yourself. I seem to recall there is an up and a down like a sequential box in addition to the 1-4 manual gear select positions.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

To quote the :rtm:
M Manual program
For unusual driving conditions where it is desirable to remain in a specific gear. The car moves away in this gear and does not shift down when driver accelerates. In position D, only 3rd gear is used in this position.
S Sport Program
For enthusiastic driving.Upshifts take place laterand the cars full performance reserves are utilised.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I couldnt get on with my first automatic (which was a Z3.)

It would work fine in Day mode, but I couldnt get it to move at night.
Also when another one came alongside me at the lights I put it in Race mode...... and hit the car behind.. :puzzle: I sold it soon afterwards.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

gookah wrote:I couldnt get on with my first automatic (which was a Z3.)

It would work fine in Day mode, but I couldnt get it to move at night.
Also when another one came alongside me at the lights I put it in Race mode...... and hit the car behind.. :puzzle: I sold it soon afterwards.... :D
:roflmao:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I think this the the source of your :)))))
Warning - Don't piss yourself listening to this :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYsTw3PQKYA
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

i have a pre facelift 2.8 auto and this is what i have found:

if i leave the switch in eco mode it will drive as an auto should but i can also partially drive it like a manual too, IE i can select 1, 2, 3 or D (4th).....but lets say the switch is in eco mode and i select 3rd, it will, when needed change up into 4th or down into 2nd......

so...if i put the switch into manual mode (M) i can drive it like a manual..IE 1, 2, 3 & D (4th) but the box will not change gear at all when needed, it will wait for me to change it

Hope that makes sense
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

sirius-c wrote:...........Hope that makes sense
Mainly makes sense but in Manual & D I believe only 3rd gear is used but I stand to be corrected.

The quote I gave previously was from the Owners Handbook which is dated `97 and is supposed to cover roadster 1.8, 1.9, 2.8 and M Roadster. There may of course have been some changes between its' issue and the face-lift which are not covered. The book does not cover the combination of Positions 1, 2 & 3 and Manual mode only auto.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

The way it was explained to me and how I've driven Zippy for 12 years is..

Standard driving - the rocker switch is on E and the selector is D - auto box

Spirited driving when I want to upset the guy next to me :D - rocker switch flicked to S (lights up) and selector is D - much higher revs before box changes and you can watch your fuel gauge go down down down :shock:

Manual driving - rocker switch down to M then use the 1 2 3 and D as 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gear

p.s. that's not my centre console :( but I wish it was
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is