Anyone got an automatic

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Anyone got an automatic

Post by z3bedee »

I'm just testing the water at the moment but an old injury to my left knee is making it very difficult/painful to drive my manual zed at the moment. Therefore I am considering changing to an automatic as I love the car and wouldn't consider any other model. I just wondered if anyone had one and would appreciate peoples views or advice. My ideal car would be a 3.0l sport in black silver or blue if anyone knows where there is a good low mileage example for sale which I could buy, swap or part exchange.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Anyone got an automatic

Post by freds dad »

Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

I've got the 1.9 auto, as have a few others, so we are always open to the good-hearted `hairdresser's car' abuse :wink: .
If you're still in boy racer mindset then it is going to be a bit disappointing but I have no complaints about it. Let's face it on most UK roads, and conditions, it's plenty and you can always slip it into sports mode for a bit extra. You really need to test drive one before you take the plunge.
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Thanks for that Freds dad I like the look of the black one but don't relish the 400 mile journey there and back to Felixstowe to have a look at it. This may be a little cheeky but are there any Zedders living in that area that could have a look on my behalf and do a quick assesment as to the wether the journey would be justified?

Jonco although I do like to trot on a bit sometimes I think my boy racer days were over quite some time ago. Our "family" car is automatic and I must say I enjoy the more relaxed form of driving that it offers. I now prefer to look at the scenery as opposed to it being a blur :lol:
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

We've got a 3.0 auto with the 5 speed GM box. Perhaps it hasn't got quite the initial acceleration of a manual but there is no delay with gear changes and you also have the option of sport mode and manual change as well. The 0 to 60 times are quicker in my 5 series auto than the manual version. The only thing with the auto boxes is that they rarely drop into 1st unless in sport and the torque converter locks when doing above about 50 mph so then won't change down quite so quickly, that's just how they are supposed to work.
Happy hunting
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

z3bedee wrote: Jonco although I do like to trot on a bit sometimes I think my boy racer days were over quite some time ago. Our "family" car is automatic and I must say I enjoy the more relaxed form of driving that it offers. I now prefer to look at the scenery as opposed to it being a blur :lol:
:roflmao: know what you mean - it becomes more about `air through the hair' (while we've still got it) - but now the scenery is starting to blur at slower speeds - Specsavers next!
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

My 1.9Auto is precisely a "boy racer".
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

we have a 1.9 auto as my wife only drives autos but I have been taking it work this week and coming home down the lanes. to be honest, unless you really want to drive like a rally driver then the auto is enough fun.
I have an Impreza for times when I want to go into 'boy racer' mode but I have to say the zed matches it in the fun to drive stakes (especially in 'sport' even if it lakes the power of the impreza) - the handling has a lot to do with it. 8-)
the gearbox changes nice and smoothly and I find that, unlike some autos I have driven, I don't find myself wanting to take manual control of the gear changes. I also find the take off to be a lot more rapid than a manual :lol:
I have driven a manual 2.8 zed but I find the pedals too offset for me to be comfortable but I don't notice the offset with the auto.
I would say try one and see what you think but I don't think you will be disappointed. :D
hope it helps?
Last edited by Mugs on Fri 30 Aug, 2013 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

I have a 3 litre auto and am very happy with it. 3 modes, normal for pottering, sport if you want to be a bit lively and if you want to overtake, just slip it into manual, drop down and watch everyone disappear backwards.
It is also very useful if you have a problem, soon after I bought it I had an operation on my shoulder and had one arm in a sling for 6 weeks but still had no problems getting about. a year later, I broke my ankle and had 3 months with my leg in plaster, still no problems even though that was the winter of heavy snow.
seasick steve

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by seasick steve »

My wife suffers from arthritis in hands and ankles, and finds it hard to get out of the car - not an actual problem but she prefers it to her 320 and keeps driving the damned thing! :D
Its just so easy to drive. We have a 1998 2.8, and it satisfies all our needs for a fun wagon - and regularly returns 28 mpg so I am not complaining too loudly apart from the fuel tank size limiting distance between stops.
Go on - you're worth it!
Steve
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Thanks for all the replies I think I have just about managed to convince my other half that this is the way to go. Are there any zedders living in the Felixstowe area who could do me a big favour?
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I've got an 3.0iA - it's an absolute pleasure to drive - comfortable, quick and decent milage - you won't regret buying one!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

AK 47.../ WWII Bren Gun... / and a 9mm Magnum...life in Johannesburg can be hectic!! :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:AK 47.../ WWII Bren Gun... / and a 9mm Magnum...life in Johannesburg can be hectic!! :roflmao:
Oscar, is that you? :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...No bladerunner...it's hopalong here.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I have a 3.0 auto sport and before that I had a 2.0 manual, the auto wouldn't have been my first choice but once I see the car I fell in love !!

I have had the car now a couple of months and love it, the auto is just a just a joy to drive and I wouldn't go back to a manual now !!

The 2.0 returned about 30mpg but the auto driven sensible returns about 33mpg, however you put your foot to the floor and it takes off leaving most things way behind, the noise of the kick down is addictive and it's mentally quick. It has some slight mods so not sure if that's why it goes like hell but if you get one I don't think you will be disappointed !!